• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: GuruPlug Server Plus Heat Problems  (Read 134439 times)
sk.akties

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »

I modded my GP+ at last as depicted above using an old ATX Power supply. It works well and is not destructive for
the original casing etc. I have used thermal glue for an old reused pentium 2 CPU heat sink (it fits after some cutting on the main board).

The Ethernet/usb ports however are now cool.
However the new heat sink still gets really hot: I can hardly touch the cooling surface.

Anyone an idea how much cooling surface is needed to get this low power / turbo heater  Cool cool so I
can leave it on as intended 24/7?

alessio

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »

mhtsaras,

1. Yes, I did insert additional metal plates in the cavities to improve thermal disipation from heat spreader to heat sink.
I prepared those small plates from aluminium.

2. Besides thermal compound, I think you are certainly fine with glue to tighten the heat sink.

mhtsaras

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2010, 01:20:25 PM »

I found an old cpu heat sink and after I cut it a little it was a perfect fit for my sheeva plug.
Except for the thermal silicon paste I also used a plastic cord to tighten the heat sink, I placed it on the side of the leds, where the cpu is located to put more pressure to the heat sink on the cpu, this plastic cord can hold 85 celcius so I think that it won't melt.
The only problem that I was worrying was that the metal heat spreader on top of sheeva board has a little curve so the heat sink wasn't fitting perfectly so I putted a lot of thermal silicon paste to fill the gaps.
Now with a normal use the heat sink is heating a little but when the plug runs with a big cpu load then the heat sink is getting very hot, and this means that it's working.
I'm glad that I helped my little beloved plug to cool down and feel better, also my sd card now is very cool.
As you can see on the pictures I didn't bother to put the other half of the plug and left it open for the air to flow (especially between the psu and the board), it' s more cool that way.  Wink

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:35:47 PM by mhtsaras » Logged

raf64flo

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2010, 04:16:59 PM »

For your information, I don't know if the information has already be given here (I don't have read all posts), but the heat problem has been received by the Globascale:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/news.aspx?showarticle=4

7/5/2010
Guru Plug Server - Plus Technical Announcement
Some of you may have experience “heat problems” when using your Guru Plug Server  “Plus” under certain conditions.  You will be pleased to know we have isolated the problem, and would like to make the following clarifications and the recommended procedure to eliminate this problem.

There have been a number of postings in the Forums stating the problem was caused by the power supply, and, while in the past we had issues due to some bad capacitors, this in reality has been more of a smoke screen.

The problem is directly related to heat generated by the load on the CPU.   Having 2 x 1Gb Ethernets and WI-FI running concurrently with other interfaces, causes the CPU to work harder and a lot hotter. We have found the  GuruPlug ‘s small enclosure , is not efficient as we would like at heat dissipation, therefore we suggest the following as a workaround.   

The GuruPlug Server “Plus” is designed in its current form for maximum usage with one Gb Ethernet port and one 10/100Mb Ethernet port.  Whilst using the unit in accordance to these parameters will solve the majority of “heat problems”, it is highly recommended as an additional precaution you use 10/100MB speed connections for both Ethernet ports as it will further reduce the high temperatures on the enclosure surface.

There may be some advanced users who really need the 1Gb speed connection, and we understand the dilemma you may currently face. Please rest assure we have not forgotten your requirements, and in about 3-4 months  time we will be releasing a simple to install  “Professional Upgrade Kit“  so you can take advantage of the higher speed connections. In the interim the units will work effectively and the slightly slower speed connection.

Thank-you for your support in purchasing and using our product and, we apologize for the anxiety and inconvenience caused!

As we continue to improve the use and reliability of our product(s), specifications are subject to change without notice.

sk.akties

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »

For your information, I don't know if the information has already be given here (I don't have read all posts), but the heat problem has been received by the Globascale:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/news.aspx?showarticle=4

I read that before but the content does not make sense: even with the changes they suggest the device heats up too much.
So this is not a solution.

Anyone else who can confirm that the GS suggestions do work and the device operates within normal temperature ranges?

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »

Anyone else who can confirm that the GS suggestions do work and the device operates within normal temperature ranges?
This is hardly definitive, but here is one data point:  With one ethernet connected at 100Mb and Wi-Fi active, my idling GuruPlug Plus runs about as warm on its base load as my SheevaPlug does, which is to say it is comfortably warm to the touch, but not hot.

I really wonder, given what others have posted here, whether there is a reasonably significant variation among Plugs in this regard.

YMMV.

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2010, 11:20:29 PM »

The following announcement is from Globalscale website here: http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/news.aspx

7/17/2010 Guru Plug Server - Professional Upgrade Kit

First of all, we wish to thank our loyal customers who have been very patient and stood by us while we were resolving the “Heat Problem” with the GuruPlug Server Plus!

Further to our announcement about a week ago, we are pleased to advise of the permanent solution to the problem. In the coming weeks (not months), we will be releasing the simple to install “Professional Upgrade Kit”. Part of this kit includes a micro fan with wire harness.  This fan will not only dissipates the heat being generated by the CPU, but also brings the GuruPlug Server Plus back in line with its original specifications. Therefore, those of you who bought the Plug specifically to run 2 x 1Gb ethernet will be able to do so freely and without limitations.

The “Professional Upgrade Kit” together with full instructions, will be provided free of charge on request to all existing users of the GuruPlug Server Plus, but there will be a nominal shipping and handling charge . We will be issuing instructions shortly on how to obtain a kit.

Those of you who receive units from shipments starting in August 2010, will have the kit already installed and you will be able to run all applications to the fullest from the get go.

We apologize for not making this announcement sooner, but we wanted to do our “due diligence” and carry out exhaustive field and thermal tests to ensure you will be receiving  a quality and robust product which captures the “always on eco friendly” philosophy of the “Plug Computer”.

Thank-you once again for your encouraging support while we were dealing with this problem, and we hope you will  check our web-site regularly for details on more new and exciting products that will be introduced in the coming months.

hargoth

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »

Heat + reboot.

Initially tried with 2 1GB connections and experienced the heat and reboot issues everyone else is reporting.

After doing some research, and reading about the 1GB issue, the final installation was set as:

eth0 connected to 100MB cable modem
eth1 connected to 1GB switch.
wifi hot spot
Bluetooth enabled

This set up runs well, once it does boot.  Usually takes ~5 minutes to boot, with 2-10 reboots before it eventually comes up.

We bridged eth1 with the wifi device and offer the same dhcp pool across both.  This allows a media server to be seen by both wired and wifi clients.

However, if the GB port is used heavily to move data to/from the guru plug server, it will overheat and reboot itself.  This was tested by copying music and video files from a a system with a GB port on the same switch to the microsd card on the guru plug server.

For normal router/web filter applications it works very well.  Only the wifi antenna as an access point is a bit week.

The changes currently being made to the hardware, and the offer of the free update, have encouraged us to buy a couple more of these.  We anticipate the August delivery, and at that time will decide if these can be used as a fast home router with web filtering, wifi access point, and media server abilities.

It is our intention to attach a 7 drive eSATA storage device to it and test sharing several terrabytes of media from it.  Even with the old unit, we will test putting the guru plug in the path of the air flow from the esata device fans, and test if that is enough to allow the GB port to be used under heavy load.

lgnome

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »

Please keep in mind that when there is that much heat (for the GuruPlug to reboot itself), there IS damage being done inside the device. 
That damage is cumulative and will cause the device to prematurely fail, often in a catastrophic manner.

As has been described before, the thermal design of the GuruPlug is highly flawed.  Those flaws MUST be corrected in order to have a reliable platform to base all of our wonderful ideas for groundbreaking applications.  Until that happens, any "real" application will be compromised by a terrible lack of reliability.  It is WAY overdue for GlobalScale (and any other vendors) to suck it up and do this properly.  And not sell us crap and call it a Baby Ruth   Angry

dacota

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2010, 07:37:14 AM »

The following announcement is from Globalscale website here: http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/news.aspx

First of all, we wish to thank our loyal customers who have been very patient and stood by us while we were resolving the “Heat Problem” with the GuruPlug Server Plus!

Further to our announcement about a week ago, we are pleased to advise of the permanent solution to the problem. In the coming weeks (not months), we will be releasing the simple to install “Professional Upgrade Kit”. Part of this kit includes a micro fan with wire harness.  This fan will not only dissipates the heat being generated by the CPU, but also brings the GuruPlug Server Plus back in line with its original specifications. Therefore, those of you who bought the Plug specifically to run 2 x 1Gb ethernet will be able to do so freely and without limitations.

The “Professional Upgrade Kit” together with full instructions, will be provided free of charge on request to all existing users of the GuruPlug Server Plus, but there will be a nominal shipping and handling charge . We will be issuing instructions shortly on how to obtain a kit.

Those of you who receive units from shipments starting in August 2010, will have the kit already installed and you will be able to run all applications to the fullest from the get go.

We apologize for not making this announcement sooner, but we wanted to do our “due diligence” and carry out exhaustive field and thermal tests to ensure you will be receiving  a quality and robust product which captures the “always on eco friendly” philosophy of the “Plug Computer”.

Thank-you once again for your encouraging support while we were dealing with this problem, and we hope you will  check our web-site regularly for details on more new and exciting products that will be introduced in the coming months.

I may be the only one keeping an eye on this, but sometime over the weekend or yesterday there was an update to the GlobalScale site where the above quoted update has been removed.

I've really got to say that GlobalScale has some interesting business practices. -- Just thought I would share.

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2010, 08:05:07 AM »

Interresting!

I checked it last night and it was still there !!

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2010, 10:55:20 AM »

Hi,

The 7/17/2010 news item about the replacement get well kit is NOT on the Globalscale news web page.

This is a copy from the NewIT forum:-

The last NEWS item is the /7/5/2010 item about how not to overheat your GuruPlug

cheers

Patrick
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:06:05 AM by superpat » Logged

gsk99

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2010, 08:10:08 PM »

I called them a few days ago and was told that a shipment of the newly redeisgned version of the plug was arriving on Aug24th and they would probably start shipping Aug 25th.  Who knows if that will happen but at least it's a lot more definite than things I've been told in the past.

doragasu

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2010, 12:54:39 AM »

I hope this "Professional Upgrade Kit" solves all the heat problems, and I also hope this kit is shipped soon. I had a hard time compiling a custom Angstrom distribution for my plug, and it's really painful to find my plug reboots when it has some little CPU load.

I've been really patient, but my patience has a limit. Maybe I should have bought a beagleboard Sad.

gsk99

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »

Called them again after Aug 24th came and went with no word on the supposed shipment... now I'm being fed a line about delays in customs and shipping starts Sept 7th.  If no tracking number shows up by then I give up and will be getting a refund.  The project I wanted it for is almost past anyways.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to: