• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Install Sheeva-with-Linux kernel on Debian  (Read 3045 times)
Deviant0ne

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:04:59 PM »

I've just installed Debian Lenny on my plug; I've read that users have had success with installing the Sheeva-with-Linux kernels on their Debian-based plugs. I tried to install, but the directions I've been able to find are lacking. I was hoping someone wouldn't mind posting how the achieved this so that I can update my kernel. Thanks in advace.

mundhra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:28 AM »

the details are dependent on whether or not you are booting your kernel from NAND or from usb/sd.

boot into your environment
download the appropriate README from here (wget http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/README-2.6.33)

for nand:
1) run the readme with --nandkernel option (bash ./README-2.6.33 --nandkernel)
2) create or modify the file /etc/sysctl.d/10-process-security.conf and add the following line: 'vm.mmap_min_addr = 32768'
3) reboot
4) interrupt uboot and ensure you have the following parameters defined (printenv): mainlineLinux=yes; arcNumber=2097. otherwise 'setenv mainlineLinux yes' then 'setenv arcNumber 2097' and 'saveenv' then 'reset'

for usb/sd:
1) make sure your /boot is mounted
2) run the readme with --rootkernel option (bash ./README-2.6.33 --rootkernel)
3) take note of the message it leaves act accordingly (cd /boot && mv uInitrd uInitrd_bak && mv uImage uImage_bak && ln -s sheeva-2.6.33-uImage uImage)
4) create or modify the file /etc/sysctl.d/10-process-security.conf and add the following line: 'vm.mmap_min_addr = 32768'
5) reboot
6) interrupt uboot, record your current boot parameters, then change your boot parameters to remove uInitrd similar to as described here
7) ensure you have the following parameters defined (printenv): mainlineLinux=yes; arcNumber=2097. otherwise 'setenv mainlineLinux yes' then 'setenv arcNumber 2097' and 'saveenv' then 'reset'

alternately, you can not run the commands in usb/sd step 3 and instead modify the the boot parameters in step 5 to refer to sheeva-2.6.33-uImage instead of uImage

Deviant0ne

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:25:58 PM »

Thank you very much for the reply. I attempted to follow your instructions, to no avail (so I thought). I tried a host of different activities (up to and including attempting to compile my own kernel), also to no avail. Frustrated, after working on such a simple upgrade for over a week, I attempted to update via the READ script once more using:
Code:
sudo bash ./README-2.6.32.9 --nandkernel
and it worked (keeping in mind this refused to work before). I'm not sure what is different, but the upgrade worked perfectly; I am up and running with 2.6.32.9 now. Thank you very much for your help!

Deviant0ne

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:02:23 PM »

I think I now know why this worked... See my last post HERE.

rrush

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:53:54 PM »

I just did this last night using the 2.6.33 kernel, but I did not have to change any boot args through the serial term to make it work.   I ran the README script with --rootkernel and copied the result sheeva-2.6.33-uImage to /dev/mmcblk0p1 and rebooted...and it didn't work.  Then I realized I forgot to name it uImage when I copied it to the boot partition of the SD card.  I popped the card into a reader on my Ubuntu system and copied the new kernel to it as uImage.  The plug then booted no problem from the SD card with the new kernel.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: