• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Compiler settings affect floating point performance?  (Read 2025 times)
tylernt

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:17:06 PM »

I just ordered my Sheeva and now begins the long wait. In the meantime, I'd like more information about floating point performance. I know that many benchmarks have been done and performance is very poor. However, I understand that software compiled to expect an FPU will have it's FP operations performed with illegal instruction faults on the Kirkwood -- something that's very, very inefficient. On the other hand, software can also be compiled with a software-emulated FPU: while still slow, I believe this would be considerably faster than the hardware-fault-handled FP processing.

My question is this: when people have been benchmarking Kirkwood FP performance, have they been compiling their test software using hardware-fault FP or software-emulated FP? I have a feeling it's the slower one and recompiling with the other setting might see a significant speed gain.

Am I way off base here? Obviously I plan to do some tests of my own once my Plug arrives Smiley, but that could be weeks... Sad

tinker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »

Use eabi .  See http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Why-ARMs-EABI-matters/

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:17:36 AM »

Thanks tinker. Looks like compiler settings can result in MAJOR speed increases. On the second chart, when it says the "speedup" is 23, I don't know if that means 23 times faster or 23% but based on the first chart it looks like 6 to 20 times faster.

Since the Kirkwood has such a small cache and the second chart shows better performance when less memory is used, perhaps the gcc -Os (optimize for small size) is another appropriate compiler setting.

EDIT: http://lists.gobolinux.org/pipermail/gobolinux-arm/2006-October/000010.html also shows similar results for FPU-less hardware.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:46:05 AM by tylernt » Logged

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 11:51:24 AM »

-Os reduces code size, not data size.  The knee in the chart shows what happens when the data gets bigger than the data cache.  I don't think -Os will help you.  Sorry.

The example in the chart uses a 16KB(yte) data cache.  The Sheeva core in the Plug has a 256KB L2 unified cache to go along with a 16KB L1 data only cache. (there is a dedicated 16KB L1 instruction cache as well)  While not enormous, the second level of cache should help move the knee to the right on that chart.

Mark

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 12:13:30 PM »

Good catch on that data vs instruction cache. As it turns out, my intended application (ffmpeg) won't run with -Os anyway (segfaults) so I guess it's -O2 for me.

I'll admit I'm a little confused on EABI vs. the -msoft-float compiler flag though: does -msoft-float require an EABI kernel to work? Either way, I'd love to see some nbench results with EABI/-msoft-float, as I bet it's a lot higher than the 0.358 found on http://computingplugs.com/index.php/SheevaPlug_Performance.

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »

I finally got my SheevaPlug, and I've been playing around with compiler settings on nbench.

FP Indexes:
Kenny's website (link above): 0.358
My Sheeva, with:
default compiler settings: 0.343
-msoft-float: 0.343
-mtune=xscale: 0.345
-march=armv5te: 0.348
-march=armv5te -mtune=xscale: 0.349

Sadly, -mhard-float throws an error for me, so I am unable to test it for comparison. Still, while other compiler flags do make a slight difference, it seems that FP is already as good as it gets and no combination of compiler settings will unlock any serious improvements.

Sad

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 12:34:48 AM »

there is no hardware floating point unit on the sheevaplug.

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:29:51 AM »

there is no hardware floating point unit on the sheevaplug.
Correct. I had hoped to increase FP performance by switching from hardware FP emulation to software, but appears everyone is already using software anyway.

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 10:09:31 AM »

i assume that the libc ist multiarch and catches missing FPU and does automaticly switch to softfloat.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: