• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Two Plugs Running Debain and Various Servers  (Read 5444 times)
Deviant0ne

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »

I've had two plugs for almost a year now... After this long, and hours of tinkering, I finally have both plugs running optimally. Both plugs began life running Ubuntu 9.04, but the idea that Ubuntu no longer supports the plug's processor aggravated me, so both plugs are now running Debian Lenny so the first plug is now running Debian Squeeze and the second is running Gentoo, both directly on NAND; I am able to use and update the sheeva-with-linux kernels easily (using the --nandkernel install method just like the stock Ubuntu install, instead of --rootkernel) on both plugs and both plus are running different server applications.

My first plug, named TehGate and running Debian Lenny Squeeze, I use as a(n):
- DDClient updater (to keep my domain name current)
- SSH server
- OpenVPN bridge server
- ruTorrent server (using a HTTPS LightTPD server)
- MediaWiki Server
- LightTPD web server
- TwonkyMedia Server
I've opened this plug up to the outside world; using its servers, I am able to route all of my browser traffic through my home and access all of my private network resources, not to mention easily controll my rTorrent install using ruTorrent. I've also attached a 500GB USB drive to TehGate for extra storage; this is nice for storing files temporarily and compiling applications.

My second plug, named TehMedia, runs Gentoo and is acting as an OpenVPN tunnel server. I use as an (internal) network media server. TehMedia has installed:
- TwonkyMedia Server
- Latest custom compiled versions of FFmpeg, x264 and libtheora
This plug has the ability to transcode my FLAC and multiple video files for listening and viewing on my PS3, Mac mini or MacBook. I've also attached a 500GB USB drive to TehMedia for extra storage; this is nice for storing files temporarily and compiling applications.
I plan to add an 8GB SD card and run Gentoo from SD instead of NAND.

Another aspect worth mentioning here is that both plugs have Samba installed and access my NAS devices directly to save and read files across a gigabit network. In other words, both plugs have Debian installed on NAND (not SD or USB) and save torrent data or read FLAC (or whatever else) solely across my network to my NAS devices.

I've attempted to document everything I've done to my plugs on my laptop in a text document, but I plan to take my documentation to a wiki to share with everyone who's interested.

UPDATE: I've started using ESIA to control my plugs. From ESIA (thanks rooster) I've been able to easily update my plug OS's. I am now running Gentoo and Debian Squeeze. I've made the correct notations above.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:33:57 PM by Deviant0ne » Logged

thrbigob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:17:18 PM »

I am exactly the same position you were in. I have a plug with Ubuntu running exactly as I want it however I am concerned that they are stopping support so will be looking to put debian on. If you have a document I would really appreciate the guidance.

Deviant0ne

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:30:54 PM »

I can document how I installed Debian here, no problem. Smiley I found the easiest way was to use mgillespie's "Alternative Debian Install Method". For starters, I made sure I had enough room on my plug to install everything mgillespie's script required; you can also install onto a USB disk or flash drive, I just chose to use internal NAND, as I would be erasing everything soon.

1. Download mgillespie's script and place it in a directory of your choice. See THIS thread for reference.
2. Execute the script:
Code:
sudo bash ./DebianSheeva1-5.sh
3. Wait for the script to finish building a rootfs.tar.gz
4. Replace the old Ubuntu rootfs.tar.gz in the SheevaPlug Installer 1.0 with your newly created Debian rootfs.tar.gz
5. Run through the normal SheevaPlug Installer procedure

That is the basic install procedure I followed. I used mgillespie's README file and the documentation on the SheevaPlug Installer to get me through the rest, but the whole process took about 20 minutes from running the script to getting an SSH tunnel up and running.

One interesting aspect of all of this (to me anyway) was that I was able to install the sheeva-with-linux kernels after issuing:
Code:
sudo apt-get install devio
Once devio was installed, I could then update my kernel as if I were using the stock Ubuntu install: sudo bash ./README-2.6.32.9 --nandkernel

Hope this helps!

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:45:52 PM »

I`ve only had my plug a couple of months now, but my plug is doing more that my main computer.
e-mail ( all ways which is 4 programs ) ,  Drupal ( Using php , apache , mysql  etc ) , SSH ( not forward facing ) , samba , Transmission and flexget , booting from a 1.5 TB Esata drive
Looking for a good media server which will transcode ,  installed TwonkyMedia Server yesterday and must have more to set up , because I don`t get work it`s meant to do, and can only play a single track.

I`ll have a look at FFmeg to see if it will do what I want .

Deviant0ne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »

Twonky is a great program, but yes, it does require other programs in order to be able to transcode. There is a good tutorial in the wiki HERE, and there is also a great tutorial HERE for installing the latest version of FFmpeg.

heini

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »

Another aspect worth mentioning here is that both plugs have Samba installed and access my NAS devices directly to save and read files across a gigabit network. In other words, both plugs have Debian installed on NAND (not SD or USB) and save torrent data or read FLAC (or whatever else) solely across my network to my NAS devices.

You didn't mention any Windows client so I'm curious as to why you're using Samba instead of NFS, which would be the "natural" choice in a pure Unix environment. Do your NAS devices not provide NFS?

Bye...

Dirk

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »

- Latest custom compiled versions of FFmpeg, x264 and libtheora
I'm very interested in your ./configure and 'make' settings for FFmpeg, as I will be using it heavily on my Sheeva.

Deviant0ne

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:19:48 PM »

You didn't mention any Windows client so I'm curious as to why you're using Samba instead of NFS, which would be the "natural" choice in a pure Unix environment. Do your NAS devices not provide NFS?

Bye...

Dirk

I did forget to mention that I do use Windows XP (rarely, inside of VMWare Fusion) for EAC. Using Samba is handy when I want to backup my rips to my NAS devices.

I'm very interested in your ./configure and 'make' settings for FFmpeg, as I will be using it heavily on my Sheeva.

I used THIS Ubuntu-based guide (which works the same on Debian Squeeze) to install FFmpeg. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 01:22:19 PM by Deviant0ne » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: