• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Now?  (Read 1524 times)
Trune

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »

Hi All,

So ive had the Sheeva plug a few months now, and im using it for the following;

- Samba
- ProFTPD
- DynDNS
- Rsync Backups
- Hosting 5.5TB of Hard Drives

I've toyed around with some sort of media servers... with limited luck.
At first i tried MT-DAAPD and Squeezebox server and then mediatomb.

None of them i really got on with, and none of them seem to be able to handle my music library (250,000 songs). Im not that suprised by it, though a little disapointed.

So just really wondering what else i can do with my plug? or any other good media type servers out there which would handle that kind of numbers?
Also any uses which would be cool with my other gadets, xbox 360, iphone, psp, wdtv...

cheers Smiley

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »

My firefly servse ~11k songs without any problem, but you could try Twonky DMS as a DLNA media server, it is not free but should be capable of serving that amount of media.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:23:19 AM »

Twonkymedia should do the trick. 

I have a Wiki page setup here that describes installation and configuration on Sheevaplug:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Run_TwonkyMedia_on_Sheevaplug

As mentioned, it's not free, but it is GOOD, infact it's the only one that delivers rock solid performance to my home network, both wired and wireless, for video, music, and photos..

You geta  30 day trial, if it works, there is a 50% promo at the mo.

http://www.twonkymedia.com/Promotions/index.html

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »

i tried twonky as well and it kept hanging and crashing through late states of the scan... i imagined it was because it was too many songs.

i may try again though.

Trune

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »

Ok, trying out the Twonky Beta 6 now, its ticking along nicely so far.
Music tracks: 57249  - 0 days, 1:37:44 hours

So a few more to scan for yet.

Not sure how good this solution will be mind, surely its going to take a very long time to access any songs from remote devices with a 35mb cache already?

I now have PlugPlayer on my iphone too (2.99 from itunes store) to play all my music from tonky, listing takes a long time. But to be honest the main thing i want is a decent media search solution so i can find tracks. My collection needs streamlining when i have time really too.

This then made me think, is there a VPN server for the sheevaplug which is compatible with the iphone, correct me if im wrong, but would this not then allow me to access my twonky media from anywhere on my iphone via plugplayer?

probably be quite handy for other things too! Smiley

I really would love to solve power saving for the usb drives also so i can turn the cadys off completely (they support it on windows)... but this seems to be a dead end on the sheeva plug which is a big shame.

sbin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:09:43 AM »

Ok, trying out the Twonky Beta 6 now, its ticking along nicely so far.
Music tracks: 57249  - 0 days, 1:37:44 hours

So a few more to scan for yet.

Twonkymedia 5 (and I think 6 too) has a setting for the database size in it config.
So, when you scan so much files you have to increase this value.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: