• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: guruplug server plus arrived but died  (Read 20585 times)
AndyOfLinux

View Profile WWW
« on: May 09, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »

I ordered a guruplug server plus in February from GlobalScale Technologies and it showed up 7 May  Smiley  I looked for the CD that was mentioned as shipping with the plug but it was not there Sad  After reading forum posts here, I managed to connect via WiFi.  Things seemed to be working well with the minimum debian install UNTIL I plugged in an ethernet cable.  After 4-5 minutes the status lights would go off and the plug would be dead.  I configured the ethernet ports and started to ping the plug.  Pings were OK for 3 minutes or so -- then started dropping packets and then stopped all together.  If I don't attach an ethernet cable - system stays up but it gets much hotter after a few minutes of having an ethernet cable plugged-in Sad  It then stops working.

I did note that my plug was a bit scratched up when I removed it from its wrappings but was sooo excited to receive it that I didn't care!

Now I need to decide to get it replaced or ask for my money back...  BUMMER!

UPDATE 11 May 2010

I called the Globalscale Anaheim, CA location to try to get some tech support but the operator would not connect me to anyone in tech support or sales after I mentioned I was having a problem with my GuruPlug.  She told me to send an email to "Sales".  I did this and went into *great* detail about my problems and diagnostics -- and mentioned that there was no CD in the package as stated in the product description.

Received this email today -- this is the complete email, btw:
1. Change to another RJ45 cable and try again, if same situation happens
please send it back via claiming RMA.
2. Please visit the updated Downloads link in GTI web site:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-downloads.aspx

More update will be posted in this site or its sub-link(s).

ARGH!!!  I will *try* to RMA - and ask for a refund.

I can NOT recommend Globalscale Technologies - product or service Sad
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:57:36 AM by AndyOfLinux » Logged

Nightmonkey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:46:14 PM »

I ordered a guruplug server plus in February from GlobalScale Technologies and it showed up 7 May  Smiley  I looked for the CD that was mentioned as shipping with the plug but it was not there Sad  After reading forum posts here, I managed to connect via WiFi.  Things seemed to be working well with the minimum debian install UNTIL I plugged in an ethernet cable.  After 4-5 minutes the status lights would go off and the plug would be dead.  I configured the ethernet ports and started to ping the plug.  Pings were OK for 3 minutes or so -- then started dropping packets and then stopped all together.  If I don't attach an ethernet cable - system stays up but it gets much hotter after a few minutes of having an ethernet cable plugged-in Sad  It then stops working.

I did note that my plug was a bit scratched up when I removed it from its wrappings but was sooo excited to receive it that I didn't care!

Now I need to decide to get it replaced or ask for my money back...  BUMMER!

Oh dear. The many coding and database errors I see on Globalscale's site, and how they go unfixed for weeks, have made me worried for the Quality Control done on their products. I'm waiting for my 'plugs (GS says my order was shipped on 4/30, but still no shipping tracking number...), and I hope that your experience is the exception and not the rule. I had hopes of using the 'plugs for client services, but if I can't really rely on them except as fun toys (and personal, but non-critical, servers), well, that'll mean a little less money for GS.

escarroll

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »

I am having the EXACT same problem.  When I watch the serial output while the unit boots, it will ALWAYs as in NEVER fail to reboot just after the uap0 wireless interface is instantiated.

/var/log/exim4/paniclog shows:
2009-08-08 09:34:32 socket bind() to port 25 for address 127.0.0.1 failed: Address already in use: daemon abandoned

I know the MTA is having problems but it shouldnt cause a kernel panic.

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Also the unit does seem to run pretty warm compared to the Sheevaplug I have.

lambda280

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:10:59 PM »

Angry   My GuruPlug Server Plus arrived today - ran 20 minutes while connected via ethernet before failing completely. No power LED, no activity...dead.  Sheevaplug has been rock solid for many months and responses from GlobalScale have been relatively speedy. Hoping for a simple fix, but suspect it was also some sort of overheating.

Ira

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:00:53 AM »

I got my GuruPlug Tuesday.  Don't know if this has any bearing, but when I plugged the ethernet into my access point it wouldn't finish booting, but when I took it upstairs and plugged it into the 24 Port HP switch it booted just fine and I could log in via both the ethernet and the wireless. In theory there should be no difference as the AP is just plugged into the switch and should only look like another switch on the network.  It's been on since then and doing nothing perfectly. Works fine as an access point.

Ira

Takigama

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:22 PM »

I had the same issue... mines (currently) going into a juniper switch, it lives about 5 minutes before the whole box rolls over and dies... similar problem when i hooked up esata as well...

im wondering if anyone else who's seeing this is plugged into 240v (au)? cause mines getting fantastically hot...

Ira

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 05:29:45 PM »

Mine is working fine with a 1gb ESATA connected drive and a 2gb Micro SD card.   As soon as I figure out how to make it boot from the SD I'll stat using it. And yes, it gets hot, hotter than I'd like.

Ira

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 05:33:45 AM »

im wondering if anyone else who's seeing this is plugged into 240v (au)? cause mines getting fantastically hot...

Here in Germany my "power-meter" tells something about 216-217V 50Hz and my GuruPlug Plus is getting really warm and does a little
smell like very warm electronics :-((
My SheevaPlug which is running some weeks isnt hot as the GuruPlug :-(

Hope my GuruPlug doesnt die while he is getting so hot....

wojo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 05:51:13 AM »

Hello,

I've problems with overheating, too. After some time the guru plug server plus becomes too hot and starts rebooting over and over again. I opened the case and pulled out the board a litte bit. Now its working fine but opening the case is not really a good solution.

I'm thinking about an external power supply (5V 3A?). But I'm unshure whether this would help.

Wolfram

rehabdoll

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:14:30 AM »

mine just keeps rebooting

sometimes it just freezes up. reset doesnt work - i have to unplug it.

lolo84
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 12:00:31 PM »

I ordered a guruplug server plug in February and received it today. After power it 15-20 minutes on 240V it seems my plug is dead  Cry. No power, no lead, nothing on jtag or UART.

I don't understand how GlobalScale Technology can sell this product with so many problems on it. It's just scandalous ! I wish this problem will be solved rapidily without additionnal costs.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »

I ordered a guruplug server plug in February and received it today. After power it 15-20 minutes on 240V it seems my plug is dead  Cry. No power, no lead, nothing on jtag or UART.

This day my Guru+ is running around 9 Hours (very hot for a plugcomputer) but
it still running:
sheevaplug-debian:/proc# uname -a
Linux sheevaplug-debian 2.6.32-00007-g56678ec #1 PREEMPT Mon Feb 8 03:49:55 PST 2010 armv5tel GNU/Linux
sheevaplug-debian:/proc# more uptime
30692.69 30546.20

The question is...will it run cooler if it is running on 110-120V....how about a stepdown-converter 220->110V?
Could this be a prolblem like on the Sheevaplug? (with or without external devices...where the WLAN/Bluetooth are the new (intern) external devices)?

Lukkie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »

I really do wonder what the problem is with the plug, at this moment its a bit unstable to really use.
Is it a hardware issue? Was is pushed out too early? Is the problem only in Europe (with our 230-240v)?

What I found out;

- It seems not to be kernel nor u-boot related
 - If I put a cable in eth1, it keeps on working most of the time
 - If I put a cable in eth0, it doesn't keep working all the time
 - If I put a cable in both eth0 and eth1, the plug reboots and keeps in that loop until it cold boots

What does seem to make a different is what kind of cable is used. Or better, is it a self made cable or a premade...

Honestly I cannot get a firm grip on the "issue" but I would like to see what others tried to resolve it ... if its already resolved.

mlanner

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 06:13:25 PM »

Just adding another posting in case GlobalScale reads these forums ...

The GuruPlug is a really cool concept ... BUT, I'm having the same issues as everyone else in this thread ... except, although my GP gets a bit warm, it's not hot ... AND I can't get it to work when plugged in to my HP 1800-24G switch at all.

It dies within minutes of plugging in an Ethernet cable. I've tried multiple cables and none of them seem to make any difference. Even tried to set the eth0 and eth1 with static IPs. Didn't really help, except for completely erasing everything in /etc/network/interfaces upon reboot. If anyone could let me know what /etc/network/interfaces should have in it, that would be greatly appreciated.

So, all-in-all, the GP is mostly a plug at this point since I can't even connect it to my network. Not much Guru about it right now. Hoping for updates from GlobalScale soon. A GlobalScale forum with some follow-ups would be nice ...

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 06:52:58 PM »

I read this thread before receiving my guruplug and that got me worrried

The only "reassurance" was that no one seems to complain about it in 110v land which is where I live

SO today my plug was on all day wiht just one manual reboot. So it has been up for over 10 hours and I had
not reboot

I have a cable in eth0 going to my linksys router and I also used the wifi connection

So it looks like the problem could be a 220 issue

On the temperature side my plug gets hot. Is it normal I wouldn't know as I never had a sheevaplug. I would say that it is hot but I can
hold it in my hand and it doesn't hurt Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to: