• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Power on Reset  (Read 1194 times)
hideoushog

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:45:16 AM »

Most of the time I am nice to my plug and use the following to reboot.

shutdown -r now

Occasionally, things go awry and I have to insert a paperclip and do a reset.

That is fine and the machine reboots (Fastish SD card, 20 secs or so). Very occasionally I turn the plug off and when I turn it back on it boots only into the Marvell >> prompt. Is there a way to boot the kernel from power on.

This is important to me because I intend to have a plug server in France and we get regular power glitches. Sadly my paperclip is not long enough  Roll Eyes so if there is no solution I will have to go for a partial solution of a UPS.

MarkF

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »

I'm a bit confused.  What did you mean when you wrote this:
Is there a way to boot the kernel from power on.

When I plug in my plug, it boots.  When I power-cycle (remove power, re-attach power) my plug, it boots.  When I use the reset command (shutdown -r now) or reset button, it boots.  I'm sorry, I know I'm missing your point.

I have my plug monitoring it's UPS using NUT.  The plug sends commands to another NUT enabled server on the same UPS when the power and/or battery state changes.  I have not discharged my UPS battery completely; but, I've tried to set the configurations so the other server will stay up until the battery is 50% discharged and the plug will do a "shutdown -h now" when the UPS battery is almost dead.  My next step is an IP enabled power strip to let someone or something power cycle either the plug or the other server remotely.  I'm a big fan of "fix it from where ever I'm sitting". Smiley

Mark

hideoushog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:05:59 AM »

Problem found.
When you do a reset using the reset pushbutton switch or a soft shutdown the machine re-boots into linux.
When you do a reset by power cycling the machine fails to boot linix because

When you power on you need to do mmcinit twice in order to get the SDcard to work properly.

Then Power on reset works fine.

yaayaa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »

Well, I think I understand the problem since I have the same.....

When I reboot the sheeva, everything works fine.
But when I do a cold restart (unplug/replug), then the process stalls, I have to do do a manual reset to boot.

The problem occurs when you boot from an SD card.
Adding a double mmcinit command is a workaround for some, but it doesn't work for me.

I really hope someone find a solution, since it is a real problem to manually reboot the sheeva whenever there is a powerloss...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: