• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: GuruPlug Server Plus Heat Problems  (Read 132762 times)
fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2010, 06:06:11 AM »

a sink of this size should be capable to transport the 10W of the plug by convection and not require a fan. Would you mind trying?

varkey

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2010, 06:42:48 AM »

I have also modified my GPS+.

I have replaced PSU with external unit, added heat sink and its fan.

~Aleš

Looks good, does the entire thing fit inside the case incl the sink?

How much did the heatsink cost? Can you post pics of your completed setup Smiley

uwgandalf

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »

You say it runs perfect now, does that mean 2x Gbit and wlan on  ?

alessio

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2010, 02:26:54 PM »

What is the noise level of the CPU fan? Could it run also on 5V?

The fan is actually very quiet. There is more noise coming from 2x 1TB WD HDD attached to GPS+.

I tested few fans and some can run on 5V, but the one I finally used does not. It starts spining at 7-8V.
So this is the reason for adding Traco power boost switcher.

a sink of this size should be capable to transport the 10W of the plug by convection and not require a fan. Would you mind trying?

I absolutely agree with you. This heatsink is a hugh overkill. Nevertheless, while CPU stressing the GPS+,
the heatsink does get warm without the fan being turned on. I estimate the temperature to be
cca. 40-45 degrees Celsius. With the fan turned on, the heat sink is pretty cold. Nearly as cold
as a beer should be. ;-) ( The switch mounted on the case is used to turn on/off the fan.)

I had a huge overheating problems before, so I want to be double sure that this problem is solved for good.
I posted the pictures taken with thermovision camera before, where we can clearly see that before
modifying the GPS+, the inside temperature was well above 90 degrees Celsius!*!??!

Looks good, does the entire thing fit inside the case incl the sink?

How much did the heatsink cost? Can you post pics of your completed setup Smiley

The modifed version doesn't fit inside the case. I just kept the lower part of the case
and put the electronics there.

I picked the heatsink and fan from an old PC motherboard, so I can't tell you the price.
I will attach some pics of my final setup tomorrow.

You say it runs perfect now, does that mean 2x Gbit and wlan on  ?

Unfortunatelly, I don't have an option to test Gbit network. GPS+ is connected to my
trusted Asus 500g Premium Wlan router via 100Mbit Ethernet. I also don't use Wifi
on GPS+, as this is a task for the Asus as well with added directional antenna.
In the near future, I plan to switch to Gbit and Wifi N router, but it won't happen
in a week.

When I said that GPS+ is running perfectly, I actually meant that it doesn't reboot
and heat up anymore of course. GPS+ is used as HTTP, FTP, SSH and Samba server,
torrent client and NAS with 2x 1TB HDD.

rworkman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »

I decided to crack open the case on mine, and I'll be transferring the contents into a slightly larger plastic project box from Radio Shack, adding some small MOSFET heat sinks to the metal plate on the underside of the board, and adding two 30mm case fans (one blowing out and one blowing in).  I'm going to do this with the stock power supply; since I don't use the wireless or bluetooth capabilities, I think it will be to handle the extra 0.2 amps from the fans.  If not, I'll swap it out for a 5A power supply.  I'll follow up with pics when it's all done.  Assuming I don't have to replace the power supply, I'll have about $32 extra invested in this (that's including shipping)...

flipflip

Hopplaschorsch!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2010, 01:46:22 AM »

Btw, I'm pretty sure that you do not need two fans. Maybe you don't need one at all with additional heat sinks and if you leave enough room for convection.

I have one small 12V fan at 5V (i.e. it hardly blows out any air) and the standard heat sink gets lukewarm (maximum; at 100%CPU, USB HDD, wireless. and two 100MB ethernets).

On the other hand it doesn't hurt either.

And the internal PSU *should* be powerful enough. At least the specs allow for two USB ports at 500mA if I recall correctly.

I'd probably add a fuse.

GPS+ Debian Squeeze AP router firewall dhcpd named NAS Squeezebox OpenVPN All running fine.

rworkman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2010, 04:35:05 AM »

I doubt I'll *need* two fans either, but they were cheap and should be quiet, especially since this will all be mounted to the wall in a closet :-)
When I connect either of the two ethernet ports to a gigabit switch, the guruplug hardlocks and gets hot almost immediately.  I guess it might be a driver problem, but if it is, it's present in both 2.6.32 and 2.6.33 kernel series (I've still not tried a 2.6.34 kernel) - anyway, I want to be able to state unequivocally whether it's a cooling problem before I investigate further.

FWIW, I'm also going to enclose the JTAG/UART box inside the project box and tie it into one of these: http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1599600-conn-rugged-usb-rcpt-vert-mini-b-musbb55104.html

rworkman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2010, 02:56:32 AM »

Well, it didn't work out quite like I'd planned (for various reasons), but here's the synopsis:
  http://blog.rlworkman.net/2010/07/guruplug-part-3.html

ulury

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2010, 08:17:35 AM »

http://img191.imageshack.us/g/20100701003.jpg/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:26:10 AM by ulury » Logged

doragasu

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2010, 10:57:31 AM »

I've been pretty busy and I didn't have time to play with my guruplug until now. I compiled an Angstrom distribution, and fired it. It looks like when the plug is idle, it gets really hot but doesn't reboot, but when I launch any program "that does something interesting" (for example aMule), then the plug starts rebooting Sad. I'm only using an ethernet port (100 Mbps) and a USB high powered 2,5" external HDD. No WiFi, no Bluetooth, no 2nd Ethernet port, no Gigabit.

It's very annoying they are selling this defective product. I don't want to HW mod my GP, and I don't want to add fans. Does anybody know if finally GlobalScale is going to replace these defective GPs with redesigned (and hopefully working) ones? When?

Other option that may work for me is underclocking the CPU/RAM by software, but I don't really know if it can be done. The CPU has a PLL, but I don't know if it can be changed. I browsed U-Boot sources and it looks like CPU speed isn't set anywhere...

pelado

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2010, 06:54:25 AM »

Here is my fanless solution for the heatproblems. Just recycled an old power suply housing. The server is now running since 10 days without any problems.

* gruplug1_thumb.jpg (115.55 KB, 400x300 - viewed 2981 times.)

* gruplug2_thumb.jpg (110.22 KB, 400x300 - viewed 2589 times.)

* gruplug3_thumb.jpg (98.48 KB, 400x300 - viewed 2608 times.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:38:06 AM by pelado » Logged

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2010, 07:53:49 AM »

great idea!

sk.akties

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:52 PM »

great idea!

Indeed.

We need to do it ourselves because GS is doing nothing to solve our problems with the heat development...  Embarrassed

geochacon

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2010, 05:58:32 PM »

I'll have to do something similar. I have mine sitting next to a router's fan so some exhaust air creates a current nearby the plug, and I noticed that even that the air flow is not directed and strong, it is significantly cooler. Looking at the design of the Guruplug is clear that the person doing it didn't know about air convection.

So, in a couple weeks when I have time, I'll start my modding. I have two plans: First, cut some slits opposite of the ones it already has to allow convection. This requires however, that the plug is placed not horizontally.
The second plan is to buy a 1-inch, 5-volts fan to force the air movement in.

I liked the idea of putting it in an old power supply's case, but I still want to maintain a balance of usefulness and styling.

P.S. Mine's been running like that for over one month without reboots or locks, with WiFi, bluetooth (though nothing connected to it), and both ethernet ports active (at 100Mb).

mhtsaras

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2010, 03:52:38 AM »

to alessio
I wanted to do something similar to your solution for my sheevaplug.
In a previous post you attached some pictures and I have some questions.
In the first picture that shows the original metallic heat spreader attached on top of the mainboard , it seems that the cavities (where the metal attaches on the chip or the memory modules ) are filled with some metal pieces.
Did you put those metal pieces or they are from the manufacturer? cause mine metal spreader has those cavities so I must fill the up with some metal and not only with glue.
And the other question is for the heat sink, is it safe to put only glue to firmly connect the extra heat sink with out worry that it will fall apart?
or we can use something else to tighten it more firmly.
In a previous post in the same thread, jiinx used plastic cords to tight the heat sink (and attached some pictures), is it dangerous for that plastic to  melt down or it can hold to the temperatures that the plug produces?
Thanx in advance...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Print
Jump to: