• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help building a serial cable for Guruplug  (Read 4900 times)
unaiur

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2010, 03:03:53 AM »

I have an Asus WL500gx wireless router that has an 8 pin header with two 3.3V serial ports (TX0, RX0, TX1, RX1, GND, +3.3V, RST and NC). I'm planing to connect port 1 to the GuruPlug. GP serial port has GND, TX, RX and +3.3V.

Can I directly connect GND-GND, RX1-TX, TX1-RX? Is any other component needed to isolate the devices?

Thanks.

unaiur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 03:27:08 AM »

I've also found a way to make a cheap USB to 3.3V serial port using a (not original) Nokia CA-42 cable (2 in ebay)

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Use_a_Nokia_Serial_Cable_on_an_ARM9_Linkstation

caseih

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »

I have an Asus WL500gx wireless router that has an 8 pin header with two 3.3V serial ports (TX0, RX0, TX1, RX1, GND, +3.3V, RST and NC). I'm planing to connect port 1 to the GuruPlug. GP serial port has GND, TX, RX and +3.3V.

Can I directly connect GND-GND, RX1-TX, TX1-RX? Is any other component needed to isolate the devices?

A common ground is all that's needed for regular RS232, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work in this case wiht 3.3V signalling.    The signals are relative to ground so if you tie the grounds together the signals should be compatible.

I'm not an EE person, so do everything at your own risk of course.

nocnokneo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »

unaiur,

Did you ever have success interfacing with the UART on the GuruPlug? If so, could you post the pinout of the cabling you used?

Thanks!

unaiur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:32:39 AM »

I haven't received the GP unit. I'll post the results when available.

electrickery

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 04:52:55 AM »

Hi (first post here :-) ),

If both sides have the serial port at 3.3V TTL level, it should work. I use the 3.3V or 5V serial console signals of several small boxes (NSLU2, WRT54G, etc.) regular to interface with a FT232R breakout box (serial-TTL to USB) interface. Skips the RS-232 voltage levels, and you don't need a spare serial port on your PC. I plan to do the same with the GuruPlug, but still need the very small 4-pin connector...

menuetto

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 04:44:33 PM »

** BEWARE ** USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK **

Looking at the 4-pin connector of my GP standard, from left to right:

1: +3.3V
2: Serial out (from the plug)
3: Serial in (to the plug)
4: GND

I successfully connected to the console by using a MAX3232 level converter, in order to be able to interface to the RS232 port on my computer. I used the reference design found on the datasheet. Serial port configuration is 115200, 8, N,1, no handshake.

HTH

--
J

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: