• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Poll
Question: Choose the option that most closely reflects your current situation:  (1)What is the current status of your Plug's power supply, (2)how old is your Plug, (3)is/was its USB port used for high-powered devices like a disk drive?
OK, 0-3 mo old, no high powered USB use - 13 (7.8%)
OK, 3-6 mo old, no high powered USB use - 4 (2.4%)
OK, 6-9 mo old, no high powered USB  use - 10 (6%)
OK, >9 mo old, no high powered USB use - 25 (15.1%)
OK, 0-3 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 1 (0.6%)
OK, 3-6 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 4 (2.4%)
OK, 6-9 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 4 (2.4%)
OK, >9 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 9 (5.4%)
Failed, 0-3 mo old, no high powered USB use - 7 (4.2%)
Failed, 3-6 mo old, no high powered USB use - 6 (3.6%)
Failed, 6-9 mo old, no high powered USB  use - 22 (13.3%)
Failed, >9 mo old, no high powered USB use - 37 (22.3%)
Failed, 0-3 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 1 (0.6%)
Failed, 3-6 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 4 (2.4%)
Failed, 6-9 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 7 (4.2%)
Failed, >9 mo old, high powered USB devices used - 12 (7.2%)
Total Voters: 161

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Poll: What is the status of your SheevaPlug's Power Supply?  (Read 28045 times)
mhtsaras

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 01:58:28 PM »

I had a power supply failure and replaced it with a switced 5v-24v / 3A external p.s and the plug comp. is running fine until now.
After I replaced it I noticed that the plug was running faster (faster boot time, remote response, iceweasel page draw etc).
I also have connected a usb powered 500GB disk, but it's covered by the plug's usb output.
Another thing that I posted on another thread is :
Why when I'm using an external 5v/3A power supply it's relatively cool or warm but when I was using my plug's original power supply (which is dead now) it was so hot that sometimes you could not touch the little metal case?
The answer is : because the plug's original power supply is for trash.
So the best thing to do is to replace it as soon as possible....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 02:09:07 PM by mhtsaras » Logged

sillis
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »

I dont know if this is already said but a quick and reliable fix to a dead sheevaplug psu is to throw away the psu and take power from an active usb hub.  All you need is one extra usb cable and some soldering skills. 

My sheevaplug has been working ever since.

UnaClocker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 09:16:01 AM »

I changed my vote. I got up this morning to find a failed power supply in my Sheeva. From my quick diagnostics. I found that it was only putting out about 2.9v. I grabbed a 5v/2.5a Class IV power supply from a powered USB hub and hard wired it into the Sheeva. Came right back to life afterwards. From the mixed success stories, it sounds like I lucked out. I imagine my plug will last a long long time now. I got 10 months out of the original supply, I marked "high power USB devices", though that's not really true.. I only used an unpowered hub and USB-ethernet adapter on the Sheeva, my USB HDD is a powered unit.

SheevaPlug - 8gb class 4 SDHC primary drive, 4tb 3.5" media drive, Debian Wheezy, nginx, Samba, Shorewall

fletcher8la
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2010, 04:33:10 AM »

i want more information about that actually i didn't get that points.

dattaway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 05:46:39 AM »

Changed my vote, but really needed an option "replaced capacitors in a power supply that overheated, because it was wrapped around too many layers of covers and insulation."

Had great uptime until it started rebooting frequently on its own.  Now with a simple vent mod, it should last a lifetime.

mgillespie

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »

Mine Sheevaplug PSU failed this weekend.   Looking at the design it's clear why it's failed.

It's also rather shocking that supplies of replacement PSU's are not realilly available from Globalscale and it's distributors seeing as it's a know issue.   If you have a Sheevaplug and you have the original PSU, then I suspect yours is living on borrowed time...

Will replacing the capacitiors being mine back to life?  (it wasn't totally dead, I had flashing LED's)

jlpoole
Principal Software Engineer
Global Moderator

Principal Software Engineer -- Oracle Corporation

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 05:07:20 PM »

My SheevaPlug at work appears to have died.  I had disconnected the network cable two weeks ago and then when I reconnected it to a DHCP server it received a new IP... presumably, as I could not log in via SSH.  I then tried to access the plug via the serial interface so I could determine the IP leased to it, I was able to log in, did not see an assigned IP, so I performed a reboot.  I had some problems ... the hard drive was not remounting, the usual Marvell text did not shoot by, so I rebooted again and after than the plug just went into a mode of blinking green light every 2 seconds.  I unplugged and let it rest and when I plugged the unit back in, it just went into the green blinking mode (the LEDs on the network port blink in tandem, too).  After I unplug it, the green light blinks for a few more times... probably the discharge from a capacitor providing the current?

My plug has been running continuously for about 14 months (September 2009) with a Seagate hard drive (the hard drive has its own power).  This was my second plug computer, my first (March 2009) at home is still running, but now I'm thinking I cannot rely on it to live much longer.

I did nothing to the system other than restart it and disconnect/connect a network cable.  I even retried soft restarts with the paperclip.

Question: is a blinking green light (about every 1-2 seconds) and nothing more (the serial interface does not respond) the sign that the plug is no longer going to work? 

If that's the case: ouch, this really hurts. 

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 08:49:56 PM »

It likely is just a bad power supply.  Have you disassembled it and measured the PS voltage?  If it turns out to be that, it is fairly easy to replace with a 5V 2A wall wart.

Good luck.

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 03:11:28 AM »

I just joined the club of plugs with failed PSUs. Same picture as everywhere else: one of the capacitors bulged, plug failed after around 11 months of continous operation.

Luckily I already had the replacement PSU from New IT so it's up and running again. The capacitor that bulged was one of the smaller ones, the one between the switch transistor and the transformer. The smaller capacitors seem to have been replaced by different types on the new PSU, which gives me some hope Wink

Thanks,
--Christian

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 07:17:37 AM »

"Luckily" bought two SheevaPlugs from Globalscale back in Sep 09, of one was more or less sitting idle at my desk as a spare (if the first would fail).
The "production" plug was sitting in the somhow cool basement running 24/7 as a NAS.
As I made my "development" work switching from Ubuntu to Debian on the spare plug the productive one got replaced the spare plug a few weeks ago as just replaced them during the OS swap to minimize the "downtime".
Thus I noticed that the as by then productive plug starts to show the PSU symptons.
Luckily it still boots, but it takes up to three minutes till it becomes stable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgCVQIBcmeQ

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:23 AM »

Oh, that's painful to watch. I've observed this same phenomenon with other switching supplies.  Every time the Plug LEDs flash it's a power pulse being supplied to the processor board, but the PS is not able to sustain itself.  It's like a florescent lamp with a bad ballast.  This pulsating power can't be good for the electronics on either the PS or the main boards.  Please fix it before it either corrupts something else!

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 06:48:59 AM »

Agree, I'd like to. Would you or sb else can tell me which are the problematic parts to replace?
At least the capacitor (1) looks a bit fried, but also that other part (2) also marked with a red rectangle in the attached jpg.
thx!

* FriedSheevaPlugPSU.jpg (22.58 KB, 413x311 - viewed 1005 times.)

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29:09 AM »

PS: there's a BOM at http://www.openplug.org/index.php/us/resources/downloads?func=fileinfo&id=82, however I'm not sure if it fits to my Plug as the BOM may be valid first the first HW revison, only? I have that bigger gap between the USB and Eth port (BTW: is that free space between those two ports an option to solder in an eSATA connector?  Cool)

And I just noticed that we can order spare PSUs at either Globalscale [1]  (or NewIT [2]). But isn't that a shame that we'd have to pay for it!!  Angry

Sounds a bit like the theme of the following (German) Limerick:

Ein Uhrmacher aus Wesselburen
    verschenkte en gros seine Uhren.
    Er erntet den Lohn
    seiner Investition
    und lebt jetzt von Reparaturen !

However Globalscale didn't give their Plugs for free ...

[1] http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/p-36-sheevaplug-power-supply.aspx
[2] http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=SheevaPlugPSU

odoll

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »

Don't know if it was worth the effort rather buying a new one, but a colleague still had a PSU from which he cut the cables/connector from a GuruPlug. He built in a fan so he needed the space which was occupied but the plug's PSU and he replaced it with an external one.

Thus I had to unsolder the connectors off my broken one and solder them back to his PSU: and it works :-)))

At least it was some fun doing some crafting again ;-)

* SheevaPlug_PSU_Swap.jpg (31.08 KB, 384x437 - viewed 1001 times.)

davolfman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »

I'm somewhere in between.  No high-power devices (that weren't self powered).  My power supply itself is fine.  My plug itself fell apart literally and I'm stuck using the power cable (I think of it as a tape-recorder AC cable which probably dates my childhood).

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to: