• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MAC address - all for one and one for all  (Read 1904 times)
vkashesh

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2010, 08:52:20 AM »

Hi everyone,
I have 3 Plugs and they all have the same HWAddr (or the MAC address).  When I connect them online, they all get the same IP address....  is there something wrong with this? Shouldn't each Ethernet card have its own unique MAC address?  Or am I just misunderstanding the entire process?!?!?!

I try to release and renew the IP but as long as I have one of the three plugs connected to the network, it keep obtaining the same IP and can never change it until I have only 1 connected to the network.... then I connect the second one and it obtains the same new IP and the third does the same....

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:58:14 AM »

did you flash them with the installer?

The macaddress is an environment variable of the u-boot. You should be able to modify it there.

vkashesh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:01:07 AM »

Two of them I upgraded and one came already upgraded when I purchased it.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the MAC address is unique and is assigned by the manufacturer.  If I can change it, then it is not longer a unique value since I can be assigning it an address that some other hardware or device have.

However, can you elaborate on your comments that the mac address is an environment variable of the u-boot?

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:00 PM »

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the MAC address is unique and is assigned by the manufacturer.
Correct(ish).  The manufacturer will have assigned a MAC to it. 
If I can change it, then it is not longer a unique value since I can be assigning it an address that some other hardware or device have.
Then assign one that is not in use on your network (it's only per-network that matters).  You can usually(?) assign MAC addresses to interfaces as that is needed for High Availability switchovers.[/quote]
However, can you elaborate on your comments that the mac address is an environment variable of the u-boot?
It's also settable in the interface config (which would cure your DHCP issues without needing to get to the boot environment).  Just add a line like this (with a suitable MAC) to the relevant interface sections in /etc/network/interfaces.
Code:
hwaddress ether 00:50:43:01:ff:0d

tinker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:33:19 PM »

The MAC address should be on a label on the bottom side of the plug.  Use that value to set the environment variable in u-boot

vkashesh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »

Found the label and the MAC address.  I used birdman's suggestion to get the right MAC address set in the plug I have but this will be a temporary fix.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: