• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GuruPlug - Received Yours Yet?  (Read 3323 times)
Blüto

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2010, 03:50:14 AM »

It's finally April, and I for one expect to receive my GuruPlug before the end of the month. I expect GlobalScale to have placed its production order at the conclusion of the Free JTAG offer/extortion March 1, and by now to have at least received if not begun to ship the first such units hot off the assembly line.

Let's see how long it takes them to fulfll their obligations under ideal conditions. I'm willing to cut them some slack for the SheevaPlug Development Kit fiasco (we ALL have to climb the learning curve), but given that Mr. Globalscale himself described the GuruPlug as "ready to ship" as of CES 2010, I'm sure we'll be squealing with delight as we start to receive our shipping confirmation numbers over the next several days. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Xl0Br3xuA, 13:23 on the timeline.

I'M SO STOKED!

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 05:54:24 AM »

It's finally April, and I for one expect to receive my GuruPlug before the end of the month. I expect GlobalScale to have placed its production order at the conclusion of the Free JTAG offer/extortion March 1, and by now to have at least received if not begun to ship the first such units hot off the assembly line.

I ordered my GuruPlug Plus in March and did get it now. They sent it at the 05/10/2010 from the U.S. and here in Germany
arrived me at the 05/12/2010...but I could pickup it yesterday at FedEx...

The last month I did get a email from them regrading some FCC-problems, after that they will ship. And here it is now :-)

feffer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »

Ordered the GuruPlug server plus in February and got it (in Northern CA) on May 13th. I called them two weeks ago to ask for shipping status. The operator checked my order and said it had been sent to "fulfillment" and I should get an email in a day or two. So that stretched out to two weeks.

I'm new to the Sheeva Plug, moving over from a Linksys Slug. So when I placed my order for the GuruPlug+ I also ordered a standard SheevaPlug. They billed me for a single shipping charge, so I worried that they might wait to ship them together, and that is just what they did. However, the whole order arrived and appears to be in good shape. I have the standard plug up and running with Debian. The GuruPlug also came with the free pre-ordered jtag connector. I'm content to spend time setting up the standard Sheeva and will watch the forum for info about the GuruPlug.

I don't give Globalscale high marks for customer service, but I was able to reach them by phone and as I said everything did get here and it was well-packed.

Regards,
feffer

btw, Blüto I watched your youTube vid and was confused by one thing you said. You referred to the figure 8 connector as a European one, but I thought it was just an extension cord that could be used in the U.S. as well.

jlinton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:33:42 PM »

I recieved mine last fri, after calling them because I ordered mine in feb. I just now plugged it in and spent an hour scratching my head/screwing with drivers about how to get the jtag/serial working with win7 64. Eventually I went back to the VM of suse that I used for my openrd last year. At that point It came right up.

I think globalscale could help us all out, with a reasonable quick start card, and a couple pointers to the correct locations to download the docs/kernels etc. I guess I was spoiled because the openrd came with a CD full of information (some of which was wrong). It forms a starting point, there is a quick blurb on the plug computing wiki about connecting to the guruplug over wifi, that probably should be in the box instead of the stupid registration card.

plugfest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 11:46:33 PM »

Well, I just got mine yesterday (2 of them actually plus free JTAG module).
Packaging is solid, tested one and it looks and works great.

As others already noted there is absolutely no documentation so without wiki and forum help it would be hard to get started.

docbee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 07:12:34 AM »

I got mine also today but without advertised free jtag module, which makes it quite useless because the unit doesn't even boot up a mini linux without jtag fiddling. At least it does not ask for an IP connected to my LAN. Am I asking for too much from a computer? At least I would expect some way of logging in via LAN...  Sad

I have paid via credit card months in advance, they offer international shipping at ridiculous prices only, no documentation worth mentioning, no free jtag as advertised. However it can produce lots of heat while sitting sitting on my desktop powered on and being useless until I get a now separately ordered jtag module... I guess that will take another couple of months... and then I will again get some undocumented bunch of material (of course in cool black) that might do something or not...

Sorry Globalscale people, but this is inferior by any standards!

seacritter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 07:36:50 AM »

Yep...  Just got mine today as well...

JTAG stuff, No Documentation, but a really nice box...

Alucard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »

I ordered mine 7 April, and e-mailed Globalscale yesterday.  Just received a reply: Mine won't ship til the beginning of June "due to the popularity of this product."

So.. any US retailers shipping the GuruPlug Plus immediately? Smiley

Blüto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 06:09:33 AM »

You referred to the figure 8 connector as a European one, but I thought it was just an extension cord that could be used in the U.S. as well.
The preproduction artwork illustrated the plug as if it shipped with US, UK and Euro snap-on adapters. What I thought at first glance was the Euro adapter was actually the figure 8 (extension cable) adapter.

No script, no rehearsals, no retakes. I was surprised as anyone else that the box was the most useful and functional item in the shipment.

guidol

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:37:24 AM »

I got mine also today but without advertised free jtag module, which makes it quite useless because the unit doesn't even boot up a mini linux without jtag fiddling. At least it does not ask for an IP connected to my LAN. Am I asking for too much from a computer? At least I would expect some way of logging in via LAN...  Sad

Normally your Guruplug should catch a DHCP-Adress via Lan if you do conenct him to the upper port (eht0)
(if you got an active DHCP-Server.. e.g. in your Router?)
Otherwise you should see a open WLAN calles Plug-and something of the MAC-Address of your Guruplug.

You could find the Quickstartguide at the URL
http://code.google.com/p/guruplug/downloads/list

Iam also find it curios to put the URL in the Quickstartguide which cant be found without the guide :-)
But Google and the homepage of the manufacturer of the Guruplug is your friend:
http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-downloads.aspx

The login is root/nosoup4u

hausschuh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:04:21 AM »

In a German forum 2 guys also received their Guruplug today.

caseih

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 07:29:57 AM »

I e-mailed Globalscale about my order yesterday and they replied saying they won't be shipping my order until at least June.  So that will be a solid 2 months from order to delivery.  That's quite a bit longer than my first sheevaplug order placed when the sheevaplug was announced.

kwadronaut

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 07:41:28 AM »

I received mine today and also had the overheating problems as mentioned elsewhere in the forums. I mailed the supplier and got an answer pretty fast:

Can you please check if the reboot cycle still appears when you switch off the unit, unplug the Ethernet cable and than switch on again with out Ethernet connection?

So this is how it's been running now rather smooth, since an hour or so and it doesn't get as hot as before. I'm connecting to it through the serial interface, played with the leds, found out that the clock drifted *slightly* away, It was 2018 when I first logged in.

Scifi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 04:41:50 PM »

Got mine yesterday, like others I'm fighting the heating/booting/network issues...and still trying to figure out how to set everything up.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: