• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: guruplug server plus arrived... but jtag board doco anywhere?  (Read 2123 times)
Takigama

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »

My guruplug sat in a state of "pending tracking number from fedex" for about a week and then i prodded globalscale, it went straight to shipping state and it appeared on my desk 2 days later (wow that was quick us to au). Fairly impressed with that.

However, i ordered mine some time ago so i got a jtag board with it and i can find very little about the actual board itself. The things got like a thousand plugs in it and ships with two very flimsy cables (i really hate the types of connectors they used, they typically last about 5 insertions before they die in my experience). But im curious about whether i need to plug in both those cables just to get to the serial console? and generally interested in what all the other bits and pieces on it do? Im not sure if i missed a post somewhere about them, but i've been thru the forums, the wiki etc and i cant find much about the jtag board except what it provides for the plug. I've looked at the schematics, but its not really all that useful.

two9er

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:55:29 AM »

But im curious about whether i need to plug in both those cables just to get to the serial console?

I was able to get serial access  using the jtag board. Switch set to uart, use the uart port and 4 wire jumper to connect to the plug, and mini usb connector to computer.
I used minicom, ttyUSB0, 115200 8N1, no flow control. You can watch it boot, and then login.

HTH,

Edit: Here's a link to documentation that you were requesting.

http://code.google.com/p/guruplug/downloads/detail?name=GuruPlug%20Server-Quick%20Start%20Guide-100507.pdf
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:35:32 AM by two9er » Logged

Just plugging away! GuruPlug Server Plus, 1TB esata hd, 8GB microSD (rfs)

Ira

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »

Where did you get the drivers for the jtag board from?  I could not get it to be recognized though I only tried a W7-64 machine.

Ira

two9er

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:30:07 PM »

Where did you get the drivers for the jtag board from?  I could not get it to be recognized though I only tried a W7-64 machine.

I believe ftdi drivers are included with current linux distros, I'm using Mepis Linux 8.0
Here's a link to the ftdi website where you can get drivers.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Just plugging away! GuruPlug Server Plus, 1TB esata hd, 8GB microSD (rfs)

Takigama

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:08:22 AM »

my computer was setup for the original sheevaplug, and the drivers for the jtag board seem to be identical (i.e. the wiki link for how to setup the normal ftdi drivers should work unless im very much mistaken)...

@two9er, thanks for the info... I remember reading the quick start guide, but thats a different one, very usefull that one too...

I get some strange behaviour with the jtag board though, like when i plug something into the esata port, the jtag board seems to reset itself somehow and i loose the connection (which then comes up on /dev/ttyUSB1). Impressed with the disk speed on the esata interface though, quite decent indeed...  still i've only really just plugged it all back up again so im quite keen to do some real testing on the speed side for the interface (like seeing how fast this thing could route traffic between the two gig interfaces).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: