• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newbie question - Guruplug - Installation to NAND without JTAG?  (Read 2574 times)
pumuckl

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2010, 08:10:28 AM »

Hi all,

I suspect the answer is no, but is there a way to install a new system to the NAND memory without having a JTAG module?
I ordered my Guruplug without JTAG, because i thought you only need it if you want to recover bricked devices etc.
Well, it seems I was wrong, and I already ordered a JTAG board.
But shipping will take a few days, therefor it would be great if I could install a new Debian without JTAG.
Is it possible?

TIA, and sorry if this question is too stupid, I just wanted to make sure.

Edit: There is something wrong in this picture, isn't it (Mini USB)?

ryazor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:38:17 AM »

Hi,
if you want to boot debian from the NAND you definitely need a JTAG (to erase and rewrite the NAND from u-boot environment), as well as updating the u-boot system. If you boot via a microSD or USB device, you need a way to change the u-boot environment variables, I think, this is also only possible via JTAG.

Sorry for that bad news.

Regards, ryazor

pumuckl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »

Hi ryazor,

thanks for clarifying!
I don't get then why they ship a USB-cable with the standard Guruplug (without JTAG), but well...
Regarding the picture, I think the USB port of the JTAG is probably looped through to this port.

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »

AFAIK, there is no need for JTAG, only if you want to unbrick a plug, meaning that your uboot stopped working and you must burn new uboot.
Basically you can bubt new uboot via tftp and to burn an image to flash you can use an initrd.

This is how the sheeva installer and the ESIA work, using the nanderase and nandwrite commands to erase and write NAND.

pumuckl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »

Hi rooster,

I'm not sure, but I think the Sheevaplug installer also depends on JTAG:

Code:
Installer procedure -
---------------------
1. On x86 PC -
   a. Install the prerequisites on your host PC (Linux or Windows according to the list above). The win32
       drivers are included in this installer in the following directory: ~/work/sheevaplug-installer/win32.
   b. Using the serial JTAG interface, burn the uboot and environment parameters
       to Plug NAND flash

It seems that you at least have to set some variables to make the plug boot from usb and burn the system to flash.
It would be cool if it were possible without the JTAG board, but what I've read so far seems to indicate it really isn't possible.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: