• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: GuruPlug Server Plus Heat Problems  (Read 135339 times)
mihanson

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2010, 05:25:49 PM »

I just got off the phone with Globalscale a few minutes ago and was told they upgrade kit would become available the 2nd week of September...so next week.  I gave my original order number and was told I would be notified when it becomes officially available.

Mike

schnupfy

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »

I received my guruplug plus 2 days ago (have ordered it mid April...)

It came with a fan and seems to be stable (although when I switched the default Debian installation to init 3 it died after a few minutes after every power reset).

The problem that I found is that the fan extremely noisy. Our house is about 15m long and if the device sits on my desk (one end at the house) I am able to hear it at the other end. It also vibrates if it is put onto the ground or plugged into the wall. Seems to me like a quick and dirty solution...

Cheers,
Marcus

asus389

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »

So do all of these marvell based plug computers have the same heat issue since they are based off of the same design, or is there something special about the guruplug?

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2010, 11:47:01 PM »

It came with a fan and seems to be stable (although when I switched the default Debian installation to init 3 it died after a few minutes after every power reset).

Could you please take one or more pictures?

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 01, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »

So do all of these marvell based plug computers have the same heat issue since they are based off of the same design, or is there something special about the guruplug?

My SheevaPlug did not have any heat issues...only the power supply has to be changed....
I got the new power-supply-version from Globalescale (via NewIT) in me Sheevaplug and
no problems.
The Dockstar also didnt got any heat problems (but only 128MB Ram...but cheap here in Germany...now 24,90EUR)

schnupfy

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2010, 12:21:12 AM »

Could you please take one or more pictures?

I don't think that it looks any different to the previous one and I do not want to open it yet, as I still have some warranty left and just en-quired about the noise that little thing is making...

Cheers,
Marcus

stefba

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2010, 12:55:32 AM »

Hello,

I'm interested in some photos of the micro fan, too. Or at least it would be very interesting to know where the fan is located. I can imagine that it is very difficult to mount a fan without changing the plug's case. There's not much space. Any info about how Globalscale tried to solve the heat problem would be highly appreciated  Wink

Stefba

schnupfy

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-guruplugdetails.aspx#extern

That is how my guruplug plus looks like.

Will open it when the warranty is over.

Cheers,
Marcus

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 03, 2010, 02:42:01 AM »

This are the same pictures which show my "old" Guruplug Plus without micro-fan

schnupfy

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 03, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »

So nothing has changed then on the case then Wink

gsk99

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »

I just got mine as well.  I can't see any difference in the case but that new fan is really noisy.  My PC with the multiple fans in it doesn't make nearly this much noise.  I haven't played with it yet to see if it adjusts speed according to the temperature inside like the PC does.

- Scott

dacota

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2010, 03:57:51 PM »

I've attempted emailing global scale but I have yet to receive a response to any of my e-mails to them.  Has anyone received the pro upgrade kit for their GuruPlug? or perhaps any details about them being sent out?

TIA

gsk99

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »

I posted internal pics of the "newly redesigned" jet engine turbofan equipped GuruPlug Server Plus at http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=2295.0

- Scott

somm15

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2010, 12:02:06 AM »

I just received mine (new GuruPlug Server Plus) and it's totally unacceptable.
I never had such a noisy device at home. Even locked in in small room, I can hear it in the whole appartement.
I decided to order a GuruPlug 3 months ago to setup a noiseless server...

And I don't think that there is any way to control the fan speed. Even with the device turned off the fan is still spinning. I think they just connected the fan to the power supply...

Byron

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2010, 12:25:58 PM »

After about 4 months I received my noiseless guru plug server plus, and the first thing it did was destroying my hear with its incredible fan noise and vibration. When checking the little vents at the side of the casing, one could hardly feel any airflow, which might show the minimal effect of the unadaptive cooling.

I tried to get it setup while keeping it on my table, but soon I decided to put it far away right next to the router, into a closed box. Even though the room it was in is rather large, you could hear it everywhere.

After the very initial setup, and just an hour later, I decided this has to stop, and disconnected the fan.

Even though I only have one usb harddisk attached, one 100 MBit ethernet connection, and no wifi or bluetooth ( the drivers are unloaded now ), its getting quite hot even without any real work.

I truly hope it will work for me without overheating, but time will tell I suppose. In a way I like it, it looks good, and clearly is something to play with, regarding the software it runs, and the hardware apparently.

Wouldn't it be fun to see all kinds of anti-overheat-hardware-mods pop-up here Wink ?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to: