• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Poll
Question: Are you using Gentoo on the SheevaPlug
Yes - building my own (2.6.30_rc1 or higher) - 6 (50%)
Yes - copying a image - 1 (8.3%)
No - 5 (41.7%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Use Gentoo?  (Read 4781 times)
jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:14:28 AM »

I'm slogging through installing Gentoo on the SheevaPlug, using this HowTo

http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml

as my starter guide.  I'd like to know if there are others doing what I am doing so a collaboration on various install issues might be pursued.

For example, I finally got Xterm working with my windows PuTTY so now I have as many consoles of the SheevaPlug on my Windows XP desktop as I want using "xterm &" in the main console.  It turned out my Xming configuration was blocking connections and I didn't know about the Xming log feature (not well documented) that quickly identified the problem.  Someone else going through this could save time, but it takes time to document this stuff and if I'm alone, there's not much point.

So, I created this poll to see who else is out there . If you voted that you have built your own (2.6.30_rc1 or better), please contact me directly.

John

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

moshiach
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40:15 AM »

Yes, I have a working 2.6.30-rc1 custom built using those very instructions.  It's not that difficult as long as you are patient with compile times.  From scratch the kernel took about 2 hours to compile, less each time after that if I was only making changes to the kernel config.  Getting up to that point took about 2 hours, and add in an overnight compilation session to complete the setup and I had a baseline system in about 1 day.  I still intend to rebuild my spare plug and write up a series of instructions.

Mines a server, so no x on it, but I suppose I can throw x on the other plug and play around with it.  Be interesting to see how efficient it could be as the heart of a LTSP.

jlpoole
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:57:29 AM »

Yup, I did the same.  In fact, I think I was the guinea pig for that very HowTo posted at the Gentoo site -- it was especially remarkable that an older version specified that one would use GIT to pull a build off of Marvell's site, I ran into problems using GIT through our company's firewall, and without fanfare on Friday night the author revised the HowTo providing steps on pulling the kernel via emerge.  That worked and I was up and running.

I approached this investigation thinking I would document every step, but as I ran into problems, my documentation was abandoned as I was resolved just to get the plug to do what I wanted.   Mine's going to be a server, too, but I'd like to have the ability/luxury of a KDE desktop, at least having Emacs in an X windows session on my Windows box.  I'm really just curious on what the limitations are in using SheevaPlug, but the fact that it only draws a few watts and is completely silent has me thinking this should replace my existing server.

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

hammerinhank

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:11:43 PM »

I just finished installing Gentoo on the plug.  I did it somewhat different from the documentation.  I installed a new copy of Ubuntu a few days ago so I used the tools I made for that.

For me I downloaded the stage3 from http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/releases/arm/autobuilds/20090411/armv4tl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi/  then the Portage from http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/releases/snapshots/current/

After that I formatted a USB stick on a linux server and untarred these two following the Gentoo docs.  Then I tftpbooted the kernel I build and the Gentoo initrd from
wget http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install/sheevaplug.initramfs

Then from uboot  set ismy 'tftp 0x1000000 tftpboot/Sheeva.uImage; tftp 0x2000000 tftpboot/gentoo.initramfs; bootm 0x1000000 0x2000000'
and of course run ismy

I later realized that I didn't need to use the kernel I built or the initrd just boot whatever you are running, mount the USB stick you just made and follow the install from the chroot part of the Gentoo install docs.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:15:49 PM by hammerinhank » Logged

jlpoole
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:37:54 PM »

I wonder if a branch in the this site's WIKI that has as the root node "Gentoo" ought to be started, then children and grandchildren topics relating to experiences/procedures could be created.  (I do share concern that I do not want to make an investment of time into a site that could possibly not be available in the future... witness what happened to Gentoo's wiki, so I'm wondering what redundancy/alternative there could be to assure the work product does not disappear.)

I've got Xwindows running, took some realizations about Xming on Windows to get it to work -- had someone spelled everything out ahead of time, I would have saved several hours of time.

I'm also finding that certain prerequisities for certain packages are needed and it takes a keep-a-trying approach to identify them all.  It would be helpful if, for the particular build, a list of lines to add to /etc/portage/package.keywords were on a particular package's own page so you could just add them to your package.keywords file and commence the emerge.

I'm trying to think of ways to leverage the experiences of the handful of people building Gentoo and installing masked packages.

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 05:31:27 AM »

You should've used an armv5tel stage, because its more suited to the processor on the plug. Also, as for the keywords thing, have a look at app-portage/autounmask

jlpoole
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 06:01:32 AM »

You should've used an armv5tel stage, because its more suited to the processor on the plug.

Also, as for the keywords thing, have a look at app-portage/autounmask

Raśl,

I'm confused.  I believe you are the author of Gentoo on the Marvell SheevaPlug (herein "Howto ") and at that page your instruction is:

Now, let's emerge vanilla-sources:

Code Listing 5.2: Emerging vanilla-sources

Code:
# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arm" emerge '>=sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.30_rc1'

I'm not sure what you are referring to in you reply above where you indicate I should have used an "armv5tel stage".  Moreover, would it be helpful to update your Howto to indicate there is a choice and what the alternative is along with it ramifications.   I very much want to follow your suggestions; however, this is a side project for me and I do not have ready recall on certain terms that may seem obvious to you.  Can you expand upon where one obtains the "armv5tel stage", or provide a link to installing such?  I wish I didn't seem so obtuse, but this is my first foray into this area and I've really found your Howto to be a great help.

Thanks for the tip on app-portage/autounmask, looks like that is just what I need.

And, again, thank you for your ongoing invaluable contributions.

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:05:32 AM »

Well, the kernel thing doesn't have anything to do. Not sure what did you understood with what i said Smiley

The armv5tel stage is the base system, in your post, you said you used armv4tl. armv4tl is suited for ARMv4T processors, while armv5tel is for ARMv5TE, which is the one in the SheevaPlug. The only difference is the performance. Not like there's too much difference in terms of performance.

What i'm referring to is to this part:
Stages information

Here's some information about the stages.

* Architecture: arm
    * Subarchitecture: armv5tel
    * CHOST: armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi
    * Profile: default/linux/arm/2008.0

We'll be using the new EABI, also called gnueabi, instead of the old ABI. That is armel on Debian. There's no exact reason for why we should use this EABI and not the old one, apart that this one is better than the old.

Therefore, we need an armv5tel-softfloat-linux-gnueabi stage3, available under the releases/arm/autobuilds directory in your favourite mirror

You used an armv4tl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi stage3 Smiley

jlpoole
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »

Well, the kernel thing doesn't have anything to do. Not sure what did you understood with what i said Smiley

The armv5tel stage is the base system, in your post, you said you used armv4tl.
You used an armv4tl-softfloat-linux-gnueabi stage3 Smiley

For clarification, Raul, in his post May 1, 2009  (04:31:27 AM
Posted by: Raśl Porcel ) was referring to  April 30, 2009, 03:11:43 PM
Posted by: hammerinhank

I had read Raul's post to be replying to my previous post; that was an error on my part.

For the record I have the recommended armv5 installed on mine:

Code:
localhost ~ # locate stage3-*
/stage3-armv5tel-20090311.tar.bz2
/jlpooletmp/stage3-armv5tel-20090311.tar.bz2.DIGESTS
localhost ~ #

jlpoole
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »

Also, as for the keywords thing, have a look at app-portage/autounmask

Save some time by adding these to your /etc/portage/package.keywords file before you try to "emerge app-portage/autounmask":

Code:
perl-core/Term-ANSIColor **
virtual/perl-Term-ANSIColor **
dev-perl/PortageXS **

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »

AS I've reported in other thread (SD support in linux kernel) I am having trouble using SD cards on the gentoo kernel on the dev.gentoo.org site, now, I know there is a patch submited here for the kernels, so I was wondering, is it applied to the kernel image?

besides that, the stock kernel recognizes my card most of the time, as dar as I remember I could install gentoo from pretty much any running kernel, would there be a problem if I try to install using the stock kernel?

Thanks a lot.

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »

Yes, i think you could Smiley

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 02:46:40 PM »

Well, I am exprimenting a bit with gentoo, and in order to do the setup that I want, I need a way to boot a kernel that has the SD patch (here: http://www.computingplugs.com/index.php/Fixing_SDHC_access_in_the_Orion/Mainline_kernel) and I would love to be able to use UBIFS (since I want to use the NAND for the root, it could save me a lot of time).
I've been reading and I've found the following options:

1) install gentoo into a USB, patch and compile the kernel, add UBIFS, then format the NAND, copy the contents from SD and solve the moun points.
2) Recompile the kernel images for the gentoo install, to add the patch and UBIFS support, also add the tools.
3) Boot using NFS and TFTP and use it to install the software.

Is there any other way?
option 1 is slow, and I am ot sure if I can only copy the files
option 2 sounds really good (and it could help others) bu I dont have any idea of how to do that
option 3 sounds also simple, but I don;t know how to do it.

Any help here would be apreciated.

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 03:21:51 AM »

I'll have a look at upgrading the kernel today.

Raśl Porcel
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 11:16:59 AM »

Okay, i've updated the installation initramfs so it contains mtd-utils and the kernel with the patch.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: