• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any video of Squeezebox Server running?  (Read 2166 times)
jbauer

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:42:08 PM »

Hi All,

Am considering using the Sheevaplug as my Squeezebox Server PC.

This may be a long shot, but I'd love to see this in action.  Especially if anyone uses the Sheevaplug for this purpose AND uses iPeng (on the iPhone.)

I've been using a QNAP NAS drive to do this over the years, and the speed has been horrible.  I want to see how quickly the album art downloads, the album songs populate when selected, etc.

If a video such as the one I'm describing doesn't already exist, anyone wanna do the honors???   Cheesy

- Thanx in advance!
- Jon

hungarianhc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:16:19 AM »

Hi there, I'm using my Sheevaplug as a Squeezebox Server / NAS / Tonido box. Works great.  I do wish it were a BIT faster. Actually, iPeng is really quick - it's the SBS web ui that's pretty slow. I'm running a sheevaplug + USB hard drive. I think using a guruplug + esata drive might help performance. Also, the 2ghz plugs come out soon!

But as far as how my actual squeezebox devices perform, they all work just fine! The album / artist info populates pretty quickly.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:55:54 AM »

which qnap NAS? Some of them have an identical CPU (alas half memory) to the sheevaplug (should be 119, 219).

The 2GHz plug is announced sind Jan/Feb 2010. There is no known release date.

jbauer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:56:15 AM »

I have the TS-109 Pro, which has a 500Mhz processor and 128 MB RAM.  It's really not a good platform for hosting a Squeezebox Server.  (Looks like the TS-119 and TS-219 devices you mention both have a 1.2Ghz processor.)

I ordered a Drobo FS, which does the DNLA stuff I need, but still need something to run Squeezebox Server.  Maybe I should just wait for the 2Ghz solutions and plan for that...

- Jon

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:09:17 AM »

WOW, I looked into getting the Drobo FS , But I couldn`t stop laughing when I found the price without any drives 540 inc Vat.
I think Data Robotics are suffering from a huge case self inflated egos

jbauer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 08:11:47 AM »

Yeah, I agree that it is overpriced, but I have always LOVED the Drobo, and I swore that if they ever made one that could be used as a NAS, I'd take the plunge.  I bit the bullet and placed my order.  Ahhhh, it's only money!  :-)

- Jon

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: