• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SD Card problem  (Read 1326 times)
ruivilela

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2010, 05:04:38 AM »

Hi

I have sheevaplug since December working as a home server. Ethernet is plugged to the router. And has a USB 2.5 disk for data and swap. The Linux Gento runs from an SDHC card. with no power adapter. I fail to have a larger uptime than 5 days, due to 2 problems (other topic). 

After 3 months running Linux Gentoo on a Sdhc card with 8GB, class 4. It had problems with IO. I had to manually fix errors in other computer. It has a ext2 partitation. It booted again. After 12 hours the sheeva died, not sure how, because there was no log, or access to it. Strangely I could ping it. But ssh, httpd, nfsd dead. After booting on console, the system fixed the errors on partitation.

Now it works (since 1 hour). I keep reading other topics. Is the sd card life so short !!? I have a 256MB SD card on a camera working since 5 years. Is this plug related?

cjm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »

There are other threads around this subject but in a few words, SD cards (and other kinds of "cheap" flash memory) use wear-leveling algorithms that have been designed with FAT file systems and somewhat evenly spread write accesses in mind (like a camera that fills up the card, then all files are removed and everything starts over). The FAT area gets special treatment here (e.g. carefully aligned to erase block boundaries in the default partition layout) and some wear-leveling algorithms also peek into the FAT to find out which sectors are currently unused. Using those kinds of flash memory for a Linux root filesystem will wear them out quickly.

Check out the other threads like this one: http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=1074.0

In a nutshell, reduce writes by using "noatime" or "relatime" options, consider using ext2 instead of ext3 and move directories with frequent write accesses to ramdisks (tmpfs). Or, checkout the thread above to see how flashybrid can can automate this, copy files between ramdisk and stable storage and reduce writes to the root filesystem to the extent that all this won't matter anymore.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:58:58 PM by cjm » Logged

Fulks12

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:44:45 AM »

Hi

I have sheevaplug since December working as a home server. Ethernet is plugged to the router. And has a USB 2.5 disk for data and swap. The Linux Gento runs from an SDHC card. with no power adapter. I fail to have a larger uptime than 5 days, due to 2 problems (other topic). 

After 3 months running Linux Gentoo on a Sdhc card with 8GB, class 4. It had problems with IO. I had to manually fix errors in other computer. It has a ext2 partitation. It booted again. After 12 hours the sheeva died, not sure how, because there was no log, or access to it. Strangely I could ping it. But ssh, httpd, nfsd dead. After booting on console, the system fixed the errors on partitation.

Now it works (since 1 hour). I keep reading other topics. Is the sd card life so short !!? I have a 256MB SD card on a camera working since 5 years. Is this plug related?

Hi I have just got a Treo 600 from Orange. There was a 32MB SD card supplied. On initially inserting it all is well. But on quitting a program which is accessing it, its seems to be no longer recognized, and appears to be corrupt. Removing and re-inserting the card makes everything OK again, but permanently - it just goes back to square one. I tried out another SD card, but the same thing happens. Has anyone any ideas, or found these them?
I have checked the Handspring we-site, but I'm afraid finding a link to email technical support is like looking for a needle in a haystack, and their FAQs and troubleshooting pages don't cover this.

Good luck
Fulks12

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: