• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Guruplug server plus and networking  (Read 1721 times)
staran

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »

Hello,

I just got the guruplus server plus and would like to set this up as a wifi client. I understand that the plug boots up as a wifi access point upon reboot. How do I change that to a wifi client without losing network connectivity. I was able to ssh into this when it was acting as a wifi access point. All I want is to be able to have the plus access my existing wifi sid which uses encryption. If that works, I also want the plus to use the ethernet port instead of wifi.

Thanks in advance for your help.
-ST

Maggo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:43:22 AM »

Please have a look on the /root/init_setup.sh file and in the wiki:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Setting_GuruPlug_to_be_a_WiFi_Client

greets

staran

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »

Here is what the link says.

1) Upon bootup, GuruPlug will always come up in Access Point mode. So the first step is to switch the mode to WLAN client.
Moment I run the wlan.sh script, I lose network connection??

2) Upon switching from AP to WLAN client mode, a new interface "wlan0" will be created. All the further operations will be done on this interface.

Network connection is lost; how do I do this? Where can I get wpa_supplicant binary?? It is not loaded on the plug.

Thanks,

staran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »

I added the following to wlan.sh and used a wired connection to eth0

ifup eth0

ifconfig wlan0 up
wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -c /root/my.conf -B
iwconfig wlan0 essid "HOMEROUTER"
dhclient3 wlan0

This brings up my wired connection and wireless. However with the same settings if I do not use the wired eth0 and do the switch to wifi client mode the wifi does not work. I am confused as to what is the issue.
BTW, I do not have an entry for wlan0 in my /etc/network/interfaces file. I have a static IP enabled for eth0 in this interface file. I tried putting an entry for wlan0 in this file and it not seem to help.

Appreciate any help.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: