• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Replacement Power Supply  (Read 1598 times)
debio

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:19:34 PM »

My plug started rebooting this morning, and after the third reboot, I unplugged it, thinking it was probably overheating. After plugging it back in, I got the familiar flashing green light and ethernet lights, and upon taking it apart, it looks like my power supply has failed.
What's strange is that my plug has been running for months with an externally powered Western Digital Essentials hard drive, so I don't think I fall into the category of people that ran hard drives off the sheevaplug. Still, it's clear which capacitor went bad, and my power supply is definitely the issue.

Now, is the issue fixed in Globalscale's replacement power supplies, or should I be going with something like http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-5V-3A-AC-DC-Power-adapter-Power-supply-Well_W0QQitemZ280325831479QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Networking_Components?hash=item4144b8bb37? On the one hand, Globalscale's replacement would keep the plug looking decent, but on the other hand, I'd much rather spend a few hours rigging up my own power supply if Globalscale is going to be slow and/or provide a replacement with the same low capacity as the original.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:24:36 PM by debio » Logged

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:53:52 PM »

buy an external PSU and forget about globalscales.

I was running an external powered USB drive for nine months and had the same issue. (Sheevaplug 1.3, 240V, external powered HD). If it is used heavier it blows earlier. But in the end it's just a matter of time until the PSU blows.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: