• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Update on GuruPlug shipping  (Read 4767 times)
teferi

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2010, 04:40:23 PM »

I just spoke to GlobalScale today and was told that the next batch of GuruPlugs (at least, Server Pluses, as that's what I ordered last month) won't be going out until the week of the 21st. They're doing another rev of the hardware because of the overheating problems everyone has noticed.

Kinda annoyed, but at least they're doing something, I guess.

Tidder

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:33:49 AM »

I just wanted to drop another update here.  I ordered two "Plus" versions at the beginning of May.  This is what I received earlier this morning.

We apologize for the delay.

We released the first batch of GuruPlug Servers and received feedback from
clients. Unfortunately there was a potential problem that is happening with
a few users in the field, so we held up the production.

The problem is directly related to heat generated by the load on the CPU.
Having 2 x 1Gb Ethernets and Wi-Fi running concurrently with other
interfaces, causes the CPU to work harder and a lot hotter. We have found
the GuruPlug's small enclosure, is not efficient as we would like at heat
dissipation, therefore we change the specification of GuruPlug Sever PLUS
version.

The GuruPlug Server “Plus” is designed in its current form for maximum usage
with one Gb Ethernet port and one 10/100Mb Ethernet port.  Whilst using the
unit in accordance to these parameters will solve the majority of “heat
problems”, it is highly recommended as an additional precaution you use
10/100MB speed connections for both Ethernet ports as it will further reduce
the high temperatures on the enclosure surface.

If you accept the change of specification, your order#(removed) will be ready
to be shipped by mid-August.

There may be some advanced users who really need 1Gb speed Ethernet
connection for both ports, and we understand the dilemma you may currently
face. Please rest assure we have not forgotten your requirements, and in
about 3-4 months time we will be releasing a simple to install
“Professional Upgrade Kit“  so you can take advantage of the higher speed
connections. In the interim the units will work effectively and the slightly
slower speed connection.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 11:49:01 PM »

Ouch.. Epic fail.. I guess just take the thing and install a fan..?

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

varkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 07:22:36 AM »

I had received the GuruPlug Server Plus with the heating issues and now contacted them asking for details regarding the revised product and this is what they send! Sad Sad

1.       For the rebooting issue, we will send you a new inductor and the instruction how to replace it on the main board.  If you are uncomfortable with replacing the “inductor”, you can return the units for repair.

2.       For the heat issue, the problem is directly related to heat generated by the load on the CPU.  Having 2 x 1Gb Ethernets and Wi-Fi running concurrently with other interfaces, causes the CPU to work harder and a lot hotter. We have found the GuruPlug's small enclosure, is not efficient as we would like at heat dissipation, therefore we changed the specification of GuruPlug Sever PLUS version.

The GuruPlug Server “Plus” is designed in its current form for maximum usage with one Gb Ethernet port and one 10/100Mb Ethernet port.  Whilst using the unit in accordance to these parameters will solve the majority of “heat problems”, it is highly recommended as an additional precaution you use 10/100MB speed connections for both Ethernet ports as it will further reduce the high temperatures on the enclosure surface.

As we continue to improve the use and reliability of our product(s), specifications are subject to change.

There may be some advanced users who really need 1Gb speed Ethernet connection for both ports, and we understand the dilemma you may currently face. Please rest assure we have not forgotten your requirements, and in about 3-4 months time we will be releasing a simple to install  “Professional Upgrade Kit“  so you can take advantage of the higher speed connections. In the interim the units will work effectively and the slightly slower speed connection.

Thank-you for your support in purchasing our product and we apologize for the anxiety and inconvenience caused!

Best Regards,

Support 1103

Globalscale Technologies, Inc.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »

hey buy our new supersportscar it has a range of 200 mpg.

*sell cars*

oh, sorry it only has 10mpg, we changed the sign. If you are lucky we will release a new supersportscar in one year that will have the 200 mpg. If you are even luckier you can _buy_ an upgrade kit. Till then, just put your car on a trailer, you will get an infinite mpg range then.

weltall

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 05:07:45 AM »

i wonder who will pay for the professional upgrade kit as it wasn't exactly cheap already...

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/news.aspx

zzort

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »

I don't know how they can even think of charging customers extra for the "upgrade" kit to bring the GuruPlug up to the spec that was advertised, especially when some of these customers have waited several months, after having their credit cards charged, before this announcement was made.

I think I will attempt to cancel my order. This is very disappointing and frustrating.

charles67
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 03:52:50 PM »

From what I've seen on these forums, it sounds like when they wait is over, I'll have a defective unit.  And it'll be 2months wait in about 1 week. Angry

Time to cancel!

teferi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 09:21:37 AM »

Update #2, another month later: My GuruPlug Server Plus + JTAG board has, after arguing with GlobalScale every day this week, finally shipped as of yesterday evening (I have a live tracking number and everything).

The plugs now shipping - if any besides mine have shipped - do have 1x10/100 Ethernet and 1xGigabit Ethernet ports instead of the 2x Gigabit ports originally promised. The gentleman at GlobalScale I spoke to said that this should be enough to prevent the overheating problems (even with wifi running). Nothing was mentioned about the "Upgrade Kit" GlobalScale claims to be planning to offer in a few months, leading me to believe that this is what the second-generation plug computer is going to look like, period. This doesn't affect me too badly because one of those ethernet ports was going to my cable modem (which is decidedly not gigabit) anyway, but people with fancier needs than mine should be aware.

I can't say that I'm planning on doing business with GlobalScale again. This plug is arriving two months late and short on originally promised features, and I was charged for it on order day, which is awfully dodgy if not verging on mail fraud. I hope that it works and that I don't have to go through this again to get a replacement, but either way, I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for my future tinycomputer needs. Anyone know of any other manufacturers in this space?

dacota

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 02:25:39 PM »

I'm hoping I didn't miss a posting somewhere for this, but if Globalscale is going to be charging for the upgrade kid, how is this not bait-and-switch?

Has anyone gotten any indication that people who ordered the device before the change in specifications are going to be getting the kit gratis?

Tidder

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »

Update #2, another month later: My GuruPlug Server Plus + JTAG board has, after arguing with GlobalScale every day this week, finally shipped as of yesterday evening (I have a live tracking number and everything).

The plugs now shipping - if any besides mine have shipped - do have 1x10/100 Ethernet and 1xGigabit Ethernet ports instead of the 2x Gigabit ports originally promised.

That's weird.  They shipped me two of the older units with dual gigabit.  It appears however that on both of my units, they disabled one of the gigabit ports!?  I can't do jack with the eth0 interface on both units.  Now I know it's possible I got two defective units that have the exact same port bad... but my spidey sense tells me something fishy is going on.  Both of my units have been opened previously as there is a warranty sticker on top of a torn warranty sticker that was originally there.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 12:35:58 PM »

afaik all units have been opened to replace the PSU. If you open it (voiding your waranty) you will see that they broke out some plastic parts to make room for the psu.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: