• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: System clock runs 20% too fast!  (Read 2766 times)
Aschi

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:13:21 AM »

A question from a Sheeva/Linux newbie:
I have a new Sheeva, and the system time (> date) runs ahead about 12 seconds per minute!!!.
This appears extreme to me!
The hardware clock is much better (> hwclock --show).

Is there a setting which I need to change? Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Aschi

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:11:58 AM »

12 sec/minute is extreme.
Did you install a new kernel or build your own?
Are you running NTPD?

EDIT: Take a look at this thread: http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=2002
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:36:00 AM by MarkF » Logged

Mark

Aschi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 08:18:29 AM »

EDIT: Take a look at this thread: http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=2002

Hi Mark,

i think its exactly the same problem. Sheeva is very new, and has the new chip, and dmesg shows the same error.

Is there an easy way to upgrade the kernel but leaving the other installed stuff untouched? I have the the 2.6.30.2 kernel from the SheevaInstaller, installed on the NAND.

(sorry for this newbie question, but I tried to find ways to do it, and whatever I found sounds pretty complicated)

Thanks

Aschi

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 06:04:43 AM »

Is there an easy way to upgrade the kernel but leaving the other installed stuff untouched? I have the the 2.6.30.2 kernel from the SheevaInstaller, installed on the NAND.
It depends. Wink

Some of the "other installed stuff" may have dependencies on functionality and/or interfaces in your specific kernel version.  Upgrading the kernel without upgrading dependent drivers and/or libraries may cause things to break.

Having made that disclaimer, 2.6.30 (your current kernel) is not far from 2.6.32 (the kernel that supports your device) number-wise and may not have a large change in interfaces.  I don't know for certain, though.  ie. Keep a copy of your current kernel just in case you need to go back after updating.

As for upgrading the kernel, the Plug Wiki may have some entries for that.  The basic steps are: find/get the kernel you want to use, erase the area of NAND where the current kernel lives and copy the new kernel into that NAND area.  You can use u-boot to do these last two steps.

As long as you don't erase u-boot, you should be able to recover by using the same steps to put your current kernel back into the NAND.

EDIT: added link to pre-made kernels and modules
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:27:42 AM by MarkF » Logged

Mark

Aschi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 12:57:03 PM »

Hi Mark,

I did as you suggested, and now the hardware clock and system time are perfectly in sync! And the Baud rate of the USB-serial interface is no longer 20% too fast!

Thanks a lot for the support, I AM HAPPY :-)

Aschi!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: