• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bug w/nfs-kernel-server old debian init script.  (Read 2460 times)
darkscout

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »

I finally decided I wanted an nfs server. But for the life of me I could not get it to work. Even went through all the trouble of getting cbxbiker61's custom kernel and still NOTHING.

There's something wrong with my init.d script (at least there is with mine). I have no idea why apt-get wasn't installing the latest  version, but it kept the old one.

It relates to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550153

If you get the error than nfs server isn't in the kernel, what you need to do is check your init script. There's a place where it greps /proc/kallsyms,  and the grep was wrong, causing it to fail.

A simple solution is to delete the init.d script, and do an apt-get install --reinstall nfs-kernel-server and you should be all good.

Or if you're 100% sure that it's compiled (check the .config) then just comment out the lines where it throws the error.

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:22:20 PM »

There is a bug with the script.  It's been posted here before (somewhere).

You need to edit nfs-kernel-server in /etc/init.d to allow for the fact that the symbol it looks for in /proc/kallsyms finds the new value.  Around line 66.  Needs to look like this:

Code:
#birdman - added s_fs as symbol changed to "init_nfs_fs" at 2.6.32.4
#
                # See if our running kernel supports the NFS kernel server
                if [ -f /proc/kallsyms ] && ! grep -qE 'init_nf(s_fs|sd|%tab%)' /proc/kallsyms; then
                        log_warning_msg "Not starting $DESC: no support in current kernel."
                        exit 0
                fi
BUT NOTE that the %tab% in the regex must be changed to a single tab character in the actual script

darkscout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »

You need to edit nfs-kernel-server in /etc/init.d to allow for the fact that the symbol it looks for in /proc/kallsyms finds the new value.  Around line 66.  Needs to look like this:

I deleted the file completely and it reinstalled a new one that worked, so it's fixed at least in unstable.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: