• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Guruplug: Which distribution is/will be shipped?  (Read 10988 times)
Kev

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:53:47 AM »

Which distribution will be shipped with the guruplug when it becomes available?

Will it be ubuntu (9.04?) or debian?

Is there any info out there?

restamp
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 11:54:31 AM »

FWIW, I received an email from Globalscale yesterday which says, in part: 
Code:
This is an updated notice of your GuruPlug Server (Standard version, PLUS
version) order status.

Due to CE & FCC certifications process delay, we are expected to ship your
order at the end of April once the certifications are confirmed.

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 09:02:55 AM »

Which distribution will be shipped with the guruplug when it becomes available?

Will it be ubuntu (9.04?) or debian?

Is there any info out there?

We have been informed by Globalscale that it will be Debian 5.0 (Lenny).

Kev

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »

Thanks for the answers!

the end of april is close, are there any new infos out there? Is there any delay on shipping the guruplug?

NewIT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »

We received a delivery update from Globalscale last night, this tells us that our shipment will be leaving China next week; this is sent over to Hong Kong then onto the UK by air. With previous orders once we are informed that the shipment has left China it normally takes about 7 days to get to us. But as I am sure most of us are aware of the disruption the volcano has caused the airlines, there maybe a small delay whilst they are clearing the backlog of freight being sent by air.
Once we have confirmation of the flight leaving Hong Kong we can then announce a firm delivery date to ourselves and therefore a despatch date for all orders.

Many thanks for you patience.

theend757

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »

Hello

I wanted to know if there a way to install ubuntu or centos on the gurulpug display or it won't support those just Denian. My project is to use this device to install xbmc on it.   

fragfutter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »

ubuntu dropped support for armV5 after ubuntu 9.04. So later ubuntu versions will run into problems (most stuff is still compiled for armv5, but they don't guranteee. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM)

there is no current centos arm port. Although there is a fedora 12 port for armv5 (fedora is base for redhat enterprise linux which is base of centos). But its not package complete

To my knowledge you have three choices of reasonably complete distributions. Debian, Arch, Gentoo.

If you want to run XBMC you will need video acceleration (no idea how good the video of guruplug is) and some video codecs. There are some video codecs (mostly ffmpeg) that are available in source. But others (newer wmv) are used through the windows binaries. Those are not available for arm.

If you are not experienced with linux (and arm) i would suggest to target an atom based nettop. Acer Revo starts at 199USD and that includes a small harddisk.

theend757

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »

ubuntu dropped support for armV5 after ubuntu 9.04. So later ubuntu versions will run into problems (most stuff is still compiled for armv5, but they don't guranteee. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM)

there is no current centos arm port. Although there is a fedora 12 port for armv5 (fedora is base for redhat enterprise linux which is base of centos). But its not package complete

To my knowledge you have three choices of reasonably complete distributions. Debian, Arch, Gentoo.

If you want to run XBMC you will need video acceleration (no idea how good the video of guruplug is) and some video codecs. There are some video codecs (mostly ffmpeg) that are available in source. But others (newer wmv) are used through the windows binaries. Those are not available for arm.

If you are not experienced with linux (and arm) i would suggest to target an atom based nettop. Acer Revo starts at 199USD and that includes a small harddisk.

Im good with linux. I been working with linux for while back. Just that my main projects is to save power. don't wanna have a computer running all the time and having a big bill at the end lol

hazi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:17 PM »

Hello

I wanted to know if there a way to install ubuntu or centos on the gurulpug display or it won't support those just Denian. My project is to use this device to install xbmc on it.   

I have the same goal. It would be nice to hear from you when your project starts and you'll get your first experiences with the guruplug.

tylernt

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:48:41 AM »

Don't forget the ArmedSlack port of Slackware. 12.2 is stable and -current will give you the EABI. Since Slack doesn't have a lot of packages except what it ships with, you may find yourself compiling things from source tarballs, but that usually works ok.

Kev

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 02:24:41 PM »

We received a delivery update from Globalscale last night, this tells us that our shipment will be leaving China next week.
Has it left china on time?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:48:14 AM by Kev » Logged

ppmt

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 09:01:36 PM »

We received a delivery update from Globalscale last night, this tells us that our shipment will be leaving China next week.
Has it left china on time?

I just got mine today. I leave in Canada

This is my first post on this forum but expect more from me once I get some time to hack with it....

I have tons of ides for it but am completely new to the plug concept !

theblop

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 02:52:03 AM »

Did you receive your shipment? I pre-ordered a guruplug server a few months back with you and haven't had any update since.

We received a delivery update from Globalscale last night, this tells us that our shipment will be leaving China next week; this is sent over to Hong Kong then onto the UK by air. With previous orders once we are informed that the shipment has left China it normally takes about 7 days to get to us. But as I am sure most of us are aware of the disruption the volcano has caused the airlines, there maybe a small delay whilst they are clearing the backlog of freight being sent by air.
Once we have confirmation of the flight leaving Hong Kong we can then announce a firm delivery date to ourselves and therefore a despatch date for all orders.

Many thanks for you patience.

Kev

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 08:30:38 AM »

I just got my pre-order confirmation mail from the shop in germany. The guruplugs are estimated to be shipped next week on monday or tuesday to the customers (me Wink).

botdream

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 09:44:28 AM »

Hi guys,

also expecting to receive my 1st guruplug in a few days, can anyone confirm that guruplug stock linux distro is really Linux Debian 5.0 (Lenny).

Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: