• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: GuruPlug Server Plus Heat Problems  (Read 137417 times)
thomasb

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »

Globalscale says they have done a design revision on the GuruPlug and the next shipment in the 2nd week of June includes these modifications. RMA's for everyone.
You would think Globalscales would have learned from the SheevaPlug power supply problems, so to be honest I have little faith that they actually fixed the termal design issues with the GuruPlug.  They probably just improved it marginally so that it works beyond the 30 day warranty...

thomasb

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »

We should not forget that the SheevaPlug and the GuruPlug are sold as development kits. I don't think that the devices are meant to be final products. It's for developers.
Then why don't they declare it as Alpha/Beta?  Of course it's a final product.  It's just aimed at developers because the average person probably wouldn't know what to do with it, let alone use it.

tilman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2010, 12:42:26 PM »

I assumed the ridiculously short warranty (I'm European :p) was an US thing Smiley

Just because you live in the EU and enjoy the 2 year warranty (which btw only works as long as your supplier hasn't gone bankrupt) doesn't make it a better product.  30 days clearly shows that it's a piece of junk. If it weren't the company would be offering a longer warranty, 30 days is not a typical warranty in the US for computer (components).

I meant: I assumed it was customary to only give 30 days warranties in the US. I know the product isn't getting better because my reseller's warranty is longer.

I don't think the GuruPlug is garbage, but at this point I really think GST should publish a statement re. the issues with the device. The silence on their part is what annoys me Sad

How is this not garbage?  I highly doubt they even tested the thing for more than 5 minutes.  Is this what you would call quality assurance?  If they had 20 or 30 plugs running at 100% cpu for a month without any failure before they start selling them, that I would call a decent test.  But these things can't even handle idling...

Well, it seems like a neat product, at least _concept_ wise Wink

Also, why should they publish a statement?

To show that they do give a crap about their customers!

FWIW, I opened up my GuruPlug today and I'm probably going to switch the internal PSU for an external one...

thomasb

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:56 PM »

I meant: I assumed it was customary to only give 30 days warranties in the US. I know the product isn't getting better because my reseller's warranty is longer.
A 90 day warranty is already quite short, but much much more common in the US.  I haven't really seen just a 30 day warranty much.  Personally I try to avoid everything with less than 6 months warranty. Most good manufacturers give at least a year, a few even 3 or 5 years.

Well, it seems like a neat product, at least _concept_ wise Wink

It definitely is a neat product, I wish there was more competition and products that actually work as advertised.  I'd buy one instantly.  Maybe we should start our own plug computer "business"  Grin

To show that they do give a crap about their customers!

Isn't it obvious that they don't give a crap?  They get your money, hope you don't complain within 30 days (chances are good), or they hope that you void your warranty by opening it, and they're happy to make a good profit without investing anything into quality assurance!  Evidently, there's enough people who keep buying their crap...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:02:06 PM by thomasb » Logged

flipflip

Hopplaschorsch!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2010, 03:29:16 PM »

Mine has been running for a week without any (stability) issues. It got hot, though. Really hot. And it's not yet summer here.
Hence I modded it: http://oinkzwurgl.org/guruplug_pictures
I use a wall wart from a CD writer (spec'ed 2A@5V). The plug draws approx. 1.3 A at full load (see first picture).

:-)

GPS+ Debian Squeeze AP router firewall dhcpd named NAS Squeezebox OpenVPN All running fine.

DembK50

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »

Excellent mod. That should cool it enough to run. It blows air directly on the heatplate with a big fan.

The 1.3A at 5V translates to 6.5watts. That's nearly double the power dissipation of the Sheeva plug, which we already know had a marginal thermal design. No wonder the guruplug was DOA or should we say HOA (Hot on Arrival).

Doug

flipflip

Hopplaschorsch!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »

It blows the air out. I'm not sure what direction is best. But blowing air out is what I know from my desktop's PSU etc. So I thought that will be fine. Agree?

And it's a rather small 12V fan running at 5V.

GPS+ Debian Squeeze AP router firewall dhcpd named NAS Squeezebox OpenVPN All running fine.

DembK50

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2010, 04:15:33 PM »

Whatever direction works. I have a slight bias for fan air blowing directly onto the heatplate. Actual mileage may vary in practice. Doug

stefba

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2010, 02:08:57 AM »

Mine has been running for a week without any (stability) issues. It got hot, though. Really hot. And it's not yet summer here.
Hence I modded it: http://oinkzwurgl.org/guruplug_pictures
I use a wall wart from a CD writer (spec'ed 2A@5V). The plug draws approx. 1.3 A at full load (see first picture).

:-)

This looks great. Did you measure the temperature before and after the modification? Or can you estimate the change in temperature?

Habanero

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2010, 04:39:24 AM »

No offence meant, but 'full load' when running only 1x100BaseT.  What's about (2x) Gb ethernet + wifi + bluetooth? There has to be a source of energy for the heat.

flipflip

Hopplaschorsch!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2010, 04:59:40 AM »

Same power consumption. My measurements already included wireless. I don't expect that bt would add a lot. A 100BaseT connection adds approx. 30mA. I've measured it also at 230VAC when running under full load (100% CPU, disk activity, network activity) and everything connected (2 ethernet, 1 harddisk, 1 printer) and switched on (wireless, leds, not bt, tough) and I didn't see more than 7.0W. Apparently the meter I used is pretty precise (a "click", http://www.ekz.ch/internet/ekz/de/ueberuns/100_jahre_ekz/click.html).

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »

Globalscale says they have done a design revision on the GuruPlug and the next shipment in the 2nd week of June includes these modifications. RMA's for everyone.
Great - that does nothing for all of the SHEEVAplug owners that had power supplies die after 3 months of running as an always-on server, which is pretty much the intended use-case.

sleepyMonad

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2010, 05:16:24 AM »

When providing an external power supply, how smooth should the voltage be? Should it be perfectly flat, or may it be pulsed as long as the mean is 5V?
Also, connecting a fan in parallel, could this induce  voltages harmfull for the board?

arj

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »

Where did they say that?

superpat

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2010, 08:07:40 AM »

Hi,

There appears to be some confusion about failures in the two devices.

The SheevaPlug problem is failure of a poorly specified capacitor in the power supply. This fails due to electrolyte heating caused by ripple current or varying DC load currents. The heating is caused by the capacitor having a high ESR, (being a gen purpose commercial capacitor and not a proper high spec power supply capacitor. Typically the use of a USb drive, powered by the Sheevaplug power supply is the worst case heating effect for the Sheevaplug

see my measurements in my reply #9 in http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1734.msg10498

From what I have read, (I do not have a Guruplug), the Guruplug problem is that the temperature of the SOC and memory chips rises above their reliable operating point (they are commercial spec devices 0-70 deg C range), due to an inadequate heatsink and no way to vent the heat from the internals of the case. The more elements you use in the device the hotter it gets. There also appears to be driver issues which cause the ethernet physicals to run hot, which makes it worse.  Obviously the power supply heat will also contribute to the problem.   The Guruplug has a different layout to the Sheevaplug, in that there is an extra board in the Guru, and the whole thing is stacked up in a sandwich.

There are a  couple of reports (unconfirmed) that the Guruplug power supply is also dying. I have not read a definite report of this yet, or seen any pictures of a blown Guru power supply.

regards

Patrick

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to: