• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 4-bay HDD enclosures  (Read 1901 times)
purple mink

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:37:53 PM »

Hi!  I'm new and I've been searching the forums but cannot find any post relevant to my situation, so if I'm wrong, please don't flame me.

I'm considering on purchasing a Guruplug for streaming purposes. I currently have a Synology 2-bay NAS [2x2TB] in a JBOD [spanning] configuration, streaming through a Brite-View Cinema Tube  media player [all wired]. I also have a D-Link DNS 323 NAS [2X2TB]  but only using it for storage....the Synology, I'm using as a multi-functional device. I'm not concerned with uPNP as I'm using each device with SAMBA shares.

What I want to do is to buy a 4-bay disk enclosure supporting 4X2TB [toal of 8TB] in a spanning configuration through an eSATA connection to the Guruplug connected to a switch on the network [gigabit]. I haven't read anything on the forums regarding this type of configuration and would like to know if anyone can confirm that the Guruplug will support this or would it be neccesary to use the USB port [ugh] on the Guruplug. Will this work as well? Do I have to be concerned with port multipliers at all if this is relevent?

Since my Synology doesn't support port multipliers, I cannot use my current back up 2 bay enclosures directly on the Syno eSATA port, but must use my PC which does support PM, so I'm a little concerned if I'll be stuck again in the same situation with the Guruplug on eSATA. If at worst, I can use USB, but will this be ok as a workaround? I'm looking at some cheaper Sans Digital 4-bay enclosures, not really needing any RAID support as I want to use it strictly for streaming through my media player. I'm looking to buy the Guruplug server edition. Any suggestions on this please? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:40:06 PM by purple mink » Logged

sfzhi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 02:48:34 AM »

I haven't tried it myself, but some other people apparently did:
http://www.newit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,607.0.html

Lack of knowledge is not such a big problem, unwillingness to learn is.

purple mink

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »

Thanks for the link. I've read that the poster in question used 2 HDDs in single format via eSATA, and I'm not sure if it would be the same as putting 4x2TB HDDs as a single volume [JBOD - spanning] which is what I require. I'll just have to read a little more on internal port multipliers on HDD enclosures. I need to know if the plug supports port multiplier.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: