• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marvell does not make the SheevaPlug  (Read 2721 times)
jdonth

Azle, Texas

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2009, 08:18:57 AM »

I was talking to a rep from Marvell to get authorized for access to their extranet. In the course of the conversation he told me that Marvell doesn't make the SheevaPlug and is not responsible for support of it. I asked him via email who made and supported it. Here is his email response (bold words are mine):

the sheeva plug is manufactured by global scale technologies.  the support for the device is from them for the most part.  there are downloads available on the marvell public web site and then there are more downloads on the marvell secure web site.  the downloads and information on the public web site are for the purpose of getting the standard kit up and running and operational as a stand alone computer.  if you are looking to do development, which i think you are, then the downloads on the marvell site will be helpful.  but, the downloads on the secure web site assume that you are an experienced developer and will require some engineering work on your side as the the downloads are not specific to the sheeva plug and will require modification in order to be usable on the sheeva plug.  sorry that i did not make that clear.

by the way, i think we did discuss that the sheeva plug is not a product that is viable to ship as a production unit to your end customers.  it is stricly as development platform.  once you start the process of designing your own version of the sheeva plug, then all of the documenation on the marvell secure web site will be pertinent and marvell will fully support you in your design.

...I've always depended on the kindness of strangers

Pandemonium

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »

Interesting.  This explains why one of the products announced that uses the Sheevaplug (can't remember which it is) has a somewhat different form factor.  They used their own design for manufacturing.

I don't see, however, why you couldn't just use the original design to have Globalscale manufacture it, except with a custom decal, packaging,  and software.

If/when you get access to the extranet, keep us posted on what is available there.

karurosu
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:50:19 PM »

No surprise here, marvell has lots of documentation for the kirkwood series (or whatever the CPU is called), however in regards to the sheevaplug its more like a mirror.
Also, it is marketed as a SDK, and they do say that you can use the platform (not the sheeva).
As for the dev area, is probably for the entire platform, so you can customize it to your specific product (sheeva plug, etc)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: