• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: guru plus wired ethernet hang  (Read 1534 times)
khklatt

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »

guru plus received, connected via wireless network as an access point.  When connecting wired ethernet, system hangs, will reboot.
Thought it migh be swap space, seems not to be.  Also, the USB thumbdrive mounted in usb0 has a fried directory.  Not sure if the two
issues are related.  Ethernet devices are loaded, indicated in kernel message queue (dmesg).  Checking logs, nothing found so far.

Ideas welcome.

KK

j.hoekstra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »

guru plus received, connected via wireless network as an access point.  When connecting wired ethernet, system hangs, will reboot.
Thought it migh be swap space, seems not to be.  Also, the USB thumbdrive mounted in usb0 has a fried directory.  Not sure if the two
issues are related.  Ethernet devices are loaded, indicated in kernel message queue (dmesg).  Checking logs, nothing found so far.

Ideas welcome.

KK
Several messages here on the forum seem to indicate it's a problem with some Gbit routers and swtiches but not all. I solved it by connecting to a fast ethernet connection and also tested by switching back to 100Mbit via mii-ttool or ethtool.
It seems software, after switching to 100Mbit it didn't crash once, even when compiling and having 100% load(it did get really warm though Wink)

khklatt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

Thans -- Found a Fast Ethernet router -- when connected it did not crash,  and one of the wired network ports is working.  Gigabit switches did not work (linksys).  Trying an update/upgrade..  Thanks for the assistance.  A machine running with a slower network connection is far bettter than a hung/reboot machine and an RMA.

Did see others with the same problem, missed it when searching..

KK

khklatt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »

I changed the IP address range of the wireless via the script the vendor had in root as it conflicted with a wrieless router I had setup.  No longer hangs, but now I can not connect via wireless, and the wired network while not crashing on the Fast Ethernet also does not request an address.  I do not know of a way to get to console at boot time, did not order the JTAG interface so I am SOL..

Just frustrating.  The Shiva plug worked out of the box.

twinpeaks

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 02:03:54 AM »

Hello,

Thought it migh be swap space, seems not to be.  Also, the USB thumbdrive mounted in usb0 has a fried directory.

Same here. With GB Ethernet it really gets hot and goes into a reset loop after a while. I measured 55 C (133 F) on the metal of the ETH ports! This is too much for 24/7 usage. Sooner or later it will get up in flames.
It also killed my USB thumb drive after a while. At first it just rebooted when trying to access it via Samba, but now, it doesn't detect the drive at all.
After plugging it in the Guru says:
Code:
usb 1-1.3: new high speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 5
usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -110
usb 1-1.3: device descriptor read/64, error -110
usb 1-1.3: new high speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 6
... Looping with increasing address number...

Even Windows can't recognize the drive any more... dead... :-(

Ideas welcome.

I think I will try to send it back.

Oliver

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: