• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Author Topic: GuruPlug Server Plus Heat Problems  (Read 134178 times)
DembK50

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2010, 05:18:38 AM »

I thought of that location for a fan as well. There are several problems with that location.
1. It is far away from the heat source. The daughter card sits just underneath that spot.
2. Where would the airflow go? Where would air flow in, and where would it exhaust? Will it increase airlow at the heatplate? I think not.
3. You won't be able to see the status LEDs.

But, it may be worth a try. Any airflow will help.

Doug

flipflip

Hopplaschorsch!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »

I was thinking about removing the power supply from the plug (and fitting it into a separate enclosure) and adding a small fan instead.

What about the wireless antenna? Isn't too much metal or metal in the wrong place a problem? Where's the antenna anyway?

GPS+ Debian Squeeze AP router firewall dhcpd named NAS Squeezebox OpenVPN All running fine.

stefba

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 05:57:36 AM »

As far as I understood, the heat source is the middle one in a stack of three PCBs. Am I right? If so, it would be better to let the air flow over the surface of the PCB. The fan should then be mounted at the small side, opposite to the ethernet and USB connectors. Some more holes to let the air in or out would also be a good idea.
I'll try it as soon as the time of warranty is over next month.
Regards,
stefba

DembK50

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 06:41:23 AM »

The heat sources are the ICs on the bottom of a two board stack. The existing heat plate is attached to that bottom board. If you add a fan just below the heatplate, it probably will work. Give some thought to ducting of the air. Here's the component stackup with a good suggested fan location.

Top of Case with logo
Daughter board with LEDs on top side
Main PCB with most hot ICs on bottom side
Heatspreader - with heat tape connecting it to ICs, with bic pen type springs on the 4 corners pressing it to the main pcb
->Add 40mm fan here<-
PSU plastic shield
PSU
Bottom of Case - with AC plug

This means of course that your case needs to grow vertically - maybe 15-30mm. Add standoffs and longer screws, and maybe you can get the existing case back together with just a big gap for the fan and ducting. Post pictures when you finish this.

Doug

stefba

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 07:26:24 AM »

@DembK50
Ok, I understand. Your suggestion sounds great. In a German forum I've found this link with some internal photos. Now I see what you mean. An increase in vertical size is not a problem. And, as you already mentioned, the resulting gap in the case is very helpful for air conditioning. After a quick search I've found this fan. It's quite thin. Probably there are even more appropriate fans to be found anywhere. At least, it's a good point to start with.
Regards,
stefba

DembK50

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 07:57:21 AM »

Thanks for the picture and fan links. The fan is excellent. Make sure you think about air flow and ducting. Smashing the fan between the heatplate and PS shield with no airflow gap won't help much. Make sure there is a path for the air to flow.  If you could get the fan to suck air from the existing bottom case vents and blow it against the heatshield with the exhaust air flowing directly out of the case along the sides, that would be ideal. Doug

theblop

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »

Is a fan really required? Isn't it enough to replace the internal power supply with an external power brick like with the sheevaplugs?

I haven't received my GP yet (ordered a few months ago) but I am getting a bit worried about these neverending overheating problems. Being a fan-less solution was a big part of the device's appeal for me, and it would defeat the point to add a fan in there!

Thanks for the picture and fan links. The fan is excellent. Make sure you think about air flow and ducting. Smashing the fan between the heatplate and PS shield with no airflow gap won't help much. Make sure there is a path for the air to flow.  If you could get the fan to suck air from the existing bottom case vents and blow it against the heatshield with the exhaust air flowing directly out of the case along the sides, that would be ideal. Doug

DembK50

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »

A fan isn't required. One thing is certain. The existing guruplug design will not work. If you want it to work, you must cool it. Either passively like my big strap solution or with a fan. Your choice. Pick your poison, but pick you must. Doug

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »

It really is a bummer to read this thread. My sheevaplug died yesterday because of a bad power supply. Now it looks like the guruplugs may be destined to overheat and fail as well. It's making me think that a small Atom server might be better than these cool little plugs :-(

ChrisTyler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:32 AM »

Any idea which parts specifically are running hot?

thomasb

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »

It's making me think that a small Atom server might be better than these cool little plugs :-(
Haven't had any issues with my two Atom mini-itx and one VIA C7 mini-itx servers.  They're all passively cooled.  Bigger than the plug, but they've been running for a long time under heavy load without any issues...

A plug would be cool though, but I would stay away from Globalscales.  Maybe we should design our own here and sell them, seems like most of us have better knowledge of power supplies and thermal designs than Globalscales...

I'd love to see a solid aluminum plug case with lots of air vents, kind of what mini-box.com has for mini-itx cases.

DembK50

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 12:03:54 PM »

If you need reliability and don't want to roll your own OS and thermal design, stay away from Sheeva/guru plug designs.  Doug

PaulW

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »

Globalscale says they have done a design revision on the GuruPlug and the next shipment in the 2nd week of June includes these modifications. RMA's for everyone.

stefba

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »

We should not forget that the SheevaPlug and the GuruPlug are sold as development kits. I don't think that the devices are meant to be final products. It's for developers.

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 12:33:13 PM »

Globalscale says they have done a design revision on the GuruPlug and the next shipment in the 2nd week of June includes these modifications. RMA's for everyone.

I wouldn't mind doing that adaptation myself if we are given some instructions. That will give me an excuse to open up the plug Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Print
Jump to: