• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plugbox Linux: Native Arch Linux for Sheevaplug - Try it Here  (Read 19359 times)
mikestaszel

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »

Some of you may have heard this or even used it already, but Plugbox Linux is a natively-compiled (on the Sheevaplug) Arch Linux port that used mainly vanilla Arch Linux PKGBUILDs, initscripts, packages, and tools. It works great on all plug computers: Sheevaplug, TonidoPlug, and Pogoplug (probably Ionics plugs as well, we just haven't tried it).

All of the 2,500+ packages we have in our Pacman repository were compiled on a Sheevaplug (well, 4 different plugs...) for optimization and speed. We stick as close as possible to the vanilla (unmodified) PKGBUILDs from ABS.

Of course, it's fully compatible with your usual Arch Linux tools: Makepkg, Yaourt, AUR, ABS, Makeworld, an easy /etc/rc.conf and BSD-style init are fully working on the Sheevaplug.

If anything, it's an extremely easy way to set up a native build environment. You'll master building packages in 5 minutes, guaranteed. It's even easier than ./configure, make, and make install. Makepkg is amazing, and you'd be suprized how fast packages are made (for a 1.2GHz plug anyway). It's a good way to get around setting up a cross-compiler (especially if you don't have a Linux install on your computer).

Installation is simple - download the rootfs below, grab a With-Linux kernel and modules, and just follow the SheevaPlug Installer 1.0. It works great from an SD card, USB, and NAND. SSH is enabled and on by default.

It's far from perfect and we're only at version 1.0.1 and have a lot planned, so feel free to join in! IRC is where the developers mostly hang out, so stop by with questions (and anything else)!

Information and Links

SSH and Console Login:
username: root
password: root

Download Plugbox Linux

SheevaPlug Install Guide

Plugbox Linux Home Page

Installing Packages and Popular Guides

Building Packages, our Github page, Development

Plugbox Linux Forum

We're also in IRC on irc.freenode.net in the #plugapps channel.

Rabeeh Khoury
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:15:33 AM »

Looks excellent. I'm starting to dive into the website.

ighea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »

This is so fantastic. I wasn't sure if I should buy bogoplug because of it's possibly limited software support, but this fxes that issue completely. Now all my comps can benefit from Arch awesomeness.

Thank you so much!

Deviant0ne

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »

Been using this for about a week now; works really well!

I did have an issue with the Tar ball at first from the download site, but it looks like that was fixed and I was able to get up and running. Great release!

ryazor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:55:50 AM »

ArchLinux on plug? Great!
Does anybody have experience, running this solution on a guru-plus? I would like to know, if there might be any issues, e.g. with esata, wireless or the like.

@ mikestaszel: thumbs up!

Regards!

xxcn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:01:34 PM »

Yes! I'd like to know that too  Grin

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »

I have a question regarding apps

On the wiki there is a list of application available. Is that the complete list or just an extract for which you have a written guide?

And also is it like the PC version a rolling distribution?

mikestaszel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »

If you use the With-Linux kernels from cbxbiker (http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva), you'll have Wifi and Bluetooth built-in. I don't think the access-point mode works on it though. ESATA works fine.

That list of applications is just ones that we have written guides for, there are about 3000 total packages though, look here: http://plugapps.com/arm

It's also a rolling distribution. We also release new installers (e.g. 1.0.1) every once in a while, but once you install it, you don't need anything besides pacman to keep it up-to-date.

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »

mikestaszel : thanks a lot for your answer...I might give it a try at some point

I have always wanted to get into Arch but never dared upsetting my family's addiction to Ubuntu Cheesy

As the plug is MINE I can do what I want!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: