• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What the easiest pop3 server for the sheevaplug ?  (Read 2550 times)
peter a

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »

Hi , What the easiest pop3 server for the sheevaplug ?
I want something simple and easy to set up, All I want to do is mail myself system information without posting it to my isp and downloading it back again.
I`ve look at postfix , promail etc , but they look quite complex to set up.

So there anything for the linux newbee out there ?

Abra

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 05:41:32 PM »

It's actually a SMTP server that you want (server to which you can send mails), and then maybe a pop3/imap server (to read/retrieve mails from elsewhere).
Look at qmail or postfix (maybe there are other, smaller programs).
You will also need to set up your DNS accordingly.
To sum up, there is no really quick way, as there are at least two (three with pop3/imap) servers involved (you could also want webmail for example).
So you need to read some doc, sorry!
PS: I've read somewhere that the gentoo doc about qmail is good (replace emerge with apt-get, config should be the same), maybe you should start there.

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »

I`m having a go with Dovecot IMAP/POP3 Server and webmin to help me set it up.

I`ve read that is easy to set up , but like you said I`m missing parts to get it working, like dns ?

I do need a pop3 server not smtp server, I want to collect mail from windows outlook and serve it with the sheevaplug .

O.K , I`ve managed to log into the server ... so I part of it working !!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:27:55 PM by peter a » Logged

obarthelemy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »

You need to be clearer about what you want to do.

In post 1, you say "I want to send myself status messages without going through my ISP". (very frankly, that does not really require mail: have your plug post a log to a shared directory, and poll the log from your main PC)

In post 2 you say "I want to pull my mail to the Plug, then serve it from there". That is a classic Mail server: you need SMTP to send mail, and POP or IMAP to receive. IMAP is more flexible, ie it lets you , optionally, sync your mail both ways (deletions/moves on the client also get deleted/moved on the server), while POP is dumber (gets the mails, and that's it, no back sync). Unless you have specific needs, such a setup sounds way overkill though: you end up with your mail in 3 places (remote server, Plug, client), which opens the door for lotsa fun (for example if the 3 mailstores get de-synched while you're on a trip), for little or no purpose I can see (there are much easier ways to do backups).

Good luck

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:17:25 AM »

Hi , Obarthelemy
In post 1, you say "I want to send myself status messages without going through my ISP". (very frankly, that does not really require mail: have your plug post a log to a shared directory, and poll the log from your main PC)
Never thought of that, What I was originally trying to achieve was like I with the Linkstation pro which would send me a nightly report on disk status etc, but instead of it sending the message to my isp mailbox , which I would have to collect back, I wanted to collect the mail direct.
Since then thing have moved on a little, I have installed Dovecot as my e-mail pop3/? Server and Postfix as my smtp server.
So I guess all I need to do is collect the mail off my isp and deliver it to me.
In post 2 you say "I want to pull my mail to the Plug, then serve it from there". That is a classic Mail server: you need SMTP to send mail, and POP or IMAP to receive. IMAP is more flexible, ie it lets you , optionally, sync your mail both ways (deletions/moves on the client also get deleted/moved on the server), while POP is dumber (gets the mails, and that's it, no back sync). Unless you have specific needs, such a setup sounds way overkill though: you end up with your mail in 3 places (remote server, Plug, client), which opens the door for lots a fun (for example if the 3 mailstores get de-synched while you're on a trip), for little or no purpose I can see (there are much easier ways to do backups).
IMAP ? , never played with IMAP , so may have to try to get it working after I`ve sorted POPs out.
In the end, it`s just learning what a plug will do, and finding a good use for it, But agree with it been overkill. 

Good luck

I`ve needed it !!!!, looking in the logs and finding errors why it wasn`t working, fixing that error and just getting a new error which I have to google my way out of.

xoxox

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 11:58:52 PM »

Why not use python?

With a few lines of code you can send mails, even complex ones.

This is the smtlib to comunicate with a smtp server: http://docs.python.org/library/smtplib.html
And the email package to create the mail: http://docs.python.org/library/email-examples.html#email-examples

peter a

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:31:09 AM »

Thank, that looks o.k. for generating system message.
So far, I`m using Dovercot , Fetchmail , and postfix .But  don`t think they are fully set up right yet .

caseyg

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »

I don't have a sheevaplug yet and am in the market for one; but I intend, when I get it, to try Citadel. Have you or has anyone else tried it? I'm using at a full-fledged smtp/pop/imap/webmail/groupware server on my big machine at home.
http://www.citadel.org/doku.php
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9357

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: