• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Guruplug PLus - USB died?  (Read 2962 times)
kerlon

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »

I have a Guruplug Server Plus with the delievered debian and an attached USB thumb drive. All of a sudden the USB thumb drive was not reachable anymore. I tried others but also no success the OS does not mount the drives anymore. The control lights on the sticks do not flash even once when I plug them. The drives still work on my other computers.

I tried lsusb it only lists a USB root hub but nothing else. The attached hardware is not listed. My idea is if even the attached is not listed by lsusb there might be a hardware problem.

Should I return the device or is there some other check I could try first?

My device got warm but not extensively but I'm afraid some hardware got burned inside.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:41:31 PM by kerlon » Logged

DubYa

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:17:57 AM »

kerlon;

As a general bit of advice:

Check the thumb drive on another computer if you have not already done so before you make any assumptions on what may or may not be wrong.

Always start with the cheap parts when hunting failure causes.

Tom

Sol, 3rd Rock, North American near the Middle Coast 43°18'00N

kerlon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 03:22:53 AM »

Thanks Tom for the hint:

I already checked if the thumb drives are still functioning. So the problem seems to be on the Guruplug side.

Kerlon

fbartels

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 04:09:52 AM »

Hi kerlon,

seems i am having the same problem.

Have you found another way of resureccting usb instead of returning the device?

Regards Felix

de

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 06:26:16 AM »

Hi,

i have the same issue on my new GuruPlug Server Plus. When i try plugging a USB device the ethernet ports go off. When i leave it plugged and reboot they come up again, but USB seems to remain dead. All i did was testing with two externally powered harddrive enclosures, after the successful test i tried connecting another one and then the Guruplug´s USB went dead. It even fails when i try plugging just a cable to the port, so maybe some sort of mechanical defect + electrical issue. The temperature seems not as hot as it was before...

I had a quick response from NewIT on my question, but still wait what to do. The conditions for return are tight with just 7 days for an international mail transfer.

I hope this problem is quickly solved, because i intended to order a second or third one in case this one works stable and i can port all tasks my NSLU2 do atm. Which probably takes longer if it turns out to be an issue in the series.

wbr,
Denny

kerlon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 05:30:46 AM »

Well I'm looking for advice if there is another way than lsusb to defintely dtect whether there is a hardware issue. So far I did not bring the USB back to life. Another thing that emphasizes the hardware theory is that USB stopped working immediately from one minute to the other. I will return the device.

Kerlon

cstein

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »

Hi all,

same here in Germany: USB died (maybe by rebooting the connected DSL-Router / 100 MBit?).
I can't connect any USB device any more (hdd + SD-card).

Christian

cstein

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:57:04 AM »

Hi all,

my GuruPlug Server Plus went out by RMA today to my reseller www.dureg.com.
waiting for response...

Christian

PS: I'm back on my very stable but slow slug
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 11:07:34 AM by cstein » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: