• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: guruplug: sheeva-plug-demo package gone implies no wifi?  (Read 1731 times)
sleepyMonad

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2010, 02:04:32 AM »

After removing the sheeva-plug-demo package (some cleaning up, because I don't want all kinds of unneeded web services remaining open) the uap0 device no longer appears in the list of network devices. (I think I also clicked on switch to client mode on that wifi demo page, before deciding to drop the package).

Looking back in my logs, I find at the moment of the switch/removal

May 14 20:54:39 gps kernel: reset hw
May 14 20:54:39 gps kernel: uap_func_shutdown:Hardware is not ready!
May 14 20:54:40 gps kernel: libertas_sdio: Libertas SDIO driver
May 14 20:54:40 gps kernel: libertas_sdio: Copyright Pierre Ossman
May 14 20:54:40 gps kernel: libertas_sdio mmc0:0001:1: firmware: requesting sd8688_helper.bin
May 14 20:54:40 gps kernel: libertas_sdio mmc0:0001:1: firmware: requesting sd8688.bin
May 14 20:54:41 gps kernel: libertas: 00:24:23:1f:ac:67, fw 10.38.3p49, cap 0x00000303
May 14 20:54:41 gps kernel: libertas: wlan0: Marvell WLAN 802.11 adapter
May 14 20:55:21 gps kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready

The disturbing thing is that I now have neither a uap0 nor wlan0 interface after reboot

There is however another error message, probably related:
/etc/rc.local: line 20: /root/init_setup.sh: No such file or directory

So my guess is that the so called demo package contains essential stuff to get wifi working, and that this is an example of really sloppy software packaging ("demo" in the name, init scripts in the /root directory?); seems like a haste job. (I didn't at any moment remove files by hand, I'm a rather disciplined aptitude/dpkg user)

Moreover, I can't download that package anymore, because it doesn't appear in the package list. I noticed that some 10.0 address occurred originally in the apt.sources list, I deleted it because it isn't very usefull from at home. Also, I should mention that the device arrived slightly scratched, so I wonder whether it has been used in a demo setup or not, and in how far my setup was originally a standard setup.

So could some kind soul please check whether his gurupllug contains that package, what the list of files in the package is (dpkg --listfiles), and what the contents is of /root/init_setup.sh? Or better: does anyone know where I can get that package?

Any help is very much appreciated.

(and now I'll go shopping for a 220-110 V transformer, cause these little critters are best kept cool, I understand)

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 02:32:56 AM »

Sorry , But look at the Quick start guide PDF , Having the set up web pages titled “Sheevaplug Wifi Demos” may have given you a clue to what was going to be removed.

I`ve got another week to wait for my Guruplug to come , so I`m hoping all the problems will have been sorted out by then.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: