• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Java instalation - sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre  (Read 22451 times)
sevi4310

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2009, 10:20:53 AM »

Hi,
I am trying to install Java.
NO luck.
Did anyone try?
Any advise would be appreciated.
Ther

root@debian:~# sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
sudo: unable to resolve host debian
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (= 6-11-0ubuntu1) but it is not installa
ble or
                          ia32-sun-java6-bin (= 6-11-0ubuntu1) but it is not ins
tallable
E: Broken packages
root@debian:~# sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
sudo: unable to resolve host debian
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  sun-java6-jre: Depends: sun-java6-bin (= 6-11-0ubuntu1) but it is not installable or
                          ia32-sun-java6-bin (= 6-11-0ubuntu1) but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

Doug Grove

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »

This is a known packaging issue (I did find the actual defect.... not going back to look for it).

Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

I am using openjdk-6-jdk.  This does work pretty well, my biggest problem is that it takes over 300 meg of disk space.

Hope that helps,

Doug

31000aku

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »

Sun has a 1.4.2 for embedded device. Works, but is a 90 day trial.
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/embedded.jsp
--> EABI, glibc2.4, Soft Float

I tried Java from Blackdown People as well. Didn't work.

Are there any other disadvantegs when using openJDK?

German SheevaPlug community - www.sheevaplug.de

SammyIAm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:59:40 PM »

There is also a headless version of OpenJDK available (for non-GUI applications):

sudo apt-get install openjdk-6-jre-headless

It's still a beefy-sized package, but a lot smaller than 300MB.  I've only used it to install and run Openfire, but it's been working fine so far for me.

khklatt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:48:49 AM »

There is also a headless version of OpenJDK available (for non-GUI applications):

Hi -- Got my ShevaPlug yesterday, and thanks to this post my custom java application is working using the open-jdk runtime.  I was frankly very surprised.. Designed an application in java that communicates with a Morningstar Solar charge controller to receive battery array status, charge rates.  Compiled the java and the protocol library on Gentoo Linux, and moved over the class and jar files.  Now, if I can get heyu running I can real time turn my freezer on and off the grid.   All for under 10 watts of power..

Again, my t hanks.

Maddy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 03:06:37 AM »

I installed openjdk-6-jre-headless but my Java program doesn't work. It uses the RXTX library from http://users.frii.com/jarvi/rxtx/ that gives an error. Previously I've ran it successfully on desktop linux computers using Sun java. So I think I need some way to get Sun java installed (since the apt-get method doesn't work). If the problem is at the RXTX-library then it might be harder to fix. I'm wondering if it's ok to manually install a java distribution say directly from java.sun.com? I guess I should try the "embedded" version, damn Sun just makes me to fill a long form to download it. Any help is appreciated.

khklatt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »

I installed openjdk-6-jre-headless but my Java program doesn't work. It uses the RXTX library from http://users.frii.com/jarvi/rxtx/ that gives an error. Previously I've ran it successfully on desktop linux computers using Sun java. So I think I need some way to get Sun java installed (since the apt-get method doesn't work). If the problem is at the RXTX-library then it might be harder to fix. I'm wondering if it's ok to manually install a java distribution say directly from java.sun.com? I guess I should try the "embedded" version, damn Sun just makes me to fill a long form to download it. Any help is appreciated.

Only solution I can think of is to download the GNU RXTX library, compile and add it to the OS.  I have used the RXTX library in a java app,
and by-passed the RXTS by the purchase of a MODBUS gateway which allows me to use the internet, and such avoid the hardware
dependency.. 

Maddy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:22:35 PM »

I found a version of RXTX from http://rxtx.qbang.org/ToyBox/2.1-7-build1/Linux/glibc-2.3.5/ that I installed (I used arm-softfloat-linux-gnu). However now I get an error message about GLIBC. I wonder if I need to have the exact version the RXTX is compiled for (2.3.5)? I checked that my plug has glibc 2.9. Anyone have any ideas?

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/librxtxSerial.so: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/librxtxSerial.so) thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/librxtxSerial.so: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by /usr/lib/librxtxSerial.so)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1767)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1692)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:840)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1047)

rappa

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:12 AM »

Not sure if you're still having the problem, but I installed librxtx-java with apt-get and it's working great with openjdk6.  The only snag was I had to install an updated kernel to get usb-serial support: http://www.openplug.org/plugwiki/index.php/Install_Prebuilt_Kernels_From_sheeva.with-linux.com

alg

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »

Here is an article of someone that installed the "default-jdk", whatever that is.
Have you tried that?
http://www.bogodyn.org/blog/?p=18

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »

When I try variations on default-jdk, open-6-jdk, openjdk-6-jre-headless, they all fail:

Failed to fetch http://ports.ubuntu.com/pool/main/c/cups/libcups2_1.3.9-17ubuntu3_armel.deb  404 Not Found

I'm using the Installer V1.0 (kernel 2.6.30.2 FWIW).

I am expecting to have to add extra external store to actually download it, but I'd like to get some basic prebuilt JDK 1.6 to start testing, rather than going off and building my own!  My target JVM may well involve Zero and Shark, but that's maybe later!  Baby steps first!

Rgds

Damon

PS. Strangely if I run it with the -d (download only) option and then again without, it seems to install fine:

root@ubuntu:~# java -version
java version "1.6.0_0"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.4.1) (6b14-1.4.1-0ubuntu10)
OpenJDK Core VM (build 14.0-b08, interpreted mode)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:50:47 PM by DamonHD » Logged

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 08:48:48 AM »

FWIW, Xerxes Ranby and Gary Benson have generously given me a little shove towards my Shark/Zero goal, and I have just within the last hour got running a ~3x faster version of the JDK (a private build from Xerxes).  This should be available in Ubuntu "Karmic" soon AFAIK.

So, not optimised quite to the degree that x86 builds are, but getting there.  It's probably 10x slower for a given CPU speed right now, x86 --> ARM (Sun JDK --> fast IcedTea).

Rgds

Damon

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »

Now I'm trying the Sun 'embedded' JRE:

http://java.sun.com/javase/embedded/

It's only a JRE, not a full JDK, and it only has the client (C1) HotSpot to reduce footprint, but it works nicely, maybe about 2x off the performance of the x86 server HotSpot.

Pretty good, so my Java app is up and running, albeit in 'test' mode for now.

If I decide to install one of these then there is a ~$50 licence cost.

Rgds

Damon

lynwell07

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 12:09:17 AM »

I have also experienced the same thing. I tried Rappa’s suggestion and thankfully it worked fine. Maybe you should try it, too. Also, you may find it convenient to add the location of this file to your operating system's path variable, otherwise you will need to explicitly refer to the absolute location of java.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:04:02 PM by lynwell07 » Logged

DamonHD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 12:59:24 AM »

BTW, Xerxes mailed me yesterday to say that he still hopes to have a full 'server' JDK with Zero/Shark by the end of the year, but I may start helping him test some intermediate versions from next week.

Rgds

Damon

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: