• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: GuruPlug Server Plus Heat Problems  (Read 137686 times)
doragasu

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »

After months of waiting for Global Scale to release a solution to the overheat problems, and seeing the crappy and noisy solution using the mini-fan, I finally decided to mod my unit to solve the problem. I have found a small heatsing that fits perfectly inside the GP case (once the power supply is removed) and has a little fan. The fan is rated 12V, and I'm running it with 5V, so it turns slowly and makes almost no air flow, but I think it should be enough and due to the slow speed, it doesn't do any noticeable noise.

I removed the power source, attached a jack connector in the opposite side of the ports, opened a window in the lower side of the box, placed the heatsink using some paste and attached a 5V/5A power source. I left this setup running for more than 24h, with a external 2,5" USB harddisk attached, one GB Ethernet port medium CPU load and low network traffic, and it's running flawlessly. The sink gets a little hot, but nothing to worry about. The case also gets a bit warm. Before I did the mod, the unit case became really hot (Eternet ports were uncomfortable to touch) and constantly rebooted even with only one 100 Mbps port and low CPU load.

I hope it continues working when I raise the CPU load and network traffic, and also when summer returns...

It's really a shame to have to loose time and money doing these kind of things GlobalScale shoud have solved before launching a defective product...

robertut

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »

Same here.  Huh

Here are my hw mods to GuruPlug Server, see pics attached.

* Guru01.jpg (76.38 KB, 600x498 - viewed 3875 times.)

* Guru02.jpg (60.41 KB, 600x503 - viewed 3721 times.)

* Guru03.jpg (70.89 KB, 600x498 - viewed 3731 times.)

* Guru04.jpg (60.31 KB, 600x532 - viewed 3729 times.)

robertut

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »

More pictures - part 2.

After removing and inspecting the internal PSU, I decided to get from eBay a much better one, which allows to fine-tune the output voltage by milivolts using a trimmer. It's a 5V 5.5A unit, much easier and safer than to use the original PSU, it's already boxed - and much cheaper.

The fan is a 12V one (40mm / 7mm thin - there is room for thicker). Heatsinks also from eBay - self-sticking.

Works flawlessly - and zero noise.

* Guru05.jpg (36.07 KB, 600x444 - viewed 3735 times.)

* Guru06.jpg (40.26 KB, 600x404 - viewed 3692 times.)

* Guru07.jpg (21.58 KB, 600x394 - viewed 3658 times.)

* Guru08.jpg (57.45 KB, 600x373 - viewed 3678 times.)

varkey

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2010, 02:46:03 PM »

Wow! Looks good. Smiley

Can you post the direct links of the items you purchased from eBay and also its cost?

varkey

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »

Are these the heatsinks that you got? Smiley

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260501888001&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280425004361&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

ryazor

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2010, 01:38:08 AM »

Hello guys,

I own a guruplug plus server for about 10 month. I use it with plugbox linux (ArchLinux) and was all happy with that device. Until yesterday...

I "successfully" attached my unused passive heat sink from my old nvidia 5200 gfx card to the guruplug. I removed the metal plate, removed the cheap heat pads and cleaned the surfaces, added some silicone paste, reattached the metal plate and attached the heat sink to that plate. I ran stress --cpu 1 for over an hour without problems. Even filetransfer over an gbit/s ethernet network worked like a charm without rebooting (tested with only one gbit/s interface). I will try to post some photos the next days, but do not own a camera, so I might have to improvise.

But then the disillusion: Just before going to sleep, I wanted to move the whole opened device with the psu within the case to cover it from the cat, since I do not own a better case right now and with the heat sink attached, it does not fit into the whole guruplug case. Then it happened: power down. Afterwards nothing. In my opinion there are two opportunities. First, since I saw the red +5V cable from the psu was broken, I thought this might be the fail. So I tried to solder the cable to the psu. This was not successful. When supply the psu with power, the green and one of the two red leds shines, but the other red led which normally blinks is off. So I fear, I finally broke my whole device by a short-circuit while moving the device.
I will try to buy a new power supply with 5V/3A DC, but in fact, I am not really confident that this will work out.

Does anybody had a likewise problem (one green, one red led shining permanent)? Might it be possible to bring my guruplug back to work?

(I hope, this is the right thread and my English is more or less understandable)
Thanks in advance,
R.

robertut

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2010, 02:50:54 AM »

Exactly. (I didn't provide direct links in my previous post, as after the item ends, the link becomes invalid)

PSU: http://global.ebay.com/5V_DC_55A_30W_Regulated_Switching_Power_Supply_/270612998405/item

It's a very stable power supply, I'm using one for my modded router too. I strongly advice it to the GuruPlug also: not only cheaper, but much better build quality and precise voltage control using the little trimmer and a screwdriver. Use a multimeter to set voltage to exactly 5.00 Volts.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:54:45 AM by robertut » Logged

robertut

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2010, 03:34:14 AM »

Prices:
Copper heatsink for CPU: ~4.3 USD incl shipping, 8 pcs in a pack, need only 2
Aluminium heatsink for ram, flash, nic: ~2.7 USD incl shipping, 8 pcs in a pack, need only 6
External PSU: ~12 USD incl shipping
FAN Metal Wire 40mm Grill/Guard: ~2 USD incl shipping (see this)

I got the 40mm fan from a local store - it's actually a chipset cooler set, just removed the fan from the chipset heatsink. It's a 12V fan, which spins with zero noise at 5V.

robertut

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2010, 04:06:51 AM »

I will try to buy a new power supply with 5V/3A DC, but in fact, I am not really confident that this will work out.
Try with another PSU - your desktop PC's internal power supply has 5V and enough ampers, so take black as minus, red as plus from there, and see if your plug works. If it does, your power supply died. If it doesn't, your plug's mobo died - use as a brick.

ryazor

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2010, 04:45:37 AM »

@robertut: Thanks for your answer. You mean, I should try connecting the plug to a peripheral or floppy drive connector (5V)? I have few desktop PC power supplies unused, so I could try this. Regards, R.

robertut

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2010, 04:57:02 AM »

You mean, I should try connecting the plug to a peripheral or floppy drive connector (5V)? I have few desktop PC power supplies unused, so I could try this.
Yes. Moreover, if it works, I'd keep using the Guruplug with one of them, dedicated with a DC jack or molex connector - as the desktop PC power supply is definitely more reliable and accurate than the original one.

ryazor

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2010, 02:15:02 PM »

Hi again,

well it seems like its really dead...  Cry
The one red LED keeps shining, while the other red LED is off. No reaction when connecting via serial interface.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for the bad quality of the pictures (taken from a webcam).
Looks like I have to buy a new device for managing my server needs Sad

Regards, R.

KMarshall

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2011, 12:46:28 PM »

I received a GuruPlug Server Plus (Noisy Edition) on December 6th, did an apt-get upgrade a couple days after, and still have stability issues. I tried disabling wifi and bluetooth and have had the same problems on Ethernet. Has anyone else had these issues with the box? Unfortunately I haven't had much time to tinker with the box, so I'm not sure if I should look into getting it replaced (if I can) of if there is anything else I can try out.

doragasu

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »

I had all kind of stability issues and random reboots with my GP+, even using only a 100 Mbps Ethernet port, no WiFi and no Bluetooth. My unit was a 1st batch one, without the noisy fan. Since I modded it adding a fan and a big sink, and replacing the internal power source with a external one, it works flawlessly.

In the software side, I also replaced the default debian distro with a minimal custom Angstrom build.

I don't have the noisy GP, so I don't know if your problem is because of a defective unit, or if it's a general problem (like with the first units).

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Print
Jump to: