• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: orion_nand vs orion_mtd  (Read 1597 times)
vorxio

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:44:48 AM »

I downloaded the latest sheeva plug installer from http://www.openplug.org

I modified the file uboot-nand-custom.txt with the correct MAC address, but I found this misterious line (AND I DIDN'T DON'T CHANGE IT):

# NAND flash partitions. If using kernel >= 2.6.30 then replace orion_nand with orion_mtd
mtdpartitions mtdparts=orion_nand:0x400000@0x100000(uImage),0x1fb00000@0x500000(rootfs)

I tried the install process and now everything seems OK, but  cat /proc/version
gives me:

Linux version 2.6.30.2 (kelly@speedy) (gcc version 4.2.1) #11 PREEMPT Wed Jul 22 19:53:31 MDT 2009

So I'm running 2.6.30.2 with the orion_nand stuff ?!? ...
is it ok? Should I reinstall everything changing the line in uboot-nand-custom.txt?

Thank you in advance,
  M.

pingtoo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:30:57 AM »

If you only want to boot from NAND but does not expect use NAND for your file system then it doesn't matter. u-boot does not use the partition information to load kernel/initrd. however if you plan to use NAND for file system in the future then you need to change u-boot environment variable. you don't need to re-flash.

Look around in this forums to find example how to change u-boot environment variable.

Good luck Smiley

Good Luck Smiley

osterluk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »

The orion_nand text needs to exactly match the string in the NAND mtd driver, so it really depends on the kernel you are using.  It shows up in <kernel>/drivers/mtd/nand/orion_nand.c as:

mtd->name = "orion_nand";

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: