• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Poll
Question: Choose the option that most closely reflects your current situation:  (1)What is the current status of your Plug's power supply, (2)how old is your Plug, (3)is/was its USB port used for high-powered devices like a disk drive?
OK, 0-3 mo old, no high powered USB use - 13 (7.8%)
OK, 3-6 mo old, no high powered USB use - 4 (2.4%)
OK, 6-9 mo old, no high powered USB  use - 10 (6%)
OK, >9 mo old, no high powered USB use - 25 (15.1%)
OK, 0-3 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 1 (0.6%)
OK, 3-6 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 4 (2.4%)
OK, 6-9 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 4 (2.4%)
OK, >9 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 9 (5.4%)
Failed, 0-3 mo old, no high powered USB use - 7 (4.2%)
Failed, 3-6 mo old, no high powered USB use - 6 (3.6%)
Failed, 6-9 mo old, no high powered USB  use - 22 (13.3%)
Failed, >9 mo old, no high powered USB use - 37 (22.3%)
Failed, 0-3 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 1 (0.6%)
Failed, 3-6 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 4 (2.4%)
Failed, 6-9 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 7 (4.2%)
Failed, >9 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 12 (7.2%)
Total Voters: 161

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Poll: What is the status of your SheevaPlug's Power Supply?  (Read 24225 times)
restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2010, 09:39:50 PM »

Let's see if we can quantize the Sheeva-Plug's PS problems.  This is the first time I've created a Poll here, so let's see if I've done it right.

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:08:29 AM »

there is a flaw in this poll, I used a USB2 DAS and USB audio connected to plug via powered USB hub and I assume many people do too.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:22:46 AM »

Rooster, I agree with you that this point could stand some clarification.  I also use a powered USB hub on my Plug with two 2.5" USB-powered drives connected to it, but I answered the question as if no power-hungry devices were connected to the Plug, because they are not drawing their power from the Plug's PS.

Everyone:  If you are using a powered hub with your Plug, there should be no significant power draw from the Plug's USB port even if you have high-power devices attached to the hub, so vote accordingly.

ON1DQD

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »

I drawn nothing from it via USB and stil it's fried  Sad

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »

It's looking as if high-power USB devices are not a root cause of the power supply failures we have been experiencing with our Plugs recently.  It appears the voltage on the mains may be the culprit -- that perhaps the Plug's PS is not up to the task of handling a 240V line voltage:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1457.0

If this is indeed the case, the good news is that I think there is a fairly easy work-around.  I would recommend that everyone running their Plugs in an area where a 240V +/- line voltage is the norm consider acquiring a 2:1 voltage step-down transformer for their Plug.  These devices can be ordered online and are relatively inexpensive, at least when compared to a broken Plug.  They are common among tourists visiting from parts of the world where 120V is the norm.

Good luck!

ON1DQD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »

@restamp

Can you tell us if it's possible to buy a power supply spare part for the plug?

Thanks!

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »

Unfortunately, I'm not affiliated with either GlobalScale or the other company marketing the Plug in Europe.  I do, however, think it would be an excellent idea for them to offer replacement power supplies at a reasonable cost.

With all the brain power we have in this forum, you'd think someone should be able to take a look at their failed PS and publish a report of what needs to be replaced to bring it back to life -- maybe even specifying beefier components so that the problem will not recur.  Has anyone with a failed Plug actually looked into what fails on the PS board?  It appears one cap vents violently.  Does this take out other components, and if so which ones?  Perhaps this thing is repairable.

oldgadgetboy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 03:05:40 PM »

Finally got round to running my plug for a reasonable time yesterday (had it since autumn) and was surprised at how hot it got .

Did a bith of math using the basic 10 W per sq metre fro 1 deg C temp rise that has serve3d me well over a career in electronics and figured from the 20 - 25 temp rise that there must be  over 5W dissipation in the box and that air temp inside it must be another 20 deg or so higher.

Ambient of 70 to 80 C is pushing it for commercial components and will always lead to high failure rates - electronics are like us in the ambient temp they like ;-)

So i opened my box and found it was neat construction but with the PSU in that little box my estaimate of ambient for its components is very conservative.

I have no problems with little fingers getting at my kit - the kids are in their 30s so I  drilled a matix of 6mm holes on top and bottm of case. It spoils the looks but so far its keeping everything cooler.

I think the Plug is a neat piece of kit and looks like a lot of thought has gone into it but my feeling is it needs more cooling or failures of stressed components esp in PSU are inevitable - A few fins on the case maybe? or a few more holes (not necessarily the colander I have made)

for the record had it > 3 months but so far run it 3 times on 240 V with USB hub and USB stick as well as SD card

scologic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 03:10:40 PM »

We've abandoned the plugs psu for a 5v 2amp cisco plug psu and rewired the power cable to a dc jack socket

Not being funny but as they are skrimping on component features on the guru instead of spending a few dollars more you know that the psu is awarded to the cheapest manufacturer, and having examined the craftsman ship and bakeolite board - the decision to dump the psu for a nice cisco off the shelf POE 5v PSU was a no brainer.

The cisco psu costs around 8 USD or 5.

riel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 07:13:24 AM »

I cannot believe you guys spend a lot of time and money no a problem that should be solved by the manufacturer??

ON1DQD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:26:29 AM »

It would be nice if we have a schematic diagram this way we can fix it easely.

akc42

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 11:03:43 AM »

Looks like I have just had a failure of a plug that has been running 24/7 since I bought it last November.  It was acting as a router/home server, and had an ethernet adapter plugged into the usb.

It seems to have fried the sd card that was in it - I can't get any response from it in any of my other machines I tried plugging it in.

mail4asim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 11:50:50 PM »

Does anyone know if the powersupply units GlobalScale is selling on their website any better than the ones that are blowing up ? I don't want to spend $17+ just to have another fried powersupply in a year.

I was thinking about deploying this device in a manufacturing environment, but now I will be thinking twice before doing anything crazy like that.

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 06:52:51 AM »

We have been told that these PSU's are  from a new supplier and they have used better components in them.

naugtur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 03:37:39 AM »

Try opening the box and seeing for yourselves. My friend who knows a bit of electronics fixed my power supply by replacing the parts that looked fried and the microcontroller and the IR bridge (or whatever it's called in english). He spent about 4PLN (I'm from Poland) on electronics - it's about 1EUR

He said it's in return for a bag of fresh carrots I bought for him when he didn't have cash on him 3 days earlier Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to: