• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Author Topic: New QT based installer: Easy Plug Computer Installer (ESIA)  (Read 71108 times)
meldini@ngi.it

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 03:30:59 AM »

i have download new version of "root.tar.gz" at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/esia/files/distros/debian_squeeze_usb_app.tar.bz2/download
and now works fine!!!!
it's great for the newbie users!!!
thanks rooster  Smiley

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 04:13:07 AM »

I am uploading the following distros with kernel 2.6.33 with rootfs renaming:
- ubuntu 9.04
- debian squeeze & lenny
- gentoo
- fedora12

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 04:38:35 AM »

I installed ESIA version 2.04 on winxp. Then downloaded the ubuntu 9.04 file. After unpacking i put the 4 files in the root of a 1gb usb stick (fat32). THen i ran ESIA and it finds the plug but on the applications tab i get: a valid usb device Sheevaplug applications was not found.

The same usb stick works fine when using the 'old' sheevapluginstaller.

I have read the quick howto many times but don't know how to proceed.

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 06:19:30 AM »

The 4 files should be in a directory called Ubuntu904, so the DOK should have the following:
/Ubuntu904/MANIFEST.cfg
/Ubuntu904/root.tar.gz
/Ubuntu904/modules.tar.gz
/Ubuntu904/uImage

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 06:21:18 AM »

The 4 files should be in a directory called Ubuntu904, so the DOK should have the following:
/Ubuntu904/MANIFEST.cfg
/Ubuntu904/root.tar.gz
/Ubuntu904/modules.tar.gz
/Ubuntu904/uImage

tried it already, but same message

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »

And you started the Esia after windows found the DOK, right?
If that fails try another DOK if you have some laying around.

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 11:27:16 PM »

And you started the Esia after windows found the DOK, right?
If that fails try another DOK if you have some laying around.

I don't understand the meaning of your first sentence. Is it correct when: I copied the Ubuntu904 directory with the 4 files inside to the usb stick (1GB, fat32). This usbstick i put in the sheeva and then wait a bit and thereafter start the ESIA.

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 12:20:45 AM »

OK, so here is the procedure to use the Esia:
- Connect a fat32 formatted DOK to your PC
- Unpack the tarball (one of the distro tarballs), in your case the Ubuntu904 to the USB DOK
- Connect the SheevaPlug to the PC via mini USB cable and power it up
- Open a console application (like TeraTerm) to stop the SheevaPlug uboot countdown by clicking "enter" during the countdown
- Close the console application
- Start the Esia application, it should show after several seconds that it found the Plug (identification the MAC address) and presenting the "Application"s (distros) that are present on the DOK
- Select the Plug that you want to install the uboot/Ubuntu
- Select the "Application" you want to burn to the plug, in your case the Ubuntu904
- After selecting where to install the Distro (NAND or MMC if available), a pop-up will indicate you to safely disconnect the USB DOK from the PC and connect the DOK to the SheevaPlug
- After connecting the USB DOK to the SheevaPlug, acknowledge the pop-up and start the burning phase

I will post a more detailed description with screen shots next week, I hope the above will help you.

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »

Thanks, these are more detailed instructions. I'll try them soon.

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 07:23:25 AM »

Take a look at https://sourceforge.net/projects/esia/files/docs/v2.0.4/Esia_walkthrough.pdf/download.
I hope this walk through description will help ESIA users to get it up and running.

emstester

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »

tried this one on windows xp pro sp3

1. Install ESIA v 2.04. Uboot directory does not come pre-installed so you need to have it manually created at c:\program files\ESIA\uboot. and U-boot env variables should also be created with uboot-dflt.txt on c:\program files\ESIA\uboot\uboot-env\,

2. I have the distro on the DOK (fat32 formatted) Fedora12 and Debian_Lenny directory having the 4 files uImage, root.tar.gz, modules.tar.gz, MANIFEST.cfg. connected to the other USB port of winxp pc.

3. Connect Sheevaplug va miniUSB and stop the marvell uboot prompt. Marvell>>, reflashing uboot works fine with the work around on #1 (can this come pre-installed during ESIA installation?)

4. Reflash Distro on the plug for the first time. Failed Error copy on USB, initrd file is missing. See attched error (initrd.jpg)

5. On problem 4, I have copied the initrd on c:\program files\ESIA\ a new problem appears see attached (errorplug)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 08:13:07 PM by emstester » Logged

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 01:18:14 AM »

oops, I did not notice this since I installed v2.0.4 on top of 2.0.2, to fix this issue please install v2.0.2 and then install v2.0.4.
I will get a fixed installer drop.

I also added the windows missing files @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/esia/files/bin/v2.0.4/setupESIA-2.0.4.exe_missing_files.zip/download, you can perform clean installation of v2.0.4 and unpack the zip file to the ESIA directory in your Program Files.
I tested it for uboot and distro flashing and it worked fine, hope it will resolve your problems too  Smiley

emstester

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 02:53:11 AM »

Grin , will try after it finished downloading,

edit:

what is the difference of the uImage of the windows missing files you uploaded compared to the uImage at the distro?

If I want to reflash multiple sheevaplug, do I need to reconnect the DOK to the PC or just re-do everything a the first step?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 03:51:42 AM by emstester » Logged

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 08:57:47 AM »

what is the difference of the uImage of the windows missing files you uploaded compared to the uImage at the distro?
The uImage+initrd are used for bringing up ram based linux (initrd) that is responsible to burn the kernel+distro to the nand/mmc, each distro can use different uImage according to your choosing.

The two uImages differ in version and the fact the uImage I zipped has several device drivers linked in (not as *.ko files) that are needed for the burning procedure.

If I want to reflash multiple sheevaplug, do I need to reconnect the DOK to the PC or just re-do everything a the first step?
You need to go over the procedure for every plug, the Esia does NOT support multiple plug burning though it will show you all discovered device.

knireis

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 12:50:03 PM »

I followed your steps and used the provided uboot files. Flashing uboot works but my mac address is changed to 00:50:43:a6:0c:23. The dialog told me it would use my existing mac but it did not. I ran the bootflash again and entered my sheeva's mac, but the mac is still wrong. How can i solve this?

Edit: fixed it with 'setenv ethaddr xx.xx.xx.xx.xx'

Edit 2:  I can confirm that flashing to nand and mmc with the ESIA work fine.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:28:18 PM by knireis » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to: