• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Device Issues  (Read 4177 times)
NULL

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »

I am new to using the guru plug, I just received it. I powered it up, its hooked up to a wired ethernet, and I have the jtag board plug hooked up.

Here are my issues.

1. I never seem to see eth0/1 get and ip that I can ssh to. I did see an ip requested on my dhcp server but I cant ssh to ip, I run nmap on that ip and I see nothing listening.

1a. If I hook up a ethernet to eth0/1 The device is constantly in a reboot mode, where I see it via the jtag serial hookup.

2. I hooked up the jtag board, I got the serial to work under win7 x64. It seems to boot up, I see an prompt but no characters are accepted, I do see the RX light blinking. I do see the proper text so baud rate is not an issue.

Is the device faulty? Should I be able to boot and have ethernet working. I do see an ssid for the device when I try wireless, but when I use a laptop to connect to the network, it has an ip, but I cant seem to get to 192.168.1.1

Is there an easy getting started guide?

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »

I am completely new to this so I discover as I go but for your question 1a

I have read that some people are having the same issue as you when then plug themselves in a gigabit switch

I am at 100Mb and have no reboot

and the wiki is a good start to get some information

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Main_Page
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:31:11 PM by ppmt » Logged

NULL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »

I can confirm I was using a gigabit switch. I am gonna connect to a 100 mb switch. I will let you know

NULL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:36 PM »

My serial port issue was I removed Flow Control - that solved the not being able to transmit from serial to the plug

I can confirm the ethernet port work via 100mb switch and not 1000mb switch.

One issue, when using autonegotiate, it negotiates as half duplex. It can be forced to FD using mii-tool. Not ideal though.

Is there any update on the ethernet ports, and rebooting?

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:59:18 PM »

My serial port issue was I removed Flow Control - that solved the not being able to transmit from serial to the plug
I can confirm the ethernet port work via 100mb switch and not 1000mb switch.

Yes, its 115.200 Baud 8N1 noFlow-Control like on the Sheevaplug.
I also can confirm the Gigabit-Switch-Problem after getting yesterday
a DLINK igabit-Nway-Switch my Guru+ did also reboot...back to my old
100MBit Switch the Ethetnet-Port does work like before.
For me it seems to be a driver-issue not a power-supply problem...but
Gigabit uses more lines inside the CAT5-Ethernet cable than 100MBit does
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:12:37 AM by guidol » Logged

MrD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:28:33 PM »

Hello,

I've got my new GuruPlug Server Plus yesterday..connected it to a GBit Ethernet Network, waited some minutes..boom, reboot after reboot.

Answer from Globalscale:

The current becomes high while connecting 1Gb Ethernet cable to Guru board,
Maybe this will cause the board to work in unstable state. Connecting to
10/100Mb will not have the reboot issue.

We know the issue and is trying to identify the root cause and find the
solution with Marvell. Once the solution is confirmed, we will inform you
(our customer).

My testresults so far:
When I use a fan which blows some air around and in the Guru it works stable, even with GBit Ethernet. When I switch the fan off and wait some minutes the "critical temperature" (whatever this is) is reached and the Guru starts with its reboots again...

So there seem to be a heat/power consumption problem...grml

Greets
  MrD
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:49:25 PM by MrD » Logged

Lukkie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:35:04 PM »

Answer from Globalscale:

I did receive the very same answer. It's good to see that some attention is being drawn to this problem and hopefully they will find a fix soon.

Juanisan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »

Thanks for this info.  Just got my "GuruPlug Server - PLUS" powered up after plugging everything in and couldnt understand why I couldnt access the plug until I plugged in the serial console.  Reboot... Reboot... Reboot...  Ugh...   And this sucker is HOT!  I can smell heated plastic.

Unplugged the ethernet and now it stays up.

Up for a few minutes...  Just plugged in the ethernet... BAM!  Reboot.

sheevaplug-debian:/proc# eth0: link up, 1000 Mb/s, full duplex, flow control disabled
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready

U-Boot 2009.11-rc1-00602-g28a9c08-dirty (Feb 09 2010 - 18:15:21)
Marvell-Plug2L

SoC:   Kirkwood 88F6281_A0
DRAM:  512 MB
NAND:  512 MiB

cpeacock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 02:47:30 AM »

So there seem to be a heat/power consumption problem...grml

I think your are on the right track.

I too have seen this problem with my unit rebooting with Gigabit Ethernet. It crashed at different stages, so it looked like a power supply issue. I have opened my unit in preparation to replace the power supply, but find it works fine on the bench when it is in pieces - i.e. there is good separation between the original power supply and the aluminium heatsink attached to the 88E1121R PHY, Processor, RAM etc.

I can load the original power supply (external bus powered harddisks etc) without effecting it, so the power supply seems fine.

Just gotta work out if its the power supply buckling under the heat, or the 88E1121R PHY, Processor etc

penjuin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:48:58 AM »

I can confirm that I have the same problem with the guruplug server plus. Works fine in 100 megabit, occasionally I can get it going on gigabit for a few minutes but hits the reboot cycle shortly after. Are there no temperature sensors in the case that we can access through linux?

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »

Blüto : class action law-suit???

are you not overdoing it a bit? Why do people always want to sue each other?

Give them a chance. This product is new and this can be expected. I mean if you want a perfect product
with no problem then you don't buy it as soon as it is out. You wait for the early tester to iron out issue

Blüto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 04:00:32 PM »

That remark was assholish of me, and I apologize.

I didn't sign up to recieve a manufacturing prototype that may or may not be fully functional in return for a deep discount, I paid retail price and expect a working product. Given the choice, I'd rather reimport an eSATA Sheeva from England than test the GuruPlug on the manufacturer's behalf and at my own expense.

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:09:31 PM »

Bluto: I understand that it can be frustrating (even though I don't seem to have any problem wiht my guruplug..yet)

My reaction was may be  also quick. I just don't like that culture of suing everyone for anything. There are some issues with the Guruplug (obviously!) but I doubt that Globalscale did it on purpose Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:19:35 PM by ppmt » Logged

vthokie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 07:23:47 PM »

The reboot issue that everyone is mentioning seems to be related to the wireless.  I consistently have reboot problems when the wireless drivers enabled with the wireless chipset firmware loaded and running.  I would be willing to bet it's something related to the drivers or the firmware.

Juanisan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 10:13:05 PM »

I would beg to differ.  It has nothing to do with wireless BUT fully the built in ethernet ports.  I tried switching to eth1 with the same results.

I plugged in a USB/Ethernet ASIX adapter that I used with a project on the original Sheeva plug since it only had one port and I required 2 for a NAT setup.  I have my Android phone running thru the wireless out to the internet now with NO issues.  eth2 (ASIX) adapter is running just fine now.  Bypassing the onboard ethernet ports has done the trick.  I had to modify the DHCPD conf files and the startup script in the root directory to match my network settings, but this is very cool now.  I wish I didnt have to plug in external stuff to make this work though.

I want them to fix the onboard stuff certainly, but I can hobble on this setup for a while.

I am TRYING to install Slackware onto a USB drive on this thing but am having some issues with booting via TFTP/NFS to yet resolve.  I am wondering if different ethernet drivers would do the trick.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:36:58 PM by Juanisan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: