• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Smoothwall on the Plug?  (Read 4125 times)
yachris

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2010, 06:58:59 PM »

Hello,

My old centrino box is getting a bit long in the tooth, but of course it runs Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org) very well.  It's basically a firewall, with two ethernet connections, one for the wild and wooly internet and one for your home network.

But I'd rather use a plugcomputer, for minimal power consumption.

Anyone ported it, or otherwise tried it out?  I assume there are USB ethernet adapters that I could use for the other ethernet connection?

Thanks!

lou1z

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:20:20 PM »

have a look at the guruplug plus. it has 2 x gigabit nic's.
you can however, run a router or gw on 1 nic using a managed switch with vlans.
as for smoothwall, i'm unsure.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »

Looks like it's a whole distro. Do they have an ARM branch that'll work on the plug? I use "Shorewall" which was simply a Debian package I was able to install on my existing Debian install.  It works great, pretty easy to use.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

yachris

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 01:25:47 PM »

Looks like it's a whole distro. Do they have an ARM branch that'll work on the plug? I use "Shorewall" which was simply a Debian package I was able to install on my existing Debian install.  It works great, pretty easy to use.
COOL, so you installed "Shorewall" on your Sheevaplug device?  Or onto a more standard Debian box?

THANKS!

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:16:30 PM »

Yeah, onto my SheevaPlug.. Just did an "aptitude install shorewall", configured it and off it went. Using a usb-ethernet adapter for the internet side.. Smiley

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: