• Home
  • Help
  • Search
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 'Cannot open root device "mtdblock2"' when flashing from USB.  (Read 7352 times)
plugcomp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 01:59:31 AM »

Hey Pandemonium,
Looks like you might have  a corrupt ubuntu image. When I write the ubuntu image to the NAND flash, the number of blocks written is 0x87e0000.

Also, if you plan to try USB recovery (if not tired of using it), then I will suggest you to try this step as well(be very careful with this command else you can erase your uboot) :

Marvell>> nand erase 0x100000 0x1ff00000

This should do a nand flash erase from uboot.

Then try
Marvell>> rcvr

Hope this helps.

Pandemonium

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 08:04:23 AM »

Ah, that's it.  Mine is 0x87c0000.

But the question is "why?".  I've redownloaded the image twice, and one of the times I reformatted my USB drive one of the times and started from scratch.

I'm about to try it with a different flash drive.  I'll let you know what happens.

Pandemonium

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »

I just did a NAND flash erase from uboot and then flashed it using a new USB drive wit the images freshly downloaded from the Marvell site.  Same thing.  It finishes writing mtd2 at 87c0000 and does a kernel panic when I reboot.

Plugcomp, do you still have the ubuntu image that you successfully flashed?  What is the filesize?  The one I download from Marvell is 135.9MB (142,475,264 bytes).

Pandemonium

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 10:55:04 AM »

I got it.  Finally.

The root filesystem image that Marvell has posted on their site is corrupt.  The stupid thing stole three days of my life while I tried to figure it out.

I got the idea after reading your suggestions over here:
http://openplug.org/plugforum/index.php?topic=133.0
I pulled out the original CD, and noticed that the filesystem zip is 132MB, whereas the one on their site is only 538k.  That should have been a strong indicator that something was wrong with the website one, but it zipped out to a big file, so I assumed it just had some amazingly good compression.

Anyway, I flashed my plug using the image from the disk, and it works fine.  It's currently the same version number as what they have posted online (9.0.5).

So, that's the answer: use the image from the disk, not from the website.  Thanks plugcomp for all the help.  No thanks to Marvell for wasting our time with corrupt crap left on their site for long periods of time.

If anyone has lost their disk, I'm uploading the zip of the 9.0.5 filesystem right here:
http://djpandemonium.com/plug/SheevaPlug_FileSystem.zip

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to: