• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Password Help  (Read 1629 times)
mmadison

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »

Silly question, but here goes...

I got my SheevaPlug awhile ago, but have to fit it's configuration in between everything else.  Somehow during the initial configuration, I messed up the original fs that was on the plug (I was getting bad CRC errors in U-boot).  I followed the instructions from http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Recovering_from_bad_kernel_flash and used kernal 2.6.30.5 from sheeva.with-linux.com.  Once I modified the boot args, I am able to get to a debian login prompt.  However, I have tried root/nosoup4u and several other passwords with no success.

What is the password or do I need to put on another kernel?

Thanks!

-Michael

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:49 PM »

The Ubuntu 9.04 root password is nosoup4u, have you changed the /etc/passwd file?
If you have not installed too much stuff on the plug`s FS, you could flash it with a new FS using the new installer (ESIA project in sourceForge).

mundhra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »

here's a link which doesn't directly apply to the plug, but is good for reference. i've never edited the boot commands to go into single user mode, but you could try that. doing something like booting a kernel pointing to a usb/sd root and then mounting and editing /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow on NAND should work.

here's more on the passwd and shadow files.

Abra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:58:18 PM »

or you can boot the gentoo install from tftp (search gentoo sheevaplug on google, this gives you an initrd and uimage), and then edit the passwd file.

tonybo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 04:53:18 AM »

Silly question, but here goes...

I got my SheevaPlug awhile ago, but have to fit it's configuration in between everything else.  Somehow during the initial configuration, I messed up the original fs that was on the plug (I was getting bad CRC errors in U-boot).  I followed the instructions from http://plugcomputer.org/plugwiki/index.php/Recovering_from_bad_kernel_flash and used kernal 2.6.30.5 from sheeva.with-linux.com.  Once I modified the boot args, I am able to get to a debian login prompt.  However, I have tried root/nosoup4u and several other passwords with no success.

What is the password or do I need to put on another kernel?

Thanks!

-Michael

I got the same problem 3 days ago...

add init=/bin/bash in the boot args line just after the root path claim...

you will boot with a bash and passwd root, reboot, you are done Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: