• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SheevaPlug or GuruPlug?  (Read 2820 times)
Anon

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »

Hello,
i'm new to plugcomputers and i would like to buy one to replace the old server i have (around 80W in power 24/7).

Right now my server is a file-server (samba and nfs), a SVN server and a web-server (apache+php+mysql).
I would like the new plugcomputer to replace it in all these functions plus run a tor-node/hidden-service and connect a webcam.

I use linux from a long time (mostly Mandriva) so i don't think ubuntu will be a problem to me.

Unfortunately i know almost nothing about plugcomputers so i ask your help to pick one that would satisfy my needs.
I'll have an eSata disk, so i can only choose plugcomputers with the eSata plug.

Which one should i choose? SheevaPlug or GuruPlug? If i have well understood GuruPlug is an evolution of SheevaPlug, but i have read here many "horror-stories" about it. It seems that it overheats and it stopped working to several users while the same users say that they never had a problem with SheevaPlug.

What is _your_ experience with GuruPlug?

Also, i see that GuruPlug does have an optional JTAG board... do i need it? What is it used for? Also... does the SheevaPlug come with the JTAG board too? Is it included in its price?

I see here http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=5 that there are two kinds of SheevaPlugs with eSata:
- eSata Sheeva
and
- eSata Sheeva Multi
what's the difference between the two? Why can't i find this "eSata Sheeva Multi" on the GlobalScale website?
Is the developer kit included also in the eSata Sheeva Multi?

Thank you,
  Anon

marcus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:02:32 AM »

If you wish to change the way the plugcomputer boots (eg from a different device) you'll need a JTAG connection (which is built in to the Sheevaplug, external for the Guruplug) to change the "environment variables" - like the BIOS on a desktop PC.

The multiboot version offered by NewIT is a a plug that has been preconfigured with settings suitable for booting from SD card or (failing that) the internal NAND. You can use the information available here to configure the plug in exactly the same way, if you think that you would enjoy that learning experience.

"Developer kit" doesn't mean anything except to describe the device as a whole; Globalscale seem to envisage that their customers will be OEMs who buy "development kits" as preparation for a customised / different end-user product. Maybe some are, maybe there are more individuals who have bought a plugcomputer for their own private purposes without the idea of developing an end-user retail product.

charles67
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

A GURU server plus is what I ordered, unfortunately GlobalScam has't shipped it since May 15.

Nor do they respond to emails or phone calls.  Angry

GOOD LUCK!

Jas47647
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 12:23:21 AM »

I prefer Sheeva. It's been solid for me.

2nice

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 02:53:38 AM »

Hi.

I had exactly the same thoughts but I ended up buying the Sheeva plug, because:
*) I found out that I could attach more than one usb device when using a powered usb hub.
*) I could download sd images which met my exact needs - and I wasn't sure that the Guruplug supported these images. (Maybe - but I played it safe)

You might want to go for the sheevaplug that has the eSata interface, since you already have such a harddrive.

I use my sheevaplug as fileserver (samba) printserver and music server (squeezebox server) and everything has worked fine - but it took some time and tweaking getting it all to work. :-)

Good luck with your plugcomputer when you decide.

Regards, Bo

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: