• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sheevaplug or Guruplug: what to choose?  (Read 1920 times)
rbsmr

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:45:21 AM »

Hello!

I'm think in buying a plug computer. But I cant decide between sheevaplug or a guruplug.

In either cases Im think in using them for export data from my weather station and images from a ip camera over the net.
Later Im think sharing a hark disk content.
And im worried with the Guruplug heating issues...
Nevertheless I cant decide witch one should I buy...
So I would liked to ear some opinion from some experienced people.
Thks for the help!
best regards
Ricardo Rodrigues

note: Please excuse my poor english!

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »

For the least amount of headaches, I recommend a Sheeva, as it's the more mature and stable product. Expansion is a little more limited, but a USB hub will cure that.

feffer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 01:37:52 PM »

Second that. Both are "development" products, but the Sheeva seems to be the better bet. I'm using one, for backup, a file-server, a music and print server, and will add media-server. It runs warmer than I'd like. The psu is not well matched evidently. I drilled a number of holes in the case, but may add an external psu as well. I'm worried about longevity as it stands. You must be able to spend some time tinkering with a product like this. Read the forum...you'll understand.

Do not count on the company, Globalscale for help. They are good at taking your money, but nothing else. While the Sheeva is working efficiently now, I consider it a hobbyist/developer item and can't count on it for the long run. I'm actively looking for alternatives. ymmv

Regards,
feffer

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 07:51:36 AM »

Answering the main question, which is better the sheevaplug or the guruplug .
I`ve given up on the Guruplug completely, so I may be a little biased having 2 sheevaplugs now.
If you don`t need the extra Ethernet port or the built-in wifi , blue tooth I would go for the Sheevaplug.

If you need it for file sharing, ( adding a hard drive ) I would also recommend the Esata version of the Sheevaplug.

I most agree with feffer on the subject of Globalscale, I have got both of my plug from NewIt , which I can unbiasedly say have the best after sales, But could do with finding a better product to sell.
People like myself who pre-ordered the Guruplug spent months having Globalscale putting back the delivery date back after ever , so don`t have any trusted in Globalscale at all.

You are not on your own looking for alternatives, but most of what I`ve seen are normally lacking in memory, mostly 64meg or very costly compared to the sheevaplug.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: