• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Media Database Suggestions (Google Desktop Alternative?)  (Read 2232 times)
Trune

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can help me, i have a sheevaplug serving lots of things, including my music.
Ive tried firefly, squeezebox, twonky etc and none of them can handle my 200,000 file music collection. Its just not practical.

My basic requirement for all 200,000 tracks is searchability.... basically i wanna find if i have got something, and find it fast.

So i was wondering if there is a similar solution to google desktop.

i used to use google desktop to index my drives, and give me a webpage which i visited (pretty much a google search engine of my music). i typed the track name, it returned all matches, a hyperlink to open the file in my favourite player, and a file link to the folder location.

is there a similar solution to this i can get for the sheevaplug? and use either a gagdget of some kind or a webpage on client machines to find the tracks i have etc.

any help is appreciated.

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:18:12 PM »

Take a look at www.recoll.org

The only thing it's lacking is a webUI. It has Python and very preliminary PHP bindings though.

I'm not familiar with Web development. But I'd like to help in any possible way.

This is, in my opinion, a very essential feature for a NAS solution.

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:56:21 AM »

hmm ive had a look and really cant work out how to use it or how id interface it into anything, i think its a bit beyond me really...

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:10:29 AM »

It IS a google-desktop-search alternative. You can try it on your desktop.

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »

Yeah i realise it is, but i dont think im capable of getting it to run on my sheevaplug and then interface it into some sort of webpage for every remote pc connecting to the sheevaplug to search it.

hausschuh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 01:42:10 PM »

What happens if you mount your Plug via NFS/SMB as Networkdrive and use Google Desktop to index it?

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 10:55:52 AM »

It would work, but it means id have to do it on every machine i wanted it available on.

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »

well i tried it out on the sheevaplug... and it does the job. but i cannot find anyway that i can interface it to multiple clients (windows, iphone, linux) that really needs to be a webpage and cannot really find anything about how to do that which is a shame.

i thought there would be tons of software solutions out there for this.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: