• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: New QT based installer: Easy Plug Computer Installer (ESIA)  (Read 74674 times)
rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »

Will it be hard to add a backup option to this application without having to reflash your plug?
It is not hard to add it, but needs time and releasing of binaries for all OSes and 64bit, I currently do not have the time to do this task.

The ESIA project was created by Marvell as open source project assuming the community will contribute any additional features after the basic functionality is implemented.

Sorry  Sad

uko

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2010, 06:53:52 AM »

Will it be hard to add a backup option to this application without having to reflash your plug?
It is not hard to add it, but needs time and releasing of binaries for all OSes and 64bit, I currently do not have the time to do this task.

The ESIA project was created by Marvell as open source project assuming the community will contribute any additional features after the basic functionality is implemented.

Sorry  Sad

Sorry for such demand)))
But can anyone tell me or give any link, to how backup your sheevaplug?

hanker

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »

But can anyone tell me or give any link, to how backup your sheevaplug?

See my post in this thread:

http://plugcomputer.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=935.0

Start where it says, "Copy the Debian installation to SDHC card"

Then use my example rsync command to make a bootable backup of the SDHC card. That's about all I can tell you, but I'll say that it works well.

phampson

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2010, 05:53:51 AM »

I actually use the backup utility in Esia but it does mean that you have to wipe your plug after the backups run.

So I do the following

Install debian squeeze to the plug checking the backup plug option
Take the backup package and rename the directory to make it meaningful and changing the entry in Manifest.cfg to be the same as the renamed directory.
Finally install this new package to the plug

Ive then used this backup to install to other plugs.

Paul

uko

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2010, 01:46:01 PM »

Me too, just was asking to make it easier)))

ike

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 18, 2010, 04:38:39 AM »

Very cool Smiley
Got Debian Squeeze installed in no time flat Smiley
Thanks for making this great tool!

BP

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2010, 10:24:16 PM »

Hi all,

Are "autofs" related modules installed with other modules during the ESIA process ? 
I get the following error at the end of "apt-get install autosf" ...

Starting automounter: loading autofs4 kernel module,FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.30.2/modules.dep: No such file or directory
 no automount maps defined.

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
root@ubuntu:/#

Installing autosf was taking place immediately after the following "restart from scratch" steps:

1- install ubuntu 9.04 with ESIA, boot from sd card
2- disconnect plug power cable
3- disconnect serial cable
4- remove usb DOK
5- connect ethernet to router
6- reconnect plug power cable
7- wait 1-2 minutes
8- open SSH connection
9- login with root/nosoup4u
10- apt-get update
11- apt-get install nano
12- apt-get install samba
13- modifying smb.conf as per wiki instructions to add two shares (1 for external drive, 1 for rootfs)
14- reload samba
15- change the name in the /etc/hostname

I read many post of different people mentionning autofs as a good solution for automounting usb drive on the plug, so I understand they were able to install it....  Did they load additional modules manually or did something went wrong with my install ?  (I got no error message)

Many thanks,

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2010, 10:30:44 PM »

It looks like the modules.dep is missing from your module.tar.gz tarball, try to download a more resent kernel and modules tarball from http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/ and verify that it does include this file.

Regarding autofs, search the modules.tar.gz to see if you can locate this kernel module to make sure it is being installed via ESIA.

Remember to change the MANIFEST file MD5 signature after the replacement of uImage/modules.tar.gz

BP

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:20 PM »

HI rooster,

By the way, many thanks for that great great great tool for non-linux folks ;-) !

I already tried to replaced the two files uImage and modules.tar.gz with the ones from version 2.6.34.1 on that link you refer to, but then the ESIA said my apllication package on the USB DOK was broken...  Now I understand it is related to the Manifest file that need to be updated.  Is there anywhere a tutorial or page to read to learn how to do proceed to that MD5 signature update ?

best regards,

BP

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2010, 11:10:37 PM »

Hey, me again ;-)

I googled and found what is MD5, and downloaded a utility to generate the key. Should be ok.
[EDIT] oups... I found later that MD5 signature were provided (the .MD5 files) along with uImage/modules.tar.gz  on http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/ .  No need to download a generator.

For the modules in the tarball, I saw nothing even close to "autofs"... 

Anyone, any clue on where to find and how to install autofs specific modules would be appreciated (without reinstalling the complete rootfs of course)

thanks again,
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 08:45:37 PM by BP » Logged

rooster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2010, 12:16:32 AM »

I found it in sheeva-2.6.34.1-Modules.tar\lib\modules\2.6.34.1\kernel\fs\autofs\autofs.ko, it could be that the kernel version you have did not include this device driver, you can build it yourself if you want or proceed to a later version.

Device drivers are added to the build according to plug users requests.

birdman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2010, 04:17:34 PM »

I found it in sheeva-2.6.34.1-Modules.tar\lib\modules\2.6.34.1\kernel\fs\autofs\autofs.ko, ...
Although it will be the autofs4/autofs4.ko one that you really want.

BP

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »

Thanks guys, 

I reinstalled Ubuntu 9.04 using ESIA + new uImage and modules file from the http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/2.6.34.1 .  Everything went fine, but no luck, same message at the end of the autofs install...

I post a request for help to cmxbiker61 to see if the needed modules should be "installed" or not since they show in the modules tarball.  Also ask how I could install manually, and if he plan to include them (should I say "in the kernel" ?)  as I understood he seems to be the master of all those new version of kernel.

In the meantime, I will keep searching and reading, worst case I will have to find another solution than autofs for automounting.

Will keep you posted,

BP

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »

Rooster,

cbxbiker61 pointed me that it looks like I am still running 2.6.30.2 according to the error message...

Code:
Starting automounter: loading autofs4 kernel module,FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.30.2/modules.dep: No such file or directory
 no automount maps defined.

But I reinstalled ubuntu 9.04 with ESIA using the rootfs file from your forgenet repository, along with the uImage and modules files from the http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/2.6.34.1 ...  MD5 signature updated in the MANIFEST did work I think because the ESIA interface showed applications ok as opposed to broken before updating MD5. 

I will double check everything tonigth, and do uname -a, but would you have any clue what could cause this?

Thanks again,

BP

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »

Hi rooster,   it's me again  Embarrassed

yeap, uname -a return 2.6.30.2 kernel version...

I double checked and I can confirm I did the ubuntu install with ESIA using
  • the rootfs file from your forgenet repository,
  • the uImage and modules files from the http://sheeva.with-linux.com/sheeva/2.6.34.1 ... 
  • MD5 signature to support, I got the same as provided in the repository (the the equivalent .MD5 file for each)

I thought for a moment that maybe I had to reinstall the uboot, but according to ESIA interface descriptions, kernell and modules are installed with the app.

Any idea what could make ESIA not replace the kernel ?  During installation, there is a box i did not checked off because freezing the installation and not mentionned in the walkthrough document.  It is the "boot from mmc" just above the "backup ..." in the very last window.  Wasn't sure what it was for since I already selected "install to mmc" in a previous step, and again selecting it made the process freeze at 0% forever.

Hope this would help you help me :-),  i am getting desperate...

many thanks,

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to: