• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: GuruPlug Server Plus Heat Problems  (Read 118604 times)
flipflip

Hopplaschorsch!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

Greats photos! Thanks!

I just checked the heat sink in my fan modded plug after it's been running a couple of days and after letting it run at 100% CPU for a couple of minutes: it is (maximum) lukewarm.

GPS+ Debian Squeeze AP router firewall dhcpd named NAS Squeezebox OpenVPN All running fine.

varkey

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »

I had called GlobalScale yesterday regarding the rebooting and heating issue and they said they are making a replacement daughter board which would solve the rebooting problem and according to them the temperature of the device is well within regulations. lol

They will be sending the replacement boards within 1-2 weeks and the warranty would be extended. I have asked them to send me all this in writing, will let you guys know if and when they send more details.

PaulW

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2010, 08:11:03 AM »

So I also voided my warrenty by opening it. After running for 10 mins the power supply is not hot at all, but the board is extremely hot. I can't hold it for a couple of seconds without being uncomfortable. I don't want to give up on the idea of a plug computer, I think its really cool, I just want one that runs cool. Someone mentioned that the next batch of guruplugs will be redesigned to be cooler, how did you hear this? Is there a link on globalscales website discussing this?

Globalscale confirmed the design revision when we called them concerned about the heating issues with the GuruPlug we received. I agree, it should be posted on their site for all to read, but wanted to let you all know. I posted that right after the call was made.
 We have ordered 20 more GuruPlugs, so this is a serious concern.

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38:14 AM »

will this new design apply to everybody or just the people from 220v land?

viorel

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »

Same problem (and not only) on 110V too
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:21:27 PM by viorel » Logged

sdaau

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2010, 01:55:58 AM »

Same problem - also posted a link to this thread on http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/GuruPlug (though, I must admit, I won't mind the challenge of building a heat solution thanks to input on this forum Smiley I just wish they'd tell you up front)

Cheers!

lloverin

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »

Same problem, very disappointed.  Thinking of building it into a box, cover off and heatsink extended to the outside with a small fan.  But if GlobalScale will replace, then I'll wait.

Same problem - also posted a link to this thread on http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/GuruPlug (though, I must admit, I won't mind the challenge of building a heat solution thanks to input on this forum Smiley I just wish they'd tell you up front)

Cheers!

doragasu

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2010, 07:58:56 AM »

I have recently received my preordered guruplug and didn't have too much time to play with it, but reading this post turns me depressed. I noticed it gets really hot, but didn't know it was this serious.

As I will not need the full CPU power of this plug, I would like to know if it's possible to underclock the CPU (maybe to 600 or 700 MHz) and memory, preferably by software. With this underclock, maybe it could get a lot warmer and it would be perfect for people like me, that don't need too much CPU power. Also I noticed cpufreq isn't supported by the supplied kernel. Is this because of hardware constraints? Is it possible to code a cpufreq driver? Unless you always have the plug at full load, it would also help a lot using cpufreq's ondemand scaling governor, and can also save some power consumption.

A bit offtopic: Besides the heating issue, I have hit another problem in my guruplug. I followed the wiki directions to compile the kernel, and I got it to compile, but no matter what I try, it never boots. It hangs after "Uncompressing Linux... Now booting the kernel" Anyone with this problem

preaton

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2010, 02:22:03 PM »

>>It hangs after "Uncompressing Linux... Now booting the kernel" Anyone with this problem?

Known problem.

You need to update u-boot to the one on the download site. The installed u-boot works only with installed kernel - something to do the chip architecture numbering as I remember.

berto

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:30 AM »

Good day guru pluggers,

I, too, have massive heat issues with my GuruPlug, no surprise there.  The good news is that GlobalScale is quite willing to send me a replacement when the redesign comes out.  I called the number on their website, http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-contact.aspx, (currently +1-714-632-9239) and dialed 0 to get the operator.

The woman that answered was quite helpful.  I described the heat issues, she asked me for my order number, and without any additional information she queued an RMA slip to be emailed.

She did mention the redesigned plugs were going to be available in _July_, not June as I read here and elsewhere.

Thanks.

sk.akties

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2010, 12:23:15 PM »

[...]
She did mention the redesigned plugs were going to be available in _July_, not June as I read here and elsewhere.

Thanks for letting us know. Did they mention that it was a redesigned version with an external power supply or the current version with a new daughter board?

The new V2 version due in July has the following redesigned parts:

• A new inductor on the motherboard
  • A new daughterboard with a new power management chip
  • More vents on the units
  • A new external power supply unit

sfzhi

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2010, 01:22:01 AM »

The new V2 version due in July has the following redesigned parts:
  • A new inductor on the motherboard
  • A new daughterboard with a new power management chip
  • More vents on the units
  • A new external power supply unit
Where does this information come from?
I can see that the list of the things Globalscale is allegedly redesigning keeps growing. Has any of it been confirmed by them in any form? Or is it just our wishful thinking?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 12:18:12 AM by sfzhi » Logged

Lack of knowledge is not such a big problem, unwillingness to learn is.

sk.akties

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2010, 01:26:11 AM »

Where does this information come from?
I can see that the list of the things Globalscale is allegedly redesigning keeps growing. Has any it of been confirmed by them in any form? Or is it just our wishful thinking?

Not wishful thinking, reality:
http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,323.msg2025.html#msg2025

This was emaied around to buyers of the second batch due in July.

alessio

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2010, 05:15:25 AM »

I have also modified my GPS+.

I have replaced PSU with external unit, added heat sink and its fan.

The device is running perfectly fine since then with debian squeeze on USB key.

~Aleš

* IMAG0086.jpg (611.16 KB, 2592x1552 - viewed 4110 times.)

* IMAG0096.jpg (440.65 KB, 2592x1552 - viewed 4073 times.)

* IMAG0101.jpg (412.45 KB, 2592x1552 - viewed 4122 times.)

sk.akties

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2010, 05:59:48 AM »

I have also modified my GPS+.
[...]

Thanks for the info. Could you re-size the images please?

What does the Traco power TMA 0512D converter do?  Do you have a 12V adapter?
Ok, I have the answer already: the fan needs 12V
What is the noise level of the CPU fan? Could it run also on 5V?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:03:06 AM by sk.akties » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to: