• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: USB NIC  (Read 1967 times)
colonelxc

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »

First, it's great to see that a brand new community has sprung up around this new device.  I've been using linux for 5ish years, but never in an embedded environment such as this.

My plan is to turn my SheevaPlug into a firewall, to replace my current overpowered and noisy one.  Since there's only one NIC, I got a USB one, a Trendnet TU2-ET100, but i guess not surprisingly, the device doesn't seem to come with drivers for it out of the box.

First, here is the relevant dmesg info from my laptop, which is running Ubuntu 8.10

Code:
usb 3-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
eth1: register 'asix' at usb-0000:00:1a.7-2, ASIX AX88772 USB 2.0 Ethernet, 00:50:b6:05:43:c4
usbcore: registered new interface driver asix

Then here is the output from Sheeva

Code:
usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_marvell and address 3
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

So it seems the Sheeva isn't recognizing the device and/or doesn't have the relevant driver available.  Any tips for how to get this device working?

bzhou
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »

See http://openplug.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=92.0 for one way of getting kernel modules.

solstice

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »

I have the similar card with the same vendor. It was detected right off the bat after I recompiled the kernel and install the modules (note, I did not reinstall the kernel since I kept everything the same.)

The easiest way is copy the default config file from Marvell's documentation. Then export INSTALL_MOD_PATH to a local directory. make;make modules_install.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: