I am hosting a wordpress blog (holmbase.dynalias.net/plugblog) from my plug using lighttpd. I ran into some trouble using some network storage and figured other people might have the same problem:
I did a lot of searching and asking around. The important clue was a 'sendfile' error in the error.log file for the blog. Using that some folks led me to a lighttpd setting for what system calls to use. I just added the line
server.network-backend = "write"
to my lighttpd.conf file, and everything started working.
This explanation and some links are at http://holmbase.dynalias.net/plugblog/index.php/archives/working-again-all-on-the-nas/