• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Custom Kernel Hangs on Guruplug  (Read 7778 times)
vthokie

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

I'm trying to run a custom compiled 2.6.33.4 kernel on my guruplug.  It's using the default guruplug kernel configuration and was compiled with the latest code sorcery compiler (2010q1-202).  I'm trying to load it from a usb stick.  After loading the kernel it hangs on  boot following the "Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel."

Any clues why it would hang?  The same kernel will boot on my standard SheevaPlug.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:46:45 PM »

did you compile in serial console support and configure it in u-boot?

vthokie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »

Yes,  I did compile in console access.  It definitely boots on my SheevaPlug (at least until it tries to mount the root fs, but that's what I expected), but not my GuruPlug.

In U-Boot it is configured the same as the default boot with the exception of the kernel loaded from usb.  I basically changed the environment variable for the kernel as shown below to load the kernel from a usb stick instead of from the nand flash.

setenv x_bootcmd_kernel fatload usb 1:1 0x6400000 /uimage

rrb3942

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »

I am having this same problem. The only differences I see are that I am using version 2010q1-188 for my cross compiler, and I am loading the uImage off tftp initially. The only thing that I have gotten to work for me is the image already on the internal flash.

It looks like it may not be fully uncompressing the kernel? As appears to jump to booting the kernel much sooner.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:49:43 PM »

It seems that the uboot on GuruPlug is different. Check your bootargs setting.

I had the exact same problem last night. It turned out the kernel was OK, just that I didn't set the correct uboot env.

vthokie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »

As far as I know, the settings I have should work.  They are the same as the factory settings with the exception of where the kernel is loaded from.  What did you do differently?  Would you mind posting your uboot settings?

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »

After I met that problem I upgraded my uboot to the latest from http://plugcomputer.org/index.php/us/resources/downloads?func=fileinfo&id=71

I still got the same problem. Then I removed the ${boot usb} from bootcmd.(This came from my memory, might not be exact).
Then boot again, it works.

My point is, don't mess with those x_bootxxxx yet. Just download kernel via tftp, set bootargs, then use bootm instead of boot and pray for your luck.

rrb3942

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »

You have described pretty much exactly what I have been doing. I load the kernel from tftp, manually set bootargs (I have been using a mircosd card for my rootfs), and then use bootm to boot the kernel. I use the same procedure to boot the stock kernel (replace tftp with reading from nand) and it works fine.

I have not tried updating uboot at all yet.

dreamdreams

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:13:12 AM »

Another thing came from my head.
I don't remember the original mainlineLinux and arcnumber settings. I just went ahead upgraded kernel and set them according to plug wiki and it stopped booting.

After I upgrade the uboot, it got bad CRC for env variables and used default. I noticed that these two were not there. But I can boot.

vthokie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »

Thanks for the tips. 

I figured out the problem.  It seems as though the factory configuration of these devices doesn't work that well.  As soon as I upgraded the uboot to the latest version on this site, I was able to boot my custom kernel, but not the factory one.  After that, I reflashed the kernel and root file system and everything seems to be happy.  Now I can proceed with my own kernel and installing debian squeeze on it.

rrb3942

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »

I can confirm that upgrading uboot to the version found at http://plugcomputer.org/index.php/us/resources/downloads?func=select&id=15 allows me to boot custom kernels.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: